What's new

Release XT8 New Firmware 3.0.0.4.386_25790

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I went through this hell yesterday. Eventually I disconnected both router and node and factory reset them both. I then brought up the router by itself, configured it, connected to the internet gateway and eventually got it up and running. I then added the node to the mesh and it worked. HOWEVER, the firmware update now prevents me from changing client names and the Web UI is very slow and clunky. I am currently writing a strongly worded email to ASUS.

I went through this hell yesterday. Eventually I disconnected both router and node and factory reset them both. I then brought up the router by itself, configured it, connected to the internet gateway and eventually got it up and running. I then added the node to the mesh and it worked. HOWEVER, the firmware update now prevents me from changing client names and the Web UI is very slow and clunky. I am currently writing a strongly worded email to ASUS.
Some folks seem to have no issues with the new FW. I updated my 2 XT8s yesterday. They ran fine for 5 hours then all stations disconnected (nothing in the log). I power cycled them both and they ran again for 5 hours and all stations disconnected again (nothing in the log again). I reverted to the previous FW and they have been running fine ever since (a little over 24 hours now). Think I’ll stick with the previous FW for now.

I updated one of my XT8s (running them in individual AP mode) and have pretty good results. I have opened up all 3 bands for clients connections and on 5G2 at 80MHz width mode, I am getting more consistent throughput with my SurfacePro 7 and SurfaceGo 2 of around 100MB/s when downloading from my NAS. So I am a happy camper with this firmware. And even my devices connecting to 5G1 and 2.4G radios are more stable with no drops over 24hrs (my tvbox and TVs are all connected to the AP to 5G1 and 2G)

Updated mine yesterday with no problems at all, although I use it as a standalone router in AP mode, connected to my fibre ONT. All devices connected by wifi (no one by cable, as it is located in a wall near the ceiling, far from kids). All is ok, including a wifi ATA for voip, printers, nas...

How did you factory reset? My way is by resetting using underneath reset button and hold it for 30 seconds for node first and then the router. After all router and node boot up, it automatically got me through 1st time setup and no need to add manually second node. It will be detected itself after a minute.

I updated to this firmware and my mesh node never finished or connected. I’ve reinstalled firmware on the mesh and tried to re-add but it always fails. All suggestions are appreciated.
my way of reset:
1) reset node by using reset button until yellow led flashing for 30 second
2) reset router by using reset button until yellow led flashing for 30 second
3) Wait for both router and node show blue led
4) setup my fibre (ISP setting including VLAN) and wifi connection (channel and etc) using LAN and through WEBUI
5) setup backhaul using 160Mhz and DFS channel
6) Reboot all

Last edited:
my way of reset:
1) reset node by using reset button for 30 second
2) reset router by using reset button for 30 second
3) Wait for both router and node show blue led
4) setup my fibre (ISP setting including VLAN) and wifi connection (channel and etc) using LAN and through WEBUI
5) setup backhaul using 160Mhz and DFS channel
6) Reboot all

I reset both nodes and configured the router/aimesh through the web GUI with the same results. The mesh node will never successfully connect. In fact after the mesh node recycles Green, Blue, rapid flashing blue, white, (lather rinse repeat) I never again see an association in the "router" log for that node after the initial association.

When I reset the mesh node it always comes up and recycles same cycles green slow flash (booting I am assuming), rapid blue flashing (loading config I assume but NO EVENT logs in the router for this), white then repeat.

I CAN CONFIRM that the only way to get the cycle to stop on the mesh node is by changing the dedicated backhaul 5GHZ-2 - SSID on the router to something other than what it is currently set to. I gather through this operation that the mesh node (even after a "factory" reset) has this backhaul info already since it came as a "pair".

I repeated this by swapping the mesh/router and I can confirm that I get similar results.

The website says to do a "factory reset" power off, hold wps button, power on until lights go out. I did that on the the "mesh" node and it currently always goes back into the color cycle. I did get a screenshot that says the node cannot to parent (from the GUI when I bounced the mesh node).

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-24 075428.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-24 075428.png
    316.9 KB · Views: 158
Can you please tell me what the method is to do a true factory reset on my mesh node? It seems to be refusing to do a "factory reset". I have powered off, held WPS, powered on, wait for 30 seconds, powered off, powered on and it will still try to connect as a mesh node. I have pressed the reset button with a paperclip for 60 seconds, powered off, powered on with same results. I can confirm that I have not tried to reflash with the power off, reset, power on.

OR even better is there any way to get into the console of this puppy to figure out what it is really doing?

Again, thanks for all help.

Tech

Can you please tell me what the method is to do a true factory reset on my mesh node? It seems to be refusing to do a "factory reset". I have powered off, held WPS, powered on, wait for 30 seconds, powered off, powered on and it will still try to connect as a mesh node. I have pressed the reset button with a paperclip for 60 seconds, powered off, powered on with same results. I can confirm that I have not tried to reflash with the power off, reset, power on.

OR even better is there any way to get into the console of this puppy to figure out what it is really doing?

Again, thanks for all help.

Tech
I just use reset button until yellow led flashing and hold it until 30 seconds.. after lan reconnected, the webui shows up and i resetup all.. no issue after that.. I only use this method if i want to try each firmware

I reset both nodes and configured the router/aimesh through the web GUI with the same results. The mesh node will never successfully connect. In fact after the mesh node recycles Green, Blue, rapid flashing blue, white, (lather rinse repeat) I never again see an association in the "router" log for that node after the initial association.

When I reset the mesh node it always comes up and recycles same cycles green slow flash (booting I am assuming), rapid blue flashing (loading config I assume but NO EVENT logs in the router for this), white then repeat.

I CAN CONFIRM that the only way to get the cycle to stop on the mesh node is by changing the dedicated backhaul 5GHZ-2 - SSID on the router to something other than what it is currently set to. I gather through this operation that the mesh node (even after a "factory" reset) has this backhaul info already since it came as a "pair".

I repeated this by swapping the mesh/router and I can confirm that I get similar results.

The website says to do a "factory reset" power off, hold wps button, power on until lights go out. I did that on the the "mesh" node and it currently always goes back into the color cycle. I did get a screenshot that says the node cannot to parent (from the GUI when I bounced the mesh node).

Any thoughts?
Do your XT8 node more than 3 meter? XT8 automatically detect his pair using its low power bluetooth if it is only in range. If it is far, it can't.

Sorry not meaning to gloat, but just putting it out there...

I upgraded on the day this FW was released and (a) the upgrade was painless and took 2 minutes and required no resetting of anything. And (b) It's been completely rock solid ever since. And I haven't seen my 5GHz connectivity issue once (which was a problem for me on the previous FW). It's been flawless for 4 days now.

Sorry not meaning to gloat, but just putting it out there...

I upgraded on the day this FW was released and (a) the upgrade was painless and took 2 minutes and required no resetting of anything. And (b) It's been completely rock solid ever since. And I haven't seen my 5GHz connectivity issue once (which was a problem for me on the previous FW). It's been flawless for 4 days now.

Did your backhaul drop from 5ghz to 2,4ghz with the previous fw? And now its not?

Did your backhaul drop from 5ghz to 2,4ghz with the previous fw? And now its not?

I upgraded last night and all was good. Woke up this morning and the node had reverted to 2.4ghz for backhaul. Speed on anything connected to the node was down to about 60 megs as opposed to the usual 500 (I'm on a 1gig connection). Rebooted, twice, no difference. Did a factory reset on the node and when set up again, it then went back to 5ghz backhaul and over 500 megs. That was about 6 hours ago so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

I upgraded last night and all was good. Woke up this morning and the node had reverted to 2.4ghz for backhaul. Speed on anything connected to the node was down to about 60 megs as opposed to the usual 500 (I'm on a 1gig connection). Rebooted, twice, no difference. Did a factory reset on the node and when set up again, it then went back to 5ghz backhaul and over 500 megs. That was about 6 hours ago so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.
Aha, my xt8 was doing the same all the time with 25524 fw. Ended up with I returned them to the store and they were sent to service. Still waiting to get them back.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!