What's new

XT8: dropping devices, can't connect AI Mesh nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rutilate

Occasional Visitor
I need some help diagnosing some crippling problems.
My XT8 router is regularly dropping devices, devices will connect with default IP address (xxx.xxx.1.xxx, should be *.50.xxx), and despite at least 40 tries, will not connect an ethernet-connected node despite multiple factory resets.

Running an XT8 router + 2 XT8 aimesh nodes. Connected iPhones and laptops are dropped ~20x/day. When dropped they'll show an IP addess of xxx.xxx.1.xxx, instead of *.50.xxx. I'll have to renew the DHCP lease 3-8 times before it'll obtain an IPV4 addres on the correct subnet. It'll keep that address for anywhere from 5 mins to 2 hours. This situation appears worse as I move further away from the router, but it'll still happen in the room right next to the router.

The nodes will regularly drop off the mesh network. They'll spend a day or more flashing blue and failing to reconnect. I'll do a factory reset, connect it to the router via ethernet cable, and sometimes it'll connect easily. The latest iteration, it has failed to connect over a period of 5 days, with at least 8-10 efforts each day to search for and add an AI Mesh node from both the iphone app and the web gui. I've factory reset the node countless numbers of times by turning on while holding the WPS button until the green lights go off then cycling power switch. When I search for the node in either the iphone app or GUI, it'll find the node, connect, offer to set the device's location, go through the 8-9 minute AI Mesh node setup process and then say on the GUI: "Unable to add your AI Mesh Node due to the following situations:..." and on the iPhone app: "This device couldn't be added to your AiMesh system. Do you want to try again?". Currently I have 2 nodes that I cannot connect under any circumstances.

The AX-XT8 is configured as a wireless router, connected to Comcast.
Current Version on all three devices : 3.0.0.4.388_23285-g5068da5, which appears to be the latest version.
Smart connect is enabled. 5GHz-2 is the backhaul channel. 2.4GHz channel bandwidth is 20/40, 5GHz is 20/4/80, control channels set to auto.

We have relatively little network congestion here on 1 acre lots. Even still, I attempted to put the control channel(s) right on top of the nearest and strongest signal, but that appeared to make the device drops worse. I turned off smart connect and exposed the 5GHz and 2.4GHz channels, which didn't seem to have any impact.

Here is a snippet from the logs. I am seeing a TON of the auth/assoc/deauth/dissasoc sequences in the logs.
Jun 7 14:01:16 bsd: bsd: Sending act Frame to 12:77:34:eb:26:e5 with transition target eth4 ssid 7c:10:c9:4b:7e:20
Jun 7 14:01:17 bsd: bsd: BSS Transit Response: ifname=eth5, event=156, token=6, status=6, mac=34:10:7c:10:c9:4b
Jun 7 14:01:17 bsd: bsd: BSS Transit Response: STA reject
Jun 7 14:01:17 bsd: bsd: Skip STA:12:77:34:eb:26:e5 reject BSSID
Jun 7 21:34:28 rc_service: cfg_server 18078:notify_rc restart_obd_monitor

Jun 7 14:34:57 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) (phyId: 2) Link DOWN.
Jun 7 14:35:23 kernel: eth3: sysport_tm port shaper set to 999000 kbps, 35000 mbs (phy speed 1000000 kbps)
Jun 7 14:35:23 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) (phyId: 2) Link Up at 1000 mbps full duplex
Jun 7 14:35:29 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) (phyId: 2) Link DOWN.
Jun 7 14:35:31 kernel: eth3: sysport_tm port shaper set to 999000 kbps, 35000 mbs (phy speed 1000000 kbps)
Jun 7 14:35:31 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) (phyId: 2) Link Up at 1000 mbps full duplex
Jun 7 14:36:54 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) (phyId: 2) Link DOWN.
Jun 7 14:37:23 kernel: eth3: sysport_tm port shaper set to 999000 kbps, 35000 mbs (phy speed 1000000 kbps)
Jun 7 14:37:23 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) (phyId: 2) Link Up at 1000 mbps full duplex
Jun 7 14:37:37 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) (phyId: 2) Link DOWN.
Jun 7 14:37:39 kernel: eth3: sysport_tm port shaper set to 999000 kbps, 35000 mbs (phy speed 1000000 kbps)
Jun 7 14:37:39 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) (phyId: 2) Link Up at 1000 mbps full duplex

Jun 7 22:39:04 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(539): wl0.1: Auth DD:DD:DD:DD:E5:38, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 7 22:39:04 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(568): wl0.1: Assoc DD:DD:DD:DD:E5:38, status: Successful (0), rssi:-78
Jun 7 22:39:19 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(503): wl0.1: Deauth_ind DD:DD:DD:DD:E5:38, status: 0, reason: Disassociated due to inactivity (4), rssi:-77
Jun 7 22:39:19 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(503): wl0.1: Deauth_ind DD:DD:DD:DD:E5:38, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-77
Jun 7 22:39:20 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(520): wl0.1: Disassoc DD:DD:DD:DD:E5:38, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Jun 7 22:42:02 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(539): wl0.1: Auth AA:AA:AA:AA:22:7E, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 7 22:42:02 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(568): wl0.1: Assoc AA:AA:AA:AA:22:7E, status: Successful (0), rssi:-45
Jun 7 22:42:20 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(503): wl0.1: Deauth_ind AA:AA:AA:AA:22:7E, status: 0, reason: Disassociated due to inactivity (4), rssi:-46
Jun 7 22:42:20 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(503): wl0.1: Deauth_ind AA:AA:AA:AA:22:7E, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-46
Jun 7 22:42:21 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(520): wl0.1: Disassoc AA:AA:AA:AA:22:7E, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Jun 7 22:44:29 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(539): eth4: Auth CC:CC:CC:CC:3F:E7, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 7 22:44:29 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(568): eth4: Assoc CC:CC:CC:CC:3F:E7, status: Successful (0), rssi:-54
Jun 7 22:49:05 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(539): wl0.1: Auth DD:DD:DD:DD:E5:38, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 7 22:49:05 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(568): wl0.1: Assoc DD:DD:DD:DD:E5:38, status: Successful (0), rssi:-77
Jun 7 22:49:22 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(503): wl0.1: Deauth_ind DD:DD:DD:DD:E5:38, status: 0, reason: Disassociated due to inactivity (4), rssi:-78
Jun 7 22:49:22 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(503): wl0.1: Deauth_ind DD:DD:DD:DD:E5:38, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-78
Jun 7 22:49:23 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(520): wl0.1: Disassoc DD:DD:DD:DD:E5:38, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0

Downgrade to 3.0.0.4.388_21xxx and see if that fix your problems

Downgrade to 3.0.0.4.388_21xxx and see if that fix your problems
I had read that the merlin/gnuton builds were supposed to ensure the absolute stability of these devices, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Can you recommend where to download the older build?

Can you recommend where to download the older build?

Go to ASUS' official download page (but if you're paranoid, don't trust my link, look it up for yourself). Click the not-very-prominent "See All Downloads" button.

Be sure to select firmware compatible with your XT8 hardware version (1.0 or 2.0 --- look at the sticker on the device to be sure). You might need to try a few different versions to find one that works OK for your situation, because ASUS firmware updates tend to be "one step forward and one step back" :(

Forgot to mention: there is lore on these forums to the effect that you should do a factory-reset-and-manually-reconfigure after replacing the firmware. That makes some sense for the case of downgrading, on the theory that an older firmware version might not understand all of the configuration data left behind by the newer version. Personally I don't do that unless I have to; but if you downgrade and things seem flakier than before, it's worth trying a reset before giving up and trying some other firmware version.

I had read that the merlin/gnuton builds were supposed to ensure the absolute stability of these devices, but it doesn't appear to be the case.
Hi,
the AiMesh code is closed source and Merlin keep it as is, and cannot modify in any matter what Asus have done

When downgrading remember to proceed firstly with the nodes, then with the main router

Forgot to mention: there is lore on these forums to the effect that you should do a factory-reset-and-manually-reconfigure after replacing the firmware. That makes some sense for the case of downgrading, on the theory that an older firmware version might not understand all of the configuration data left behind by the newer version. Personally I don't do that unless I have to; but if you downgrade and things seem flakier than before, it's worth trying a reset before giving up and trying some other firmware version.
I've seen that recommendation repeatedly, and I must say, I don't understand it. 25 years ago I got a MS in CS, and best practices dictated that you cleared all previous settings/nvram. during install/flashing. Is that not a thing with ASUS?

And some people are recommending flashing two times just to clear up any vestigial settings. Is this for real or is it superstitious?

It is real for some. That is why it is suggested still when the router/network doesn't work as expected and is obviously not in a good/known state.

It is real for some. That is why it is suggested still when the router/network doesn't work as expected and is obviously not in a good/known state.
would it be more useful for me to reflash the gnuton firmware first, before downgrading?

At this point the mesh network is all but useless and all the reviews for the XT8 (and even the newer models) are all describing the same issues--this XT line sure looks a lot like Windows Vista...

At what point is it better to just take my lumps and buy new hardware?

I would not use stock firmware (not an option).

Remove all USB devices from the routers. Fully reset the nodes (and power off). Fully reset the main router, flash the same GNUton firmware, then fully reset again.

Perform a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. Fully test the main router (on its own) before adding any nodes. Before adding any nodes, fully reset them one more time, and add them via the GUI from the main router (do not go into the GUI of the nodes).

Note that toggling options on/off aren't the same as leaving the options off in the first place. To get back to a good/known place after toggling settings randomly, do note that a full reset is the fastest way back.

The following links provide more detailed steps if needed.

You're already past the point where I would be considering new hardware (you bought the wrong Asus model, IMO). But the process above may help get you a stable and reliable network again, and it is definitely worth trying it once or twice to see if it works for your environment.

I would not use stock firmware (not an option).

Remove all USB devices from the routers. Fully reset the nodes (and power off). Fully reset the main router, flash the same GNUton firmware, then fully reset again.

Perform a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. Fully test the main router (on its own) before adding any nodes. Before adding any nodes, fully reset them one more time, and add them via the GUI from the main router (do not go into the GUI of the nodes).

Note that toggling options on/off aren't the same as leaving the options off in the first place. To get back to a good/known place after toggling settings randomly, do note that a full reset is the fastest way back.

The following links provide more detailed steps if needed.

You're already past the point where I would be considering new hardware (you bought the wrong Asus model, IMO). But the process above may help get you a stable and reliable network again, and it is definitely worth trying it once or twice to see if it works for your environment.
I'm working my way through the plethora of advice you've given.
In this thread:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88-packet-loss.62891/#post-563326
you mentioned that I should be able to:
  1. Use the following URL to bypass the setup wizard and go straight to the factory reset part of the GUI.
  2. http://router.asus.com/Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp
Unfortunately, I get the message that router.asus.com refused to connect.
When I attempt to hit HTTP://192.168.50.1/Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp, it takes me further into the QIS setup wizard, asking me to set passwords for each of the the bands.

It seems like I should be pointing to http://192.168.50.1/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp instead, if I'm going to upgrade the firmware. But even with this, I end up in the same spot in the QIS setup wizard.

In lieu of this, I've gone into the router GUI and manually uploaded the gnuton firmware for each of the ai mesh nodes and did a hard reset on each. I did a hard reset on the router, set up a new network, uploaded the gnuton firmware, did a hard reset, and then setup a new network all over again, adding in the mesh nodes connected via network cable.

does that work? or is there an update to the instructions you'd recommend I follow?

And regarding your last point, you've elsewhere recommended the GT-AX6000. I'm ready to bite the bullet and get onto a stable network. Do I need to buy two of these for a 3000 sq foot house or can I use the AX (xt8) as a mesh node (without carrying over all the same problems that I'm trying to eradicate now)?

Last edited:
Use fixed channels in non-DFS range, 80MHz 5GHz, 20MHz 2.4GHz, WPA2, disable SmartConnect. Play with 388_22525 first, minimal changes in Wi-Fi Professional settings. Don't waste your time flashing 3rd party firmware, AiMesh comes from Asuswrt. Asuswrt-Merlin had AiMesh wireless node discovery issues, not sure if they are fixed now. Don't waste your time with guides mixed with someone's opinion on things. Start with one node, when the system stabilizes add the second. XT8 is quirky, but works if you don't poke settings too much. It's just 3x identical routers in AiMesh. If nothing helps - perhaps the issue is deeper than firmware. Look for alternatives. If you still want home "mesh" system and wireless - look for Qualcomm based models.

@rutilate, yes, the steps you've taken seem good to me.

You're right, the older posts need to be updated (someday).

As for the GT-AX6000 being used in a 3,000 SqFt home, it depends on where it can be located, and on the material construction of the home too. Even how many levels the home has will be part of that consideration.

If this is a fairly current home built in NA and is on three levels and the router can be positioned close to the center of the areas to be covered, yes, it will be enough. However, only testing will tell.

If you do need two routers in AiMesh, then I would suggest a wired backhaul between two identical routers for the most stable and reliable network (always). Both running identical firmware too, of course (RMerlin, naturally).

Problematic hardware like the XT8s will remain problematic even with other/better routers running as the main (at least via AiMesh). If you want to use the XT8s, then AP mode will give you the best chance of integrating them into a GT-AX6000-powered network and give you a satisfactory network experience.

A wired backhaul is highly recommended though, and connecting two identical routers such as the GT-AX6000s via the 2.5GbE ports is even better.

The following links may also be helpful if you do need to add an AiMesh node to your home network and you want maximum performance over the greatest area.

Control Channel Setup 2021

Reset Mini Guide + Control Channel Setup Details

Control Channel Setup (more)

Update/Reset Mini Guide

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

AiMesh Ideal Placement

Just wondering if the XT8's AiMesh problems have now been fixed either by stock firmware or GNUton updates. I was planning on getting a pair of XT9s (yes I know there are better performing options) but the XT8s are a good bit cheaper now. If they are now stable I don't think I would notice the difference in performance in my non-gaming network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!