spdMerlin Wrong speeds on spdMerlin

• ATTENTION! You'll notice a Prefix dropdown when you create a thread. If your post applies to one of the topics listed, please use that Prefix for your post. When browsing the thread list you can use the Prefix to filter the view.
  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Amwjujo

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I have a 500/80 fiber connection and since I did the upgrade to 386.3.2 the readings from spdMerlin and the Internet Speed tab are throttled at 350/70.
The strange part is that if I am running the test with a wired device on speedtest.net or fast.com it does shows me my actual speeds.
I did a factory reset of the router and wiped the jffs and until installing - Diversion + Skynet + Unbound + ntpMerlin - the speeds shown by the router under internet speed tab were 500/80, but after installing the scripts the speeds readings are different.
Any thoughts?

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
Hi,
I have a 500/80 fiber connection and since I did the upgrade to 386.3.2 the readings from spdMerlin and the Internet Speed tab are throttled at 350/70.
The strange part is that if I am running the test with a wired device on speedtest.net or fast.com it does shows me my actual speeds.
I did a factory reset of the router and wiped the jffs and until installing - Diversion + Skynet + Unbound + ntpMerlin - the speeds shown by the router under internet speed tab were 500/80, but after installing the scripts the speeds readings are different.
Any thoughts?
The more you add to the router, the more CPU stuff it has to do. Try removing skynet/disabling firewall logging as a quick test

Re router vs client speeds, clients can take advantage of hardware acceleration plus typically have more resources available to run the test. Tests on the router itself cannot use hardware acceleration. You don't mention which router you use but there have been AX88 and AX86 users hit near gigabit on router based speedtests

Amwjujo

Regular Contributor
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I think I might have to much things going on this router- AC86U -
On top of what I do stated on the 1st post I run a openvpn server the vnstats script and uidiversion ... I'll start turning them off one by one this afternoon and I'll post the findings here ... I might need a new router .

Amwjujo

Regular Contributor
Another thing I have noticed.
I turned the unbound off for a minute and run a speedtest on the router and my latency went up but the speed went up to 500mb.
Could this be DNS related?

Tech9

Very Senior Member
if I am running the test with a wired device on speedtest.net or fast.com it does shows me my actual speeds.

What's the issue? You get the speeds you pay for already. Ignore the router's speed test, it's not accurate.

Amwjujo

Regular Contributor
That's true... but one of the scripts that I am using is causing trouble on how the speed is being measured and the speed test is not accurate anymore ... I haven't turned on any qos on but I'm just curious if is going to have an impact on that as well.
And it's annoying not seeing your true speed on spdMerlin graphs

Amwjujo

Regular Contributor
A quick update.
This morning I refreshed my network with a new install and I wanted to see where this issue with the wrong speed is coming from ... so after each script I installed I ran a speed test and compare the results ....
It seems the problem is with Skynet ... after I installed the script my speedtests - both spdMerlin and the same one under QoS - dropped from 500mb to 300mb. After I uninstalled Skynet the speeds were showed at their real value.
Anyone else have this issue?