What's new

spdMerlin Wrong speeds on spdMerlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Amwjujo

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I have a 500/80 fiber connection and since I did the upgrade to 386.3.2 the readings from spdMerlin and the Internet Speed tab are throttled at 350/70.
The strange part is that if I am running the test with a wired device on speedtest.net or fast.com it does shows me my actual speeds.
I did a factory reset of the router and wiped the jffs and until installing - Diversion + Skynet + Unbound + ntpMerlin - the speeds shown by the router under internet speed tab were 500/80, but after installing the scripts the speeds readings are different.
Any thoughts?

Hi,
I have a 500/80 fiber connection and since I did the upgrade to 386.3.2 the readings from spdMerlin and the Internet Speed tab are throttled at 350/70.
The strange part is that if I am running the test with a wired device on speedtest.net or fast.com it does shows me my actual speeds.
I did a factory reset of the router and wiped the jffs and until installing - Diversion + Skynet + Unbound + ntpMerlin - the speeds shown by the router under internet speed tab were 500/80, but after installing the scripts the speeds readings are different.
Any thoughts?
The more you add to the router, the more CPU stuff it has to do. Try removing skynet/disabling firewall logging as a quick test

Re router vs client speeds, clients can take advantage of hardware acceleration plus typically have more resources available to run the test. Tests on the router itself cannot use hardware acceleration. You don't mention which router you use but there have been AX88 and AX86 users hit near gigabit on router based speedtests

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I think I might have to much things going on this router- AC86U -
On top of what I do stated on the 1st post I run a openvpn server the vnstats script and uidiversion ... I'll start turning them off one by one this afternoon and I'll post the findings here ... I might need a new router .

Another thing I have noticed.
I turned the unbound off for a minute and run a speedtest on the router and my latency went up but the speed went up to 500mb.
Could this be DNS related?

if I am running the test with a wired device on speedtest.net or fast.com it does shows me my actual speeds.

What's the issue? You get the speeds you pay for already. Ignore the router's speed test, it's not accurate.

That's true... but one of the scripts that I am using is causing trouble on how the speed is being measured and the speed test is not accurate anymore ... I haven't turned on any qos on but I'm just curious if is going to have an impact on that as well.
And it's annoying not seeing your true speed on spdMerlin graphs

A quick update.
This morning I refreshed my network with a new install and I wanted to see where this issue with the wrong speed is coming from ... so after each script I installed I ran a speed test and compare the results ....
It seems the problem is with Skynet ... after I installed the script my speedtests - both spdMerlin and the same one under QoS - dropped from 500mb to 300mb. After I uninstalled Skynet the speeds were showed at their real value.
Anyone else have this issue?

spdMerlin is using router CPU to make a test. In my case the same those values are much lower compering to test made via PC.
I think there is an issue with the way the script handles the speedtest, it should not cause cpu spike like that, the cpu has been created to handle 1gbit/sec, so it must be something in the "speedtest cli" binary causing high cpu, maybe not 64bit? mayberelying on the local disk with low IOPS to much ?

I have an gt-ax11000 gaming router allowing 2.5gbit wan speeds, those gaming routers are really made for high interneed speeds, they come with high speed and multicore cpu's

When I do a speedcheck to a fixed IP adress, my 10 year old pc gives me +-750mbit, while my new asus router gives me +-400mbit to the same (voo brussels) server
When I check the cpu usage during such a test it is not working hard at all, so the cpu certainly is not the bottleneck.

I wonder if it has nothing to do with the way it handles the downstream data, because the storage could be the limiting factor , not the cpu, in whih case it can be solved by running it from memory.
There is probably something in the code relying on the flash disk during the test.

Skynet has about the same problem, it seems to be limited to the IOPS speed of your disk drive, I think spdmerlin and skynet should try to do more operations from within the memory to achieve better performance, maybe the swap file ? maybe too much logging? something else?

Has anyone else tried one of the alternatives on merlin?

Last edited:
I think there is an issue with the way the script handles the speedtest, it should not cause cpu spike like that, the cpu has been created to handle 1gbit/sec, so it must be something in the "speedtest cli" binary causing high cpu, maybe not 64bit?

I have an gt-ax11000 gaming router allowing 2.5gbit wan speeds, those gaming routers are really made for high interneed speeds, they come with high speed and multicore cpu's

When I do a speedcheck to a fixed IP adress, my 10 year old pc gives me +-750mbit, while my new asus router gives me +-400mbit to the same (voo brussels) server
When I check the cpu usage during such a test it is not working hard at all, so the cpu certainly is not the bottleneck.

I wonder if it has nothing to do with the way it handles the downstream data, because the storage could be the limiting factor , not the cpu, in whih case it can be solved by running it from memory.
There is probably something in the code relying on the flash disk during the test.

Skynet has about the same problem, it seems to be limited to the IOPS speed of your disk drive, I think spdmerlin and skynet should try to do more operations from within the memory to achieve better performance, maybe the swap file ? maybe too much logging? something else?

Has anyone else tried one of the alternatives on merlin?
clients can leverage hardware acceleration in the router so the CPU actually doesn't process all of the traffic, thus allowing gigabit speeds to clients. enable something like Traditional QoS - which disables hardware acceleration - and then try another test from the client

as for spdmerlin, in the latest version it leverages the exact same binary executable as Asus' own built in speedtest, or on models without this feature, the publicly available ookla binary. those blobs are closed source so please feel free to contact Ookla with your concerns about how they've written the executable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!