What's new

(WISP) Second WAN from wifi.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

berez

Occasional Visitor
Is possible to set second (emergency) WAN connection from wifi?

My primary WAN is on RJ45.

When primary fails I want make AP from my smartphone and get internet connection (from my Asus router as secondary WAN) in my whole home network (devices connected via LAN cable)

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Not supported by Asuswrt.

Is possible to set second (emergency) WAN connection from wifi?

My primary WAN is on RJ45.

When primary fails I want make AP from my smartphone and get internet connection (from my Asus router as secondary WAN) in my whole home network (devices connected via LAN cable)

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka
Why not use a cheap Android device, plug it in via USB and set dual WAN to use this if primary fails.
When it does, just let the Android connect to your mobile (SM-G935F) via Hotspot.

Why not use a cheap Android device, plug it in via USB and set dual WAN to use this if primary fails.
When it does, just let the Android connect to your mobile (SM-G935F) via Hotspot.

This is good solution, but I'm using other "Android Device" for similar solution, and when is always at "charging battery mode" the battery life is very short. I have to replace battery to the new one in 12-16 months period.

I found another solution:

https://aliexpress.com/item/Vonets-...or-Smart-Phone-Tablet-Supply/32792212728.html

I hope it will be works fine

@berez looks like a good cheap way to do it.
You'll configure dual WAN and set the secondary type as one of the LAN ports. Plug that devices LAN cable into it and you're good to go.
Let us know how it goes.

one fun thing here is using a Pi3 - can either run OpenWRT on it (fun, but non-trival), or play with iptables on raspbian and use that - to the router, the Pi looks like a WAN connection - challenge with both is one can be in a double-NAT

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!