What's new

WNDR3700 or ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smgoff

Occasional Visitor
Based on review here and elsewhere, I've recently tried to obtain a new router to replace my aged D-Link DI-614+. I tried the Belkin N+, which had great wireless strength and throughput with my laptop and iPhone 3G S, but I could not get it to provide both internet access and security of any sort, WPA, WPA2 or WEP. Others have had similar problems, and firmware updates did not help, so it went back. Then I tried the WNDR3700. Despite the lack of 64-bit support for its setup wizard, I was able to easily set it up manually, and to set up dual band secured networks, a guest network, and a USB drive. But it would lose internet access on all clients after 15 or so minutes, and would regain internet access only if turned off and back on, and then only for another 15 minutes. Also, the internet light on the front never lit up, though access could be had for a short time. After considerable time on the phone with customer support, they told me the unit was defective and should be returned. I did so, and would have returned home with another WNDR3700, but the store was out.

So I am rethinking my options, while waiting for the WNDR3700 to come back into stock.

My setup includes a Motorola Surfboard modem; a home office computer connected to the router by ethernet; an HP laptop with an Intel b/g/n built-in client; the iPhone 3G S, an Xbox used as a Media Center extender for playing back recorded TV shows and connected by ethernet; two HTPC's connected by ethernet; an HP EX 495 server on the way, also connected by ethernet; and two Blu-ray players and and HD-DVD player, which I would like to connect by ethernet. I have a D-Link DGS-2205 to connect the HTPC, xbox, blu-ray player, and HD DVd player in my home theater. These will only require traffic serially.

It seems to me that I could benefit from a N or dual-band router with gigabit ethernet ports. I want to try the WNDR3700 again, but am wondering whether another router would suffice, and what my backup plan should be if the WNDR doesn't work out. I've read the reviews and comparison charts. Any advice would be useful.

Last edited:
If you are looking for the best all around dual band solution the WNDR3700 is your best option. Second place may be the Dlink DIR-825 B1 but there's a couple dual band options that may call themselves second fiddle to the WNDR3700.

best buy has it on sale right now for a whopping $10 off and I suppose you could order online and have it shipped to you....

With only one N client, the WNDR3700 could be overkill. If your needs are basic, most any N router should work for you.

Why did you replace the DI-614+?

I've been trying to replace the DI-614+ because the wireless b throughput is not great, the range is passable but not great, and the security was harder to set up and less secure than WPA2. With the D-Link my iPhone is faster using 3G than my home network. Its been a long time since I looked into it, but problems with setup eventually led me to leave the network unsecured. I've just updated the 614+ firmware and see that it supports WPA-PSK, so I may give that a try. EDIT: The manual says that WPA is available, but the router only shows WEP.

I've also just added the DGS-2205, the Xbox, and two HTPCs, which are not yet fully integrated into the system. (I'm still in the building/testing/configuring mode for the computers.) I thought that the 614+ is a gigabit switch, but I'm not sure anymore, and routing performance may be important for my intended use, sending hi-def video and audio over the network to the HTPCs and the Xbox.

I also liked the USB connection on the new routers, and thought I might be able to use my USB drive for backing up all of the computers, though this could also be done by the server.

My trials with the Belkin N+ and WNDR3700 showed better WiFi coverage and throughput, until a I ran into the described problems. But maybe I don't need all of the capabilities of the WNDR3700. I guess I just tried to go with the best after the frustration of trying to get the Belkin to work.

Last edited:
You can try to replace the 614 with a cheap 802.11b/g router. Since your 11n client seems to be 2.4Ghz, it is a good idea to have a secondary router/WAP for 11b/g clients so that the 2.4Ghz 11n stream do not slow down.

TP-Link often gets great reviews for its value and supports 64/128 bit WEP and WPA1/WPA2 PSK TKIP or AES wireless encryption. They used to be super cheap but TP-Link caught on and repriced some of their models
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...-details.asp?EdpNo=4824256&csid=ITD&body=MAIN
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/broadband/tp-link/tl-wr340g/280144

There are worse routers you can buy for $15, but use this as an Access Point for the 614 instead.

Then get the supreme 11n router of your choice to replace the gateway. You seem to have money and the WNDR3700 should be a router that you may not need to replace for a long time. THe DIR-825 is also a good choice if you have smaller coverage for 802.11n clients.

My laptop has the Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN, which I think does both 5 and 2.4Ghz. If I recall, the laptop saw both the 2.4 and the 5Ghz streams. I was going to try to connect the laptop to the 5Ghz stream if it has enough range/coverage and the iPhone to the 2.4Ghz. But I'll think about your suggestion.

I forgot that the 614+ is an "enhanced" 11b router. Yep way past time for an upgrade, since it also has only a 10/100 switch.

Since you have a NAS, don't bother trying the USB-based storage features on routers. They are way slower than you'll have on the HP EX 495.

I don't know what the problem was on the Belkin N+ if you were trying to set wireless security manually. We did have problems getting WPS to work, though.

Yes, the Intel 5300 client supports both bands, so go ahead and get a dual-band router if you want to try 5 GHz. The WNDR3700 or DIR-825 should work fine.

Thanks, I think I'll just try another WNDR3700.

My setup is pretty close to yours and I have no issues with Belkin N+ router replacing my DIR-655 as the main which is now AP for 802.11n clients only an alone side Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 for 802.11g clients only.

WNDR3700 firmware needs work...

I tried two different WNDR3700 and was not very impressed. The firmware is lacking right now imo, but if they get it right it should be great.

iPhone was unuseable on it... and PC connectivity was jittery playing back Youtube videos.

I put my LinkSys WRT300N back in place and all problems were gone...

I like the WRT610N v2 as a high end option for a small net.

I tried two different WNDR3700 and was not very impressed. The firmware is lacking right now imo, but if they get it right it should be great.

iPhone was unuseable on it... and PC connectivity was jittery playing back Youtube videos.

I put my LinkSys WRT300N back in place and all problems were gone...

I like the WRT610N v2 as a high end option for a small net.

Sounds like the multi-media streaming features issue again that I had in my prior Netgear N Wireless Router. I don't think Netgear can fix that bug. Belkin N+ doesn't have this issue and I stream/record and watch media daily.

The Belkin N+ drove me nuts. It worked great until I tried to apply security of any sort, and then it always lost the internet connection. I would have kept it but for that, since it seemed to provide great wireless coverage, better than the WNDR3700.

The Belkin N+ drove me nuts. It worked great until I tried to apply security of any sort, and then it always lost the internet connection. I would have kept it but for that, since it seemed to provide great wireless coverage, better than the WNDR3700.

Settings have to be applied when it's in the full router modem prior to putting into AP mode only which also includes security and updating the firmware. I just picked up another one V1 with the stronger wi-fi chipset since V2 is made poorly (crap) and V3 is not out with the newer chipsets from broadcom. Removing the D-LINK DIR-655 off my list and stick that back in the box. Even with updated firmware still has DNSRelay issues and cant' access certain web sites.

I only tried to use the Belkin as a router.

Okay it does have a feature to switch it from Router to Access Point. If you ever decided to go back to the N+ look out for V1 hardware skip V2. V3 not out yet but is coming.

I think I'm going to try the DIR-655, since the WNDR3700 is not now available locally and I don't want to risk trying another without the ability to take it back locally. We'll see how this goes.

I think I'm going to try the DIR-655, since the WNDR3700 is not now available locally and I don't want to risk trying another without the ability to take it back locally. We'll see how this goes.

Why do you think I am using Belkin N+ V1, because the DIR-655 not working like it was suppose too. I can't even use mine, they have these feature called DNSRelay like a buffering holding node data, but the feature doesn't work! The so call firmware updates get worst and worst with every new release.

WNDR3700 is one of those specialty promise routers. I am not touching it, I am not going to buy it never! I am happy with my two Belkin N+ V1 (also available at Costco)

I just installed the DIR-655, and it works great so far with my laptop and iPhone using WPA2 security. Speed Test results on the iPhone went from 1 kbps download, 23 kbps upload to 7797 kbps download, 1511 kbps upload.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!