What's new

Wireless solution to bridge a 15' gap?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KenS

New Around Here
Hi All. I've got a mostly wired home. I'm looking at switching my ISP to AT&T fiber, but AT&T will only install to an exterior wall. This prevents me from connecting their ONT/gateway to my main switch. I do have a wired connection on an opposite wall from where they want to install. Unfortunately there's no attic access above that room. What's the best wireless solution for bridging that short distance? I don't really need a router or full mesh system. I just need to bridge a 15 foot gap w/o wires. Is there something more appropriate than access points? Speed is the primary concern. Thanks!

This doesn't seem like a good idea to keep your performance up. Either move the switch to the ONT location or run a cable. IT's 15' and you can surely find a way to hide it somewhere.

Thanks for the reply. I'll explain how I rationalize this, and feel free to tell me I'm crazy.

First, the bandwidth of current wireless options far exceed my needs. I intend to sign up for 300mbs service. My household consists of four people. The only time bandwidth matters is when my son or I purchase large games on steam. Otherwise, our typical "worst-case-scenario" is four of us streaming concurrently (which never happens). I'm guessing four 1080p streams is probably less than 35mbs.

Second, it feels like wired ISPs are on their way out. In a few years, cell providers and/or satellite operators will be competitive ISP options. If that's the case, my problem (and solution) is temporary.

Third, "in-house" traffic would still be wired. Copying from machine-to-machine, or streaming from the plex server (for instance) wouldn't travel over wi-fi.

The reason we're considering switching form our current cable-based ISP to fiber is reliability, not speed. I'm currently with an outfit called Suddenlink, and every 60 days or so we have a 12+ hour outage. That's a deal killer for us.

Anyway, am I off base here? Thanks!

That's interesting! The tech came out yesterday and said there was no other option. Maybe I just got a bad tech.

Show him the PDF I linked.

He should have a job-aid on his tablet that ID's the parts and time required.

(don't ask how I know this, but it's true...)

BTW - you will get an RG with the install, and that is your "router" - if you want/need to use a third party router/AP, then you'll have to place it in the RG's DMZ - pretty straight forward there.

ATT installed the ONT inside my house at a point where i provided an empty duplex receptacle box. We pulled the fiber cable through underground conduit to the outside wall. I had pre-drilled through the exterior to provide the cable entry, later sealed with silicone outside and in the exterior wall sheathing. Make sure the wall penetration goes slightly upwards from outside to inside or you will have rain dripping in eventually. There should also be a couple loops of cable on the outside to act as a drip leg as well. We passed the FO with carrier wire through the wall and through the back of the duplex box and through the ONT. He stripped it back and terminated the fiber. Plugged in power, ethernet cable, and viola, Gbit ethernet started flowing .

BTW, you can locate the RG anywhere reasonable near the ONT location. Even remote, if you have CAT6 or RG6 coax (for MOCA 2.5) for a homerun to a central wiring point. If remote, the tech will usually want to do the setup and test with it at the ONT. You can move it later. That avoids the customer wiring being an issue that they will happily want to repair for you for a high fee.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Another tech came out and hooked me up. It was clearly not his first rodeo.

Thanks all. Another tech came out and hooked me up. It was clearly not his first rodeo.

Bingo - if AT&T is going to roll a truck out to the customer premises, the tech is on the hook (pardon the pun) to make sure that the job is done.

With ATT Fiber (business or residential) - it's the ONT and RG install, and testing to ensure that both wired and wireless works properly before closing out the job ticket.

(BTW - a truck roll these days is about $200US to have a tech onsite, so obviously this is an 'investment' by the service provider to keep the end customer as an ongoing paying customer)