What's new

WRT600n and getting some speed??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

schlotkins

New Around Here
Good evening-

I am setting up my first n network and I think I'm doing something wrong. I have the following components:

linksys WRT600n
netgear WNHDE111
intel 4965AGN Link
The 802.11g intel laptop card (39xx?)

Here's my configuration:

5ghz network is setup to 40mhz wide with WPA2-Personal AES Security. Network mode is N only. Eveything excep the last laptop runs off the this network.

2.4ghz network is setup on the 20mhz chanels, G only, WPA2-Personal AES Security.

I have a desktop hooked up to the netgear access point. For testing I put my laptop (the N laptop on the 5ghz network) about 3 feet away from the netgear bridge (also on the 5 ghz network) to make sure I was getting similar signal. I don't know how to check the signal strength on the bridge.

My problem is this: Even when my latop is reporting an excellent signal and 162 (or something close to that) Mbps, I am only getting about 12 Mbps actual thoroughput when transfering a file from the desktop on the bridge to my N laptop, which is amazingly low. The two devices are only about 15 feet from the router and should have similar signal. I actually hooked both up to the bridge just to make sure the wired network speed was OK and it was - close to 90 Mbps. I believe the WPA2-AES is only supposed to cost about 10% of bandwidth so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Any ideas on why the network is so slow? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

A diagram would help, but I'll dive in. If I understand you correctly, you are getting only 12Mbps (measured how?) with this path:

Desktop <ETH> WNHDE111 <5GHz, 40MHz B/W> WRT600N <5GHz, 40MHz B/W>
Notebook w/ Intel 4965AGN Link

You should not see any significant throughput reduction using WPA2/ AES, but you will see fallback to 11g speeds (~20 Mbps best case) using WEP or WPA/TKIP.

I have seen low throughput with some draft 11n gear if they are too close together. Make sure that both the notebook and desktop/WNHDE111 are at least 10 feet from the WRT600N.

What is the throughput with no wireless security enabled?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!