What's new

Workaround or fix for slow upload speeds on Asus Zenwifi XT8 w/Verizon Fios?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have Verizon gigabit at my house......I used to have the Netgear Orbi RBK50 which worked pretty well but I wanted to upgrade to WIFI 6 as well as have separate 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi, so I got the Asus Zenwifi XT8, the router plus three nodes.....the coverage is pretty good, but the speeds, speciifically the upload speeds, are significantly slower than it should be.......I was getting close to 900 up and down with both the Verizon router and the Netgear Orbi, so I know I'm getting the speeds I'm supposed to.....I've read that this Asus router has issues w/Verizon Fios.....I've read and tried the options such as resetting the ONT, puting a switch between the ONT and the router, done multiple factory resets, etc.

What i was wondering is if anyone else is having this issue? I thought about just using the Verizon router as the router and setting up the separate networks within it, and setting up the Zenwifi in AP mode then for the mesh wifi network. Will this hopefully work? And I'm past the return window.........
I have the same issue. I spent hours with Asus tech support. They sent me a replacement unit and I just tested it with the same result. And then I found this thread...

I guess I'll play the game and send my old unit back. Unfortunately, I gave my older router away.

I have the same issue. I spent hours with Asus tech support. They sent me a replacement unit and I just tested it with the same result. And then I found this thread...

I guess I'll play the game and send my old unit back. Unfortunately, I gave my older router away.
I just tried turning off the radios from the ASUS router to see if that would positively affect the APs...no dice.

Having read a bunch of threads on this, I have made some tweaks to my Wireless and Professional settings. It's by no means perfect, but I am now getting 700/300 with the XT8s set in AP mode. I've attached them here. This is for the 5Ghz-2 band.
XT8 - wireless.png

XT8 - professional.png

I tried these settings and it went from 510/137 to 514/10.4 :(
This is another example of why this HW is maddening. I'm going to assume you're on the latest firmware and that your XT8s are in AP mode? Did you reboot both the APs and your router?

Last edited:
This is another example of why this HW is maddening. I'm going to assume you're on the latest firmware and that your XT8s are in AP mode? Did you reboot both the APs and your router?

I'm back up to 499/159 using your settings. Agree that it's maddening!

same issue on gt-axe16000, put fios on lan port and using my fail over tmobile internet on my 10g port, 2.5g port to a xt8

has anyone mac address cloned the wan port to something else? i'm thinking to try that tonight and clone the fios router i received , i just realized my ax11000 that i had previously cloned my fios router a few years back

I found out that you CAN do it by choosing Lan Port 1 instead.

I have a 400/400 plan and this is what I get:
LAN: 510/560
WiFi: 372/264

I'll have to change it back and see what it was before.

I had to register just to reply Grayson73 post.

Yes!. I have 1GB/1GB FIOS internet service and was getting 800M/200MB with wired LAN. After I enabled the Dual WAN and switched my Primary WAN to LAN Port 1, I am now getting 800MB/800MB!!!!

Edit: I don't have Verizon's router and using ZenWifi-AX as router.

Yes!. I have 1GB/1GB FIOS internet service and was getting 800M/200MB with wired LAN. After I enabled the Dual WAN and switched my Primary WAN to LAN Port 1, I am now getting 800MB/800MB!!!!

you have the asus xt8 mesh system? I think I tried it and it didn’t work for me. Maybe I’ll try again…….

I thought using Verizon's router is required. You can plug XT8 directly to the Verizon ONT? What do you lose if you do that?

you have the asus xt8 mesh system? I think I tried it and it didn’t work for me. Maybe I’ll try again…….
Correct. I have XT8 mesh system. Remember, 800mb/800mb is for wired LAN. This setting does change my wifi download upload speed, which is still slow - 300mb/200mb with wifi 5, but I don’t care for the wifi speed.

Last edited:
I thought using Verizon's router is required. You can plug XT8 directly to the Verizon ONT? What do you lose if you do that?
I am plugging my xt8 to Verison ONT. but, instead of plugging 2.5/10 WAN port, i am using plugging LAN 1 to ONT after enabling Dual WAN

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!