Xt8 Hard Factory Reset

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

wags1

Regular Contributor
I would like to confirm the correct way to do a hard factory reset on my XT8s, is this the correct procedure? -

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

Thanks.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Looks good to me.

The way you'll 'know' is that the setup wizard starts when you try to log in. :)

rajdude

Occasional Visitor
Just for reference...........this procedure.........which is actually the "correct and official" procedure for factory reset of XT8....... does NOT work for my two XT8s.
Instead, holding down the reset button (using a pin) for a few seconds and then releasing it does the factory reset.

The wrong, official procedure for XT8 is here:
as linked from this one

How do I know? Well, I just wasted a couple of hours doing this procedure (and more)........and finally found out that it does not work (for my units at least).

BTW, the factory reset procedure inside the GUI also works, but the two mesh units will maintain their master-slave config. In my case, on Asus' tech support instructions.......I was supposed to swap them......make the Ai mesh node the main router.............factory reset inside the GUI did NOT let me do that. I had to factory reset both units separately. Wasted a couple of my hours!

wags1

Regular Contributor
Just for reference...........this procedure.........which is actually the "correct and official" procedure for factory reset of XT8....... does NOT work for my two XT8s.
Instead, holding down the reset button (using a pin) for a few seconds and then releasing it does the factory reset.

The wrong, official procedure for XT8 is here:
as linked from this one

How do I know? Well, I just wasted a couple of hours doing this procedure (and more)........and finally found out that it does not work (for my units at least).

BTW, the factory reset procedure inside the GUI also works, but the two mesh units will maintain their master-slave config. In my case, on Asus' tech support instructions.......I was supposed to swap them......make the Ai mesh node the main router.............factory reset inside the GUI did NOT let me do that. I had to factory reset both units separately. Wasted a couple of my hours!
That is odd for sure. That process (see below) worked perfectly for both of my XT8’s.

1. Turn the router off.

rajdude

Occasional Visitor
That is odd for sure. That process (see below) worked perfectly for both of my XT8’s.

1. Turn the router off.

yeah, that is the exact same procedure in those articles I linked above. I tried it on both XT8 units I have, multiple times... did NOT work for me. Does nothing but reboot the routers.

Maybe it is my routers' firmware? I am running the latest, as of today...which is Version : 3.0.0.4.386_25790

wags1

Regular Contributor
yeah, that is the exact same procedure in those articles I linked above. I tried it on both XT8 units I have, multiple times... did NOT work for me. Does nothing but reboot the routers.

Maybe it is my routers' firmware? I am running the latest, as of today...which is Version : 3.0.0.4.386_25790
That is current official release and both mine were running that as well. Make sure you hold it long enough. IIRC I had to hold it for awhile and I think it went thru an on/off/on/off cycle. I kinda just kept holding it till it would not come on again...then left it go.

rajdude

Occasional Visitor
well, their instruction says " Release the WPS button after the power light is off. "
That is what I did and it doesn't do anything other than reboot the routers.

You seem to have held it much longer........maybe that is the trick ;-)
If that is what needs to be done instead........ Asus should update their documentation!!
LoL