What's new

WOL works for standby, hibernation but not shutdown

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

channeledbymodem

New Around Here
As I understand it, WOL works the same way for standby, hibernation and shutdown but at the moment I cannot wake from shutdown, which would be desirable.

MB is Asrock 890GX Pro 3 with Atheros 8151 network adapter. Windows update tells me I have the latest driver for the NIC. In Device Manager in the Atheros settings, "wake from shutdown" and wake from magic packet are enabled. The pc does wake from sleep and hibernation.

BTW, the power tab of the 1.40 bios no longer has the option "enable power on from pcie devices" that appeared in earlier versions of the bios.

As a side note I haven't found any sw that will allow me to shut down the machine remotely.

I am only concerned with resolving these issues within my home network.

Is there something I am overlooking?

TIA,
Ron

As I understand it, WOL works the same way for standby, hibernation and shutdown but at the moment I cannot wake from shutdown, which would be desirable.

MB is Asrock 890GX Pro 3 with Atheros 8151 network adapter. Windows update tells me I have the latest driver for the NIC. In Device Manager in the Atheros settings, "wake from shutdown" and wake from magic packet are enabled. The pc does wake from sleep and hibernation.

BTW, the power tab of the 1.40 bios no longer has the option "enable power on from pcie devices" that appeared in earlier versions of the bios.

As a side note I haven't found any sw that will allow me to shut down the machine remotely.

I am only concerned with resolving these issues within my home network.

Is there something I am overlooking?

TIA,
Ron
You may have to check in the BIOS for something like "Allow WOL from S4/S5 state".

Just to follow up on this problem, it is now solved. It seems that Asrock likes to add and subtract bios options somewhat arbitrarily. I flashed my bios to another version and found there was now an option to power on from pci devices that was missing before.

So now wake from shutdown works.

Love this MB but it has its quirks.

This is the second bios related problem I've had with this MB that would never have been answered in the normal course of message board user support.

Sigh.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!