What's new

Working Link Aggregation Config RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quick update on my experience with LACP. I got my switch configured correctly, but I was still having issues with using my wifi devices connecting to devices that are connected to my LACP enabled switch. One moment it was working, a moment later it wasn't.

It kept my me wondering why this was and then I stumbled onto something in the "[How-To] Link Aggregation/LACP on RT-AC68U/W/R/P" thread and I tried it. The problem I was having was caused by NAT Acceleration in the LAN - Switch Control section. I switched it off and my problems were solved.

However, I wonder why this setting, when switched to automatic, is causing my wifi devices not to be able to connect to LAN devices that are connected to my LACP enabled switch. I have no problems with my wired devices when this setting is set to automatic.

Is it a bug and how does switching off NAT acceleration affect my LAN-WAN speed? I hope that someone can tell me.

Now that AC3200 LAG is working, has anyone figured out the trick to enabling it on the AC87 units?

Is the current understanding that the Quantenna in the AC87u complicates and breaks the LAG script while the AC3200, without Quantenna, functions as expected?

Rmerlin, can you offer any insight into how to get the AC87u LAG working on your firmware? Is it simply not possible?

Is the current understanding that the Quantenna in the AC87u complicates and breaks the LAG script while the AC3200, without Quantenna, functions as expected?

Rmerlin, can you offer any insight into how to get the AC87u LAG working on your firmware? Is it simply not possible?

Don't use port 1. Port 2 through 4 are on the Broadcom switch.

If it worked on the 87, it'd probably have to be on ports 2 & 3 because of the hardware difference. I wouldn't hold my breath though. And yes, turning off hardware acceleration is likely to affect LAN to WAN speed, but sometimes slow and working is better than fast and broken.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

To use Link Aggregation on RT-AC66U you'll need the following.
1.asuswrt-merlin installed
2.JFFS enabled
3.entware installed
-- entware package ifenslave installed
5.set up your services-start script as follows
Note - below example uses port 3 & 4 of switch using 802.3ad (LACP)
LACP will require either a switch or PC that can be configured for LACP
other bonding modes should be possible

KAD

6/19/2016 @ 4:43PM @Kado SUCCESS!! Link Aggregation working!! W00T!!

Here are some crucial steps to help connect the dots as I am a N00B-ooB, after installation of Entware:

In order to run LinkAgg script, I used WinSCP + PuTTy to help [WinSCP defaults to SFTP File Protocol be sure to change it to SCP] and then downloading the "LinkAgg" script to /jffs/scripts [**Make sure you use
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/* after putting the LinkAgg script into the folder using WinSCP and typing the below chmod line into your PuTTy command line .]

Code:
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/*

Using WinSCP, edit "services-start" in /jffs/scripts and at the end of the script include the line and see https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Link-Aggregation:
reboot
Code:
/jffs/scripts/LinkAgg 3 4

Funny noob moment: I read the "/Path/to/LinkAgg 3 4" as literally and not figuratively as in place your path to the friggin' script before LinkAgg......! :D

Now, setup your Teaming on your Dual NIC on your main PC and plug-in the cables and finally run "cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0" [bond zero] below and you should see similar results like below.
##
admin@RT-AC66R-0A60:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0
Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.1.3 (June 13, 2007)

Bonding Mode: IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation
Transmit Hash Policy: layer2 (0)
MII Status: up
MII Polling Interval (ms): 100
Up Delay (ms): 0
Down Delay (ms): 0

802.3ad info
LACP rate: fast
Active Aggregator Info:
Aggregator ID: 1
Number of ports: 2
Actor Key: 5
Partner Key: 17
Partner Mac Address: 08:62:66:80:d2:7c

Slave Interface: vlan3
Link Failure Count: 0
Permanent HW addr: cc:3a:61:19:04:7e

Slave Interface: vlan4
Link Failure Count: 0
Permanent HW addr: cc:3a:61:19:04:7e

@RMerlin - Again, setting up Entware was a breeze through all the updates you've inclusively provided.... heck it was fully automated.... BIG Thanks to KAD and RMerlin!

Thanks for the tips!

Attachments

• LinkAgg1.jpg
    LinkAgg1.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 1,097
Last edited:
Hi all,

I tried setting up Link Aggregation on my AC66u router and if I run LinkAgg -s the status says "Bond Status: bond0 UP".

However with that setup I am having problem connecting to my OpenMediaVault NAS which is also configured as 802.3ad btw.

My current setup is:

Modem <----> AC66u Router <----> OpenMediaVault

Checking out the Link Aggregation Wiki there is this advise that LAG requires either a Switch/PC/NAS which also supports Dynamic Link Aggregation(read supports LACP).

My question is, do I really need to have a Switch for this LAG to work? Meaning, is my setup supposed to be like this:

Modem <----> AC66u Router <----> Network Switch<----> OpenMediaVault

Thanks.

Quick update on my experience with LACP. I got my switch configured correctly, but I was still having issues with using my wifi devices connecting to devices that are connected to my LACP enabled switch. One moment it was working, a moment later it wasn't.

It kept my me wondering why this was and then I stumbled onto something in the "[How-To] Link Aggregation/LACP on RT-AC68U/W/R/P" thread and I tried it. The problem I was having was caused by NAT Acceleration in the LAN - Switch Control section. I switched it off and my problems were solved.

However, I wonder why this setting, when switched to automatic, is causing my wifi devices not to be able to connect to LAN devices that are connected to my LACP enabled switch. I have no problems with my wired devices when this setting is set to automatic.

Is it a bug and how does switching off NAT acceleration affect my LAN-WAN speed? I hope that someone can tell me.

Well I think I have solved my own problem. There is no need for this kind of setup:

I merely switched off NAT Acceleration and I got it running. Thanks guys. You guys are really awesome.

Well I think I have solved my own problem. There is no need for this kind of setup:

I merely switched off NAT Acceleration and I got it running. Thanks guys. You guys are really awesome.

Glad to hear you got it working! One thing as I read your comments is that you do not have a Gigabit Switch and opted to use port 3 +4 of your AC66U Router for OpenMediaVault only? The nice thing with the ASUS AC66U is you still have 2 ports for USB storage as well, but my setup is having 2Gbit links to both Switch + AC66U + NAS + PC..... and the Gigiabit Switch I bought new (TP-LINK 8 port) allows for up to 8 groups of mix/match on the ports. The reason for me to have the Switch is one day SAMBA will release and make available SMB multi-threaded bandwidth usage of the LACP/LAG setups people have giving us the ability to copy files to our NASes at 220MB+ speeds. That's pretty good seeing only Thunderbolt Ports are able to achieve those kinds of speeds.

All,
Sorry to beat a dead horse... like others, I'm trying to get LAGG/LACP running on my AC68U and running through the Manual Method listed in the LinkAgg Wiki page results in a bricked router until factory reset. I've researched it by running each command manually and reviewing output. Essentially, it looks like vlan3 and vlan4 are not being created:

edit...

after all the messing around.. I simply installed entware, the ifenslave package, and ran the script. Looking like it works - bond0 is up and I can access the management console of the managed switch that it is linked to.

KAD, if you ever stop by the forum any more, thank you for putting together such a nice package.

For all with an RT-AC68U, do NOT follow the instructions in the Link Aggregation Wiki entry for Method 2 for the AC68U. Instead, follow the original directions and use the LinkAgg script 1.5 or greater and make sure to turn NAT Acceleration off. Works for me.

Last edited:
Late to the bandwagon here too.

I originally tried aggregation using the stock ASUS firmware but it didn't work for me so I installed Merlin and tried the LinkAgg script (v1.5--original, not the AC3200 version of it.)

I have a RT-AC3100 and managed to get bonding to work (my OMV NAS has bonding enabled and working to my TrendNet 8port GigE managed switch.) Took me a while to figure out the ports (I read both linkagg threads) and had it working on port 1,2 with proper aggid# unfortunately it kills my WAN. One of the gotchas that got me and I saw it here in the thread is port#s; for me, physical port 1+2 is 2+3 for the LinkAgg script - until I figured that out, I kept getting mismatched aggId# - now to figure out why it kills my WAN. I'm going to try other ports (only 4 ports on this AC3100) as I saw @RMerlin say that port1 (for a differnet model) is not on the broadcom switch.

I'm assuming nobody has 3 cables (1 for WAN->LAN and 2 for LinkAgg) in their setup? Just two (which is how I imagine it.) I'll keep plugging away at it here.

Couldn't get it working even with the modified LinkAgg. I'll try entware/ifenslave next when I have more time. Really would like to get this working if possible.