What's new

XD4 has no bridge mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Muis

Occasional Visitor
I bought the XD4 because it seemed perfect to use as a media bridge. But it turned out that this mode is missing from the firmware. All the other modes (router/ap/repeater) are available, except for the bridge mode.

So it seems like its running a special version of AsusWrt where some parts are stripped?

The alternative would be to buy the XT8, as it supports this feature. But that one is larger and more expensive because it has two 5Ghz radios, and that's completely unnecessary for a media bridge.

Does anyone know why the XD4 is missing this feature? Because it seems like the perfect device for it. Even my ancient RT-AC66U could do it, so I never expected the more expensive XD4 to be so crippled.

Is there a possibility that this functionality could be added by running Merlin (GNUTon's fork) in the future? Or is that impossible because bridging is in the closed-source part of the code?

Why? Marketing.

If those forks don't currently support that model, there is little chance they will 'soon'.

Why? Marketing.

If it's just marketing I would expect to be able to tell from the ASUS website which models support the bridging feature, so I would know which one to buy. But they don't even list this in the specifications.

If those forks don't currently support that model, there is little chance they will 'soon'.

I'm afraid you are right. I really regret buying this model now, so hopefully this topic can serve as a warning to others that want to buy it for the same purpose.

You're mistaking marketing for providing clear information to consumers. The marketing is for the manufacturer's benefit (i.e. their bottom line), not for the consumer.