What's new

Works with IFTTT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Glad to hear the above.

Then give us what we really want:

i3 or i5 based router with 32GB of storage, 4MB of ram, 8 antennae/8 streams and at least 8 1GbE ports or better yet, as many 10GbE ports as possible with an os that will give us the option to let us configure this hardware as we see fit.

For example;
the ability to lock out other devices even if plugged into any port.
the ability to enable VLANs natively from the os without any programming.
the option to buy optimally matched, higher gain, antennae for greater range in single story dwellings.
the ability to upgrade the ram or the storage as future needs dictate.

As you can see, IFTTT isn't in the above picture for a 'better user experience'. Neither is the IoT age 'hot' or enriching for a router that is meant to be the LOCK on our digital front door.

While we're dreaming, develop an os similar to QTS (QNAP) or DSM (Synology) that can be infinitely added to. Rather than marketing routers as 'gaming', etc. such as WTFast and other mostly gimmicky addons.

I buy Asus routers and recommend them to customers because of the hardware and the ability the software gives us to get the most from that hardware. Continue with that (first).

Seeing another gimmicky and marketing catchphrase isn't what I want to see on the box (ever).

So, I did my part with the feedback. When can I give you my money for the above product? :)

Hey! We may have a discuss for the advanced trigger / action in your wanted scenario?
What's the timing and application usage you would like to lock out devices and enable VLANs?

An i3 for a home router makes little sense. An i5 is flat out silly. Most home users want something that's passively cooled, and has a reasonable power usage. And that doesn't cost 600$.

If VPN performance is what you're after, a Cortex A53-based CPU would be a much more sensible choice.

Beyond that, you leave the market of home routers and enter that of an UTM appliance - totally different type of products.

An i3 for a home router makes little sense. An i5 is flat out silly. Most home users want something that's passively cooled, and has a reasonable power usage. And that doesn't cost 600$.

If VPN performance is what you're after, a Cortex A53-based CPU would be a much more sensible choice.

Beyond that, you leave the market of home routers and enter that of an UTM appliance - totally different type of products.

RMerlin, we'll agree that what you state is correct for most home users. I want something more. Especially at the $500 plus prices we're seeing anyways for the newest routers. ;)

See my response to JackRose below for the 'more'.

RMerlin, we'll agree that what you state is correct for most home users. I want something more. Especially at the $500 plus prices we're seeing anyways for the newest routers. ;)

See my response to JackRose below for the 'more'.

What you are asking for is for a whole different class of products, which would bump the price well beyond the 400$ currently being charged for the most expensive of Asus's routers - the RT-AC5300. A 700$ home router makes no sense, and would be a marketing flop.

Hey! We may have a discuss for the advanced trigger / action in your wanted scenario?
What's the timing and application usage you would like to lock out devices and enable VLANs?

There is no trigger or other action for my wanted scenario. Except the ability to set it through the gui in a logical manner and have it consistently and reliably keep and honor the settings I choose.

Let's start at the beginning, shall we? RMerlin may be correct that an i3 and i5 would be 'silly' for most users. But that is today. I want something for tomorrow and beyond.

Some facts (in no particular order);
  • Already in this forum, there are some users enjoying 10GbE WAN connections (wow).
  • Current dual and tri radio routers (with 4 antennae or more) cannot possibly achieve maximum ISP speeds with more than 2 or 3 clients simultaneously (the limiting factor is the 1GbE WAN port and low powered processors that are deemed 'good enough' today).
  • VPN's are not a luxury today. This 'feature' now falls into the 'needed' category and will only become more important in the future for all/most users.
  • NAS connections limited to 1GbE speeds (because of the router) is insulting on a $500 device, even if it is just classed as 'consumer'.
  • 4 LAN ports and even 8 LAN ports are barely enough for most homes today. Particularly when those limited ports are used in LAG configurations to the most needed devices (NAS').
  • Our current routers are not UTM's. True. By why not? Those features are needed just as much for consumers as for businesses.
  • Needlessly limited storage capacity not just for the firmware, but for the user too.
    • Yes, magic can be created with the highly restricted capacities, but the cost to make these 10x bigger or more is just a dollar or two more.

What I think we need (very soon) is the following hardware and os changes;

(I propose we call this mythical beast the Asus RT-AC-Extreme for now, for 'extremely usable'). :)
  • At least 4 10GbE ports that can be configured as WAN/LAN as needed.
    • Dual, Triple and Quad WAN configurations should be possible (programmable).
    • Yes, charge what you want here. :)
    • Ability to use the 10GbE ports and/or the 1GbE ports interchangeably as required.
  • At least 8 1GbE ports that are also configurable as needed
    • All LAN ports should have gui programmable VLAN's
    • Ability to put a wired LAN port(s) on the guest network.
      • Internet only, or, internet and access to printer/scanner/read only media (NAS).
    • Ability to lock themselves from unauthorized devices getting wired access to the network.
    • LAG support.
  • Processor power to be able to route at least 2 WAN ports at 4Gbps speeds up/down.
    • The more processor power we have, the more useful the router can be for longer.
  • 8 antennae/8 stream or higher with MU-MIMO enabled and working at launch.
  • Upgradable ram. 8GB is not too much and 16GB is not enough (depending).
  • Upgradeable storage (ssd in mSATA, M.2 or if room permits, 2.5" formats).
  • Support for VM's (an easy way to add UTM type functionality).
  • New os that can be easily added to like QTS and DSM (QNAP/Synology).
    • Yes, something like the Synology RT1900ac Router, (but with working WiFi).
  • Everything else I'm forgetting to add here. :)

With the above hardware and suitably powerful and stable os;
  • A LAN (10GbE or 1GbE, as deemed appropriate by the user) port that can be configured for 'AP' usage and will transfer needed information to a second RT-AC-Extreme complete with main and guest networks (isolated or not as defined in the main router). Add AP's as needed.
  • Ability to change as many settings and parameters as possible without needing a reboot of the router (and network!) each time. Or, at the very least? The ability to change multiple parameters and need only a single reboot. To be able to schedule that reboot would also be trivial and appreciated.
  • With a tri or quad radio router, the ability to use all frequencies on all radios.
    • This gives us the option to use one radio for backhaul duties if/as required.
    • Will allow the remaining radios to be used for clients (without the penalty of repeater mode).
  • A root/admin password and separate user passwords with configurable limitations of what may be viewed or changed by them.
  • Ability to easily create VLAN's and rules for printers/scanners, NAS' public/private, Internet access, intranet access etc.
  • Ability to add functionality via VM's (or not) like UTM features.

I think you get the idea?

This may seem far fetched right now. But non-router based manufacturers are already trying this (Synology).

I would prefer that this future hardware be 'perfected' by an established router manufacturer like Asus though.

There can be a few different levels of the above 'Asus RT-AC-Extreme', of course. Whoever gets this right will prove to be a company that sees the future and can bring their customers there too.

What would I (or my customers)pay for an 'Asus RT-AC-Extreme' with 16GB RAM, an i5 or i7 Skylake platform and 256GB of ssd storage with the above capabilities? $2,000 today.

Triggers and actions? Leave that for the kids' routers.

To address the issue that RMerlin brings up about power usage for i3/i5's; they don't need much more when they're running idle than most routers already do.

Of course, that changes when they're called to do something intense, but we never get something for nothing. ;)

I think it is a good tradeoff. Basically equivalent low power when doing 'easy' router work. And using more power as it is needed.

Give me the tools that are easy to work with, reliable and are not obsolete in a few short months. And I'll keep coming back for more. :)

Last edited:
What you are asking for is for a whole different class of products, which would bump the price well beyond the 400$ currently being charged for the most expensive of Asus's routers - the RT-AC5300. A 700$ home router makes no sense, and would be a marketing flop.

I'm not averse to paying more if I get more. A marketing flop depends on the marketing done.

Nobody thought a $1000 'smart phone' would sell just a few short years ago either.

I'm not averse to paying more if I get more. A marketing flop depends on the marketing done.

The download counts of my firmwares show that the RT-AC3200 and RT-AC5300 aren't very popular. Those two are actually the most expensive models of their respective generations. Bump their price by another 200$, and you get yourself a commercial flop.

Nobody thought a $1000 'smart phone' would sell just a few short years ago either.

Do you personally know anyone who paid 1000$ for their phone? I don't. The vast majority get it subsidized through their provider at a fraction of that price.

Personally, I think home routers need to go in a different direction:

1) Drop in price. A flagship home router should cap at 200-300$, anything above is enterprise-class, and should have totally different priorities
2) Drop all the USB storage capabilities. Having files stored on your frontline firewall is a security disaster in waiting. It's like keeping the jewelry box right beside your closed window. First thing to go once someone breaks in - those jewelries.
3) A more modular operating system design. The current monolithic design of Asuswrt (and of most other home router firmware) has become unmanageable, as evidenced by the increasing amount of bugs and security holes being discovered each year. Routers should switch to a more server-like software design, with better service isolation.

If I were to design a router firmware from scratch today, there would be zero support for file sharing. No Samba, no FTP, nada. The USB port might still be there and working, but strictly for storing applications that a user might be installing on their router (for instance if they decided to install Snort or MRTG). If you need to move files to/from it, use SCP.

But this is all far away from the original topic of this thread however. Personally, I have little interest in IFTTT. Too many random variables introduced into what is already a difficult to manage setup (having to deal with compatibility issues between wifi device manufacturers, external interference sources, etc...). If on top of that we get event-based triggers, that increases the complexity of troubleshooting by quite a bit.

Personally, a "smart home" architecture should look like this:

1) The modem/ONT, from your ISP
2) A router, doing only routing, filtering, firewalling, traffic monitoring, VPN, and directly related activities
3) A "Smart Hub", which handles your Nest thermostats, Sonos, Z-wave devices, and other IoT devices
4) A NAS, which handles file storage, including cloud sharing
5) Client devices: phone, PCs, HTPCs, IoT devices, etc...

All these five things should be physical separate boxes. Maybe combine modem and router together (not a fan of those combo devices, but a quality one would be acceptable for basic functionality), but that's it. A lot of the workload people are shoveling on the router these days should be off loaded to either the "Smart Hub" or the NAS.

The only reason I keep SMB enabled on my router is for test purposes. The only files there are test files for when I need to test and troubleshoot SMB or DLNA. All my files used to be shared by my desktop, and they are now shared by a NAS.

The IFTTT part should be only on the Smart Hub device.

RMerlin, I don't disagree with what your position is, but I'm coming from another angle.

Whether anyone thinks they paid $1000 or not for a top end phone doesn't matter. They actually did (subsidized doesn't mean free).

Download stats don't mean too much. And if they're accurate, it just goes to show that Asus is giving very little hardware for the money, in my view.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX60368

The RT-AC5300 is $500 here. Nothing compels me to buy or recommend it except for possible specific environments where the more modern design might give superior performance under high network loads (wired or wireless).

I agree with your points 1 thru 3, except for the part about the 'flagship' router aspect. A flagship router doesn't limit a user in any way shape or form. Everything consumer available today does that to varying degrees with Asus being the best of the worst in this aspect.

I haven't seen any 'smart homes' that I didn't have issues with in one way or another. Proprietary, quirky and very, very expensive to buy and keep running. I don't doubt that your proposed architecture for a smart home is correct. However, what I don't buy is the need for such a home in the first place. ;)

My post #25 (above with the 'Asus RT-AC-Extreme' flagship I envision) is something I could sell to hundreds, if not thousands of people today. Including a couple for myself too. :)

The absolute cost is never an issue for my self and my customers. Particularly if I can state to them (accurately) about how long it 'should' last. A few I recommended the RT-AC66U to when it first became available around here have been less than satisfied (the devices basically stopped working, had unacceptable performance because their ISP and devices changed over a short period of time or were limited right from the beginning (VPN usage) but were still used because of their superior range vs. the old N class routers they had before). Those customers cost of ownership was more than double (most moving to the RT-AC68U) well within the timeframe that the router should have been expected to work for them.

If I can have a properly designed router like your point #2 taken to the nth degree, Asus or whoever builds that device, gets my money.

If I could schedule a router replacement for a customer in 2026 or later, today, the cost of today's device can be almost anything Asus or any other competent router manufacturer can reasonably ask for. :)

And as i said in my post #25 above, there can be many flavors of such a true 'flagship' router. Even one for a budget conscious consumer too. ;)

The RT-AC5300 is $500 here. Nothing compels me to buy or recommend it except for possible specific environments where the more modern design might give superior performance under high network loads (wired or wireless).

And at 500$ it's already an overpriced product. Push that to 800$, and you get the price of a full-featured laptop. For *HOME* usage, it makes absolutely zero sense. Just because YOU would be willing to spend 800$ on an Asus router does not mean there are enough people out there also willing to, and generate enough sales to recover development + manufacturing (low volume SKUs = higher production cost) + distribution + storage + long term support.

Personally, I wouldn't spend more than 200$ CAD on a home router (which is about 150$ USD).

If I can have a properly designed router like your point #2 taken to the nth degree, Asus or whoever builds that device, gets my money.

Look for a prosumer manufacturer then. Asus targets home and enthusiasts.

Look for a prosumer manufacturer then. Asus targets home and enthusiasts.

Alas, the prosumer market is worse than what Asus is offering currently.

And at 500$ it's already an overpriced product. Push that to 800$, and you get the price of a full-featured laptop. For *HOME* usage, it makes absolutely zero sense. Just because YOU would be willing to spend 800$ on an Asus router does not mean there are enough people out there also willing to, and generate enough sales to recover development + manufacturing (low volume SKUs = higher production cost) + distribution + storage + long term support.

Personally, I wouldn't spend more than 200$ CAD on a home router (which is about 150$ USD).

A $5000 NAS setup is an easy sell to some customers because they see the value as I explain it to them for their needs.

The $500 RT-AC5300 is overpriced because it doesn't offer substantially more than router's at much less than half the price.

Everything is relative. It is easy to show (and sell) people a $2000 product if it actually meets their needs for a (relatively) long time while giving superior performance. Harder to say save 4x the cost but get 30% more than a router worth a quarter of the price. ;)

There is no trigger or other action for my wanted scenario. Except the ability to set it through the gui in a logical manner and have it consistently and reliably keep and honor the settings I choose.

Let's start at the beginning, shall we? RMerlin may be correct that an i3 and i5 would be 'silly' for most users. But that is today. I want something for tomorrow and beyond.

Some facts (in no particular order);
  • Already in this forum, there are some users enjoying 10GbE WAN connections (wow).
  • Current dual and tri radio routers (with 4 antennae or more) cannot possibly achieve maximum ISP speeds with more than 2 or 3 clients simultaneously (the limiting factor is the 1GbE WAN port and low powered processors that are deemed 'good enough' today).
  • VPN's are not a luxury today. This 'feature' now falls into the 'needed' category and will only become more important in the future for all/most users.
  • NAS connections limited to 1GbE speeds (because of the router) is insulting on a $500 device, even if it is just classed as 'consumer'.
  • 4 LAN ports and even 8 LAN ports are barely enough for most homes today. Particularly when those limited ports are used in LAG configurations to the most needed devices (NAS').
  • Our current routers are not UTM's. True. By why not? Those features are needed just as much for consumers as for businesses.
  • Needlessly limited storage capacity not just for the firmware, but for the user too.
    • Yes, magic can be created with the highly restricted capacities, but the cost to make these 10x bigger or more is just a dollar or two more.

What I think we need (very soon) is the following hardware and os changes;

(I propose we call this mythical beast the Asus RT-AC-Extreme for now, for 'extremely usable'). :)
  • At least 4 10GbE ports that can be configured as WAN/LAN as needed.
    • Dual, Triple and Quad WAN configurations should be possible (programmable).
    • Yes, charge what you want here. :)
    • Ability to use the 10GbE ports and/or the 1GbE ports interchangeably as required.
  • At least 8 1GbE ports that are also configurable as needed
    • All LAN ports should have gui programmable VLAN's
    • Ability to put a wired LAN port(s) on the guest network.
      • Internet only, or, internet and access to printer/scanner/read only media (NAS).
    • Ability to lock themselves from unauthorized devices getting wired access to the network.
    • LAG support.
  • Processor power to be able to route at least 2 WAN ports at 4Gbps speeds up/down.
    • The more processor power we have, the more useful the router can be for longer.
  • 8 antennae/8 stream or higher with MU-MIMO enabled and working at launch.
  • Upgradable ram. 8GB is not too much and 16GB is not enough (depending).
  • Upgradeable storage (ssd in mSATA, M.2 or if room permits, 2.5" formats).
  • Support for VM's (an easy way to add UTM type functionality).
  • New os that can be easily added to like QTS and DSM (QNAP/Synology).
    • Yes, something like the Synology RT1900ac Router, (but with working WiFi).
  • Everything else I'm forgetting to add here. :)

With the above hardware and suitably powerful and stable os;
  • A LAN (10GbE or 1GbE, as deemed appropriate by the user) port that can be configured for 'AP' usage and will transfer needed information to a second RT-AC-Extreme complete with main and guest networks (isolated or not as defined in the main router). Add AP's as needed.
  • Ability to change as many settings and parameters as possible without needing a reboot of the router (and network!) each time. Or, at the very least? The ability to change multiple parameters and need only a single reboot. To be able to schedule that reboot would also be trivial and appreciated.
  • With a tri or quad radio router, the ability to use all frequencies on all radios.
    • This gives us the option to use one radio for backhaul duties if/as required.
    • Will allow the remaining radios to be used for clients (without the penalty of repeater mode).
  • A root/admin password and separate user passwords with configurable limitations of what may be viewed or changed by them.
  • Ability to easily create VLAN's and rules for printers/scanners, NAS' public/private, Internet access, intranet access etc.
  • Ability to add functionality via VM's (or not) like UTM features.

I think you get the idea?

This may seem far fetched right now. But non-router based manufacturers are already trying this (Synology).

I would prefer that this future hardware be 'perfected' by an established router manufacturer like Asus though.

There can be a few different levels of the above 'Asus RT-AC-Extreme', of course. Whoever gets this right will prove to be a company that sees the future and can bring their customers there too.

What would I (or my customers)pay for an 'Asus RT-AC-Extreme' with 16GB RAM, an i5 or i7 Skylake platform and 256GB of ssd storage with the above capabilities? $2,000 today.

Triggers and actions? Leave that for the kids' routers.

To address the issue that RMerlin brings up about power usage for i3/i5's; they don't need much more when they're running idle than most routers already do.

Of course, that changes when they're called to do something intense, but we never get something for nothing. ;)

I think it is a good tradeoff. Basically equivalent low power when doing 'easy' router work. And using more power as it is needed.

Give me the tools that are easy to work with, reliable and are not obsolete in a few short months. And I'll keep coming back for more. :)

We should separate the product segments for discussion, all your requirement is toward to commercial, enterprise professional needed but consumer for home usage.
It seems like an advanced networking switching plus a high-end professional WiFi router, for dedicated tasks purpose and require professional deployment.

But there is one critical part you mentioned is super right and also apply to normal home user - up to 10GbE speed WAN.
I believe the chip vendor is working for that and also 8x8 WiFi stream antennas and its placement are critical both for exterior and performance.

I am not sure your dream "Asus RT-AC-Extreme Router" will coming or not but I am sure ASUS would keeping rolling out the most extreme networking WiFi router beyond the market; for consumer, for commercial; for home, for enterprise.
The triggers and actions are the differentiation features that ASUS would like to offer for every users to get benefits with, and hope it should as easy as kid could operating.

The download counts of my firmwares show that the RT-AC3200 and RT-AC5300 aren't very popular. Those two are actually the most expensive models of their respective generations. Bump their price by another 200$, and you get yourself a commercial flop.

Do you personally know anyone who paid 1000$ for their phone? I don't. The vast majority get it subsidized through their provider at a fraction of that price.

Personally, I think home routers need to go in a different direction:

1) Drop in price. A flagship home router should cap at 200-300$, anything above is enterprise-class, and should have totally different priorities
2) Drop all the USB storage capabilities. Having files stored on your frontline firewall is a security disaster in waiting. It's like keeping the jewelry box right beside your closed window. First thing to go once someone breaks in - those jewelries.
3) A more modular operating system design. The current monolithic design of Asuswrt (and of most other home router firmware) has become unmanageable, as evidenced by the increasing amount of bugs and security holes being discovered each year. Routers should switch to a more server-like software design, with better service isolation.

If I were to design a router firmware from scratch today, there would be zero support for file sharing. No Samba, no FTP, nada. The USB port might still be there and working, but strictly for storing applications that a user might be installing on their router (for instance if they decided to install Snort or MRTG). If you need to move files to/from it, use SCP.

But this is all far away from the original topic of this thread however. Personally, I have little interest in IFTTT. Too many random variables introduced into what is already a difficult to manage setup (having to deal with compatibility issues between wifi device manufacturers, external interference sources, etc...). If on top of that we get event-based triggers, that increases the complexity of troubleshooting by quite a bit.

Personally, a "smart home" architecture should look like this:

1) The modem/ONT, from your ISP
2) A router, doing only routing, filtering, firewalling, traffic monitoring, VPN, and directly related activities
3) A "Smart Hub", which handles your Nest thermostats, Sonos, Z-wave devices, and other IoT devices
4) A NAS, which handles file storage, including cloud sharing
5) Client devices: phone, PCs, HTPCs, IoT devices, etc...

All these five things should be physical separate boxes. Maybe combine modem and router together (not a fan of those combo devices, but a quality one would be acceptable for basic functionality), but that's it. A lot of the workload people are shoveling on the router these days should be off loaded to either the "Smart Hub" or the NAS.

The only reason I keep SMB enabled on my router is for test purposes. The only files there are test files for when I need to test and troubleshoot SMB or DLNA. All my files used to be shared by my desktop, and they are now shared by a NAS.

The IFTTT part should be only on the Smart Hub device.

The modem, router, smart hub and NAS, it could be combined all together and also could totally separate, it's all based on different business model and strategy.
The IFTTT features in Smart hub is intuitive but if there any networking and WiFi features Cooperation within your daily life your desire?
turn on off wifi for power saving
open guests networking to wow your friend
blocked aware attack for security

The modem, router, smart hub and NAS, it could be combined all together and also could totally separate, it's all based on different business model and strategy.
The IFTTT features in Smart hub is intuitive but if there any networking and WiFi features Cooperation within your daily life your desire?
turn on off wifi for power saving
open guests networking to wow your friend
blocked aware attack for security

I've never been a big fan of all-in-one devices, for various reasons:

1) Security. If one is compromised (for example, the firewall portion), then everything is compromised (the file storage part)
2) If one of these fails, then you have to replace them all, which is more disruptive, and more expensive
3) The old expression "jack of all trades, master of none". A modem/router combo is rarely offering the same quality as a separate router and a separate modem. That might be good enough for an entry level user, but more advanced users will find it too limiting.

As for how to have a Smart Hub control the router's wifi, you could have a secure protocol allowing devices to communicate together, not unlike what Amiga had in the 80s with ARexx (which was based on IBM's own Rexx), or what Powershell currently does with its process-specific cmdlets.

A similar inter-process communication could be applied inter-devices, but with a more secure communication method (i.e. using SSL and authentication). Having it scriptable allows for it to be very easy to extend, and provide a high compatibility. For example, a script on your Smart Hub that gets a trigger event (Time > 22:00):

Code:
Use Router Auth   /* Auth is configured as an RSA keypair through the hub's config */
Connect Router
Set Wifi-2G off
Set Wifi-5G off
Apply
Connect Local
Log "Wifi turned off on router"
Exit

Wifi-2G and Wifi-5G would be well-known attributes understood by the router.

The key there would be to ensure that a secure protocol is established between devices. Keypair or shared secret based authentication.

I've never been a big fan of all-in-one devices, for various reasons:

1) Security. If one is compromised (for example, the firewall portion), then everything is compromised (the file storage part)
2) If one of these fails, then you have to replace them all, which is more disruptive, and more expensive
3) The old expression "jack of all trades, master of none". A modem/router combo is rarely offering the same quality as a separate router and a separate modem. That might be good enough for an entry level user, but more advanced users will find it too limiting.

As for how to have a Smart Hub control the router's wifi, you could have a secure protocol allowing devices to communicate together, not unlike what Amiga had in the 80s with ARexx (which was based on IBM's own Rexx), or what Powershell currently does with its process-specific cmdlets.

A similar inter-process communication could be applied inter-devices, but with a more secure communication method (i.e. using SSL and authentication). Having it scriptable allows for it to be very easy to extend, and provide a high compatibility. For example, a script on your Smart Hub that gets a trigger event (Time > 22:00):

Code:
Use Router Auth   /* Auth is configured as an RSA keypair through the hub's config */
Connect Router
Set Wifi-2G off
Set Wifi-5G off
Apply
Connect Local
Log "Wifi turned off on router"
Exit

Wifi-2G and Wifi-5G would be well-known attributes understood by the router.

The key there would be to ensure that a secure protocol is established between devices. Keypair or shared secret based authentication.

I finally figured it out that the most important feature for power user is the router security and performance, nothing else.
With the powerful HW and reliable FW, you guys could do anything you want base on it.

The fancy feature is not attractive, the reliable platform is truly attractive.
But at least, you show me the wanted action for WiFi on/off.

I finally figured it out that the most important feature for power user is the router security and performance, nothing else.
With the powerful HW and reliable FW, you guys could do anything you want base on it.

summarised it all very well here.