What's new

XT8 mesh and preferred uplink node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vanuda

New Around Here
I have a mesh network with 6 XT8 nodes , mainly due to thick walls with metal net in them.
I.e. i need to do some radio planning to get a nice thruput on some nodes.

Like this example where 4 had great signal from 3 as well as 6 sees 5 with great signal. 2,3,5 sees 1 with a nice signal.
1 ( main ) - 2 ( satellite )
1 ( main ) - 3 ( satellite ) - 4 ( satellite )
1 ( main ) - 5 ( satellite ) - 6 ( satellite )

Unfortunately and still if i have explicit set these uplink nodes ( and based on popup help message )
After a reboot its kid of random how 4 and 6 are connected, and it never gets corrected.
I have no issue if for example if 3 is still booting when 4 is up and 4 selects 1 as example.
But after a while this should correct itself if i understand the help messages and really this should not be that hard to have working.
I.e. when 3 i up and is connected to 1 and is stable 4 should select 3 as uplink.

I have 2 different installations , both behaves in a similar way, i.e. does not obey the configurated uplink mesh node but rather random selects the node ( like it would do by te automatic setting )

No.. Ethernet is not a possibility..

How do i report this as a bug.. ( i have tried ASUS support in Sweden but they just claim that the function does not exist )
Most likely a non common setup but as it looks like the XT8 system have the configuration there for a reason it would be nice to have it working..

Attached 2 pictures to show what i configured for one mesh node and what really happened..

/U.

Attachments

• 2022-05-05 12_53_43-ASUS Wireless Router ZenWiFi AX - AiMesh.png
    2022-05-05 12_53_43-ASUS Wireless Router ZenWiFi AX - AiMesh.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 2022-05-05 12_53_09-ASUS Wireless Router ZenWiFi AX - AiMesh.png
    2022-05-05 12_53_09-ASUS Wireless Router ZenWiFi AX - AiMesh.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 118
I had a config with a total of 5 XT8s (now 4) and it was like this:
ywIZ85e.png

It is true that you can select a PREFERRED uplink node, but the aimesh system sometimes chooses other link-option...
I saw that a good method is to power on a single node at a time rather than all together (so router first, than the closer node, etc). So it appears that for the new node just powerd on, the router will obey to the choice you made for it.
(excuse my bad english)

Update on my issue

When reaching out to ASUS and i had one support engineer that understood the issue we agreed on testing a beta 9.x.x.x firmware.
I have no clue if it was a special fix firmware or just the latest standard beta.
I.e. i will not release any link, Ill let ASUS post these in the case they want.

The issue seems to have been resolved and now the uplink preferred selection works like expected.
Maybe even better as the reselection of a working node is happening within perhaps 20-30 secs if a jump node fails. ( tested with poweroff on that one )
When powering on the node the preferred uplink node is used within 20-30 secs after the jump node is 100% up.
I was so happy that i tested about 10 times just for the fun on seeing the reselections happening..:)

No clue if/when this fix will be available in the general 3.x.x.x releases and what it will be marked as.
Possibly just a "stability update"..

Regardless i have given a confirmation to the support engineer that things worked out.

Update on my issue

When reaching out to ASUS and i had one support engineer that understood the issue we agreed on testing a beta 9.x.x.x firmware.
I have no clue if it was a special fix firmware or just the latest standard beta.
I.e. i will not release any link, Ill let ASUS post these in the case they want.

The issue seems to have been resolved and now the uplink preferred selection works like expected.
Maybe even better as the reselection of a working node is happening within perhaps 20-30 secs if a jump node fails. ( tested with poweroff on that one )
When powering on the node the preferred uplink node is used within 20-30 secs after the jump node is 100% up.
I was so happy that i tested about 10 times just for the fun on seeing the reselections happening..:)

No clue if/when this fix will be available in the general 3.x.x.x releases and what it will be marked as.
Possibly just a "stability update"..

Regardless i have given a confirmation to the support engineer that things worked out.
Usually if you ask them, ASUS allow you to share. I have been able to do this previously as well.

I get not posting a link to the firmware itself without permission but why not post the complete name or version # so we can see what code it's based on to know what version fixes the issue,

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!