What's new

Release XT8 New Firmware 3.0.0.4.386_25790

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No but a really big house

I can imagine!
_111437914_gettyimages-480279021.jpg

One week after my miserable firmware update experience, I am still suffering from the following:
  1. I can't rename clients either via the web UI or the iPhone app
  2. I can't add family members via the iPhone app
It's time to go back to the previous version of the firmware. Does anyone have a step plan as to how to do this? I've never manually update firmware to the XT8 units.

Thanks in advance!

One week after my miserable firmware update experience, I am still suffering from the following:
It's time to go back to the previous version of the firmware. Does anyone have a step plan as to how to do this? I've never manually update firmware to the XT8 units.

Thanks in advance!
For renaming, I just use view list and click on name, edit and click anywhere to enter value..

DSC_04680.jpg

That's what I'm doing. I enter text to replace the previous name and click away from the newly entered text. It then goes back to the main menu and when I check the name again, it's gone back to the original found name. Same issue on the iPhone app. Gremlins!

That's what I'm doing. I enter text to replace the previous name and click away from the newly entered text. It then goes back to the main menu and when I check the name again, it's gone back to the original found name. Same issue on the iPhone app. Gremlins!
I think maybe you dont use reset button after update

I did use the reset button several times. Held the button on power up, waited until the lights went off, powered off and powered on again.
Maybe you can try again by push the small reset button underneath using needle and hold it for 30 second.. make sure yellow light appear

I don't want to jinx things but since my earlier post, I've now gone 72 hours without any problems. I did use the reset button on the node (and only the node) so maybe that's the answer; or I've just got lucky; or it'll all fall over tonight.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance!
For renaming I always use the Network Map screen and click on the icon directly above where it shows the number of clients. When you do that you will see the list of active stations on the right hand side of the screen. Click on the icon of the station you want to change and it will pop up a screen that allows you to make various changes. Change what you want then click on “Apply”.

To manually upgrad/downgrade the FW first dl the FW file from the Asus website. Then unzip the file into a folder that you can find. Go to the “Firmware Upgrade” tab on the Administration screen and first upgrade/downgrade the router by clicking on “Upload” and following the prompts. When that completes upgrade/downgrade the node the same way using the same file you used for the router. You will get a pop up to log in to the node, just use the same credentials you use to login to the router, then follow the prompts. After router and all nodes are upgraded/downgraded do a reboot.

I’m wondering if Asus improved there sw garbage collection or just cleaned things up a bit. Using the previous FW I would notice that as time went by when I would check the system status the used RAM % would slowly creep higher and higher. Ever since I applied this new FW that used RAM % number has never changed, it is always 69%. Been that way for days now. It was not that way using the previous FW.

For renaming I always use the Network Map screen and click on the icon directly above where it shows the number of clients. When you do that you will see the list of active stations on the right hand side of the screen. Click on the icon of the station you want to change and it will pop up a screen that allows you to make various changes. Change what you want then click on “Apply”.

To manually upgrad/downgrade the FW first dl the FW file from the Asus website. Then unzip the file into a folder that you can find. Go to the “Firmware Upgrade” tab on the Administration screen and first upgrade/downgrade the router by clicking on “Upload” and following the prompts. When that completes upgrade/downgrade the node the same way using the same file you used for the router. You will get a pop up to log in to the node, just use the same credentials you use to login to the router, then follow the prompts. After router and all nodes are upgraded/downgraded do a reboot.
Thank you! I'll give that a try when the wife and son get off the system later tonight!

So far the XT8 is running great on the latest firmware. Night and day difference from the last RC5 firmware. First time since March I didn’t have to hassle with this every day, reboot it, reset it, move it, change settings. It works like it should and it doesn’t require a tech babysitter to keep it up and running.

So far no problems with the latest firmware either on XT8. I had to run 5224 before because any firmware after that was causing my wired connections to jump back and fourth between the router and AI mesh node on the network map. This version finally does not have that problem.

Okay, I'm at my wits end. I have downgraded to Version 3.0.0.4.386.25524 and performed a factory reset. I still have the following problems:
  1. I still cannot rename client devices. When I try it immediately reverts back to the discovered name
  2. I still cannot add family members. When I try, it accepts the name and the selected devices, but when I hit apply, it reverts to the previous screen and says the table is empty.
  3. The router no longer appears to be recording any activity for any device when viewed through the Traffic Analyzer.
  4. When I go Administration > Firmware Update, it tells me that it is "Temporarily unable to get the latest firmware information. Please try again later."
Absolutely everything was working fine until the update to 3.0.0.4.386_25790 and then all hell broke loose. At this stage I don't know what to do other than to replace the entire system for one that actually works.

Am I missing something or am I just plain stupid?

Okay, I'm at my wits end. I have downgraded to Version 3.0.0.4.386.25524 and performed a factory reset. I still have the following problems:
  1. I still cannot rename client devices. When I try it immediately reverts back to the discovered name
  2. I still cannot add family members. When I try, it accepts the name and the selected devices, but when I hit apply, it reverts to the previous screen and says the table is empty.
  3. The router no longer appears to be recording any activity for any device when viewed through the Traffic Analyzer.
  4. When I go Administration > Firmware Update, it tells me that it is "Temporarily unable to get the latest firmware information. Please try again later."
Absolutely everything was working fine until the update to 3.0.0.4.386_25790 and then all hell broke loose. At this stage I don't know what to do other than to replace the entire system for one that actually works.

Did you have tried the reset method by pushing the small reset button underneath using needle and hold it for 30 second ? make sure yellow light appear

That is not normal. I would contact Asus.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!