What's new

XT8 Drop outs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dwood85

New Around Here
Hi. I'm a total novice at this so please bare with me.

I've got an asus xt8 with one node, using Fritz 7280 modem.

It all works fine, with the firmware at up to date. However, the connection drops out so much its really frustrating.

Is there anything I should be doing with settings to get the optimum performance? The house is 1930s, so quite thick walls, but even with that I'm surprised with the performance.

Thanks in advance

I'm having the same problems with 2 ET8s as nodes. No fix at the moment. Waiting for Asus or the 3rd party project to release a firmware to see if it helps...

They connect then go to the blue light flashing rapidly every few minutes...

My post here.

If you Google the XT8, there is a forum post elsewhere that talks about downgrading to a specific firmware that supposedly solves your issue... Version 46061

Here is a redit on the issue as well that might be what you're describing...

Last edited:
If you search the forum, there are a few suggestions such as disabling fair airtime, MIMO, etc. Backhaul using 160mhz may be an issue as well if you are near radio/radar stations. Finally there is a 'DCHP query frequency' which you may want to change to Normal if it is currently in Aggressive.

I had a daily drop out which started a few weeks back on my XT8, where I needed to turn off/on the primary XT8. While I was preparing for an update, it dropped. I checked the log and found that the memory got 'full'. I have since updated to 3.0.0.4.388.22525 and it's been good so far.

I don't know if I'm being stupid or not here. I've tried lots of different suggestions and nothing seems to sort the issue.
My main node is plugged into the fritz modem. Then the next node is about 30ft away and drops constantly.

Does anyone have a list of things I should be doing in the settings to get this working correctly?

Have you looked into the router's system log to see if anything gets recorded when there's a dropout? Check the "wireless log" page as well, to see if it mentions anything about radar.

I had drop outs with XT9s just set up. Turns out my Intel WIFI card (9000 series) was not compliant with AX. Turned off AX but left 160Mhz on and I am getting robust speeds (same as with AX on) but everything is stable. My card is the INTC 9560 and despite what ASUS claims it ain't compatible per INTC.

It might be a good idea if you explained your setup/problem a little more clearly.

From your original description, it sounds like you have an ASUS XT8 as your primary mesh node connected to the Fritz modem, and a secondary XT8 node 30 feet away from the primary, is that correct?

Am I correct in assuming that you are using wireless as the backhaul between the two XT8 nodes? Or are you using a wired backhaul?

By "connection drops" do you mean the connection between the XT8 nodes? Or wireless/wired client connections to the XT8 nodes? Or the connection between the XT8 primary and the modem/Internet? Or some combination?

After well over a year of messing with settings and firmware upgrades, I now have a configuration with 3 XT8 nodes and all wireless backhaul that has operated reliably for over a month. No backhaul drops/downgrades. No Internet connection issues. Decent performance with no drops for wireless and wired clients. But to achieve that result, I have had to strip down the configuration of the XT8's in order to prioritize stability. My configuration settings might be of some use to you. But if your scenario is very different than mine, it might not.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!