What's new

XT8 and 2.5gbe setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vickivik83

New Around Here
Hi, I was hoping someone could help me with a question. I currently have 2 XT8 routers and 2 XD4 in a mesh configuration with one of the XT8 as the main router. The second XT8 is connected via a ethernet backhaul, 1 XD4 is connected via ethernet backhaul and the last XD4 via 5ghz. My ISP provides internet speed of 1gb. I also have a QNap 453be and I installed a 2.5gbe pcie on it. I have ordered a 2.5gbe 8 port switch which should arrive in a week.
My goal is to speed up my connection between my pcs and QNap and utilize the 2.5gbe speeds. Also, my mobile phone is wifi6 capable and I understand I can also transfer files faster to my Qnap. My goal is really to improve the speed of connections to my NAS.

I noticed the XT8 only has one WAN 2.5gbe port and no 2.5gbe LAN port. For my stated purpose above, please do I need to buy an XT12 or is my setup enough. I do apologise as I am a noob to networking, but will Google as much as I can. I just need help to point me in the right direction to achieve faster speed to my NAS.

Clearly there shouldn't be problems to get to your NAS at full 2.5 Gbps speed from the directly connected wired PCs through the new switch.
Conversely, your XD4s haven't 2.5 LAN ports (both for backhaul and client PCs), so there shouldn't be any advantage of buying an XT12 and use its 2.5 LAN port for backhaul, considering also that your current Internet speed is only 1 Gbps.

Clearly there shouldn't be problems to get to your NAS at full 2.5 Gbps speed from the directly connected wired PCs through the new switch.
Conversely, your XD4s haven't 2.5 LAN ports (both for backhaul and client PCs), so there shouldn't be any advantage of buying an XT12 and use its 2.5 LAN port for backhaul, considering also that your current Internet speed is only 1 Gbps.
Thank you very much for the response, this really helps. My PCs are not connected via ethernet, but rather wifi, but by the logic you confirmed, it means that it still should be faster. I just could not understand if i needed a 2.5gbe LAN port on the router to connect to the new 2.5gbe. What would be the advantage to have that? Also, sorry for bugging, would me transferring large files from my phone be faster under the new 2.5gbe switch setup?

I don't think you have so large files on your phone that a few seconds more for the transfer to NAS at 1 Gbps compared to 2.5 Gbps is worth all the update.
Consider also that the wifi transfer speed (phone from/to router), even using wifi 6 AX at 160 MHz bandwith, can't reach 2.5 Gbps effective, in most case is similar to 1 Gbps (if not less)...;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!