What's new

Release XT8 New Firmware 3.0.0.4.386_25790

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would remove the node to reset it. Reset the router, configure it, and add the node.

Then if you decide to go back, flash the node and remove it to reset it. Flash the router, reset it, configure it, and add the node.

When possible, I use the webUI restore/Initialize to reset the router and purge logged data... for a bit cleaner install.

I would not restore a saved configuration if you are troubleshooting an issue. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

OE

Thanks.

That thread is a treasure.

Will give it a try this weekend. I want to take my time, so I don't rush anything.

I would remove the node to reset it. Reset the router, configure it, and add the node.

Then if you decide to go back, flash the node and remove it to reset it. Flash the router, reset it, configure it, and add the node.

When possible, I use the webUI restore/Initialize to reset the router and purge logged data... for a bit cleaner install.

I would not restore a saved configuration if you are troubleshooting an issue. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

OE

Did a reset and reconfigured everything.
And so far it's a little over 2 days running without spontaneous reboots.
It feels more stable so far.
Just sad that a full reset was required.

I've been on the new firmware where now for a few weeks and the main issue I'm having is my Node losing connection and flashing blue. I have a wired backhaul to the router. I'm forced to power cycle the node and then it comes back online. This has happened a few times already. I did do a factory reset on both after upgrading the firmware.

The other issue I had only occurred once - the router lost it's connection entirely to the internet. I had to power cycle the router and it reconnected properly. I found the previous firmware way more stable than this one. Hopefully they figure this out soon.

I've been on the new firmware where now for a few weeks and the main issue I'm having is my Node losing connection and flashing blue. I have a wired backhaul to the router. I'm forced to power cycle the node and then it comes back online. This has happened a few times already. I did do a factory reset on both after upgrading the firmware.

The other issue I had only occurred once - the router lost it's connection entirely to the internet. I had to power cycle the router and it reconnected properly. I found the previous firmware way more stable than this one. Hopefully they figure this out soon.
At the moment I just have a single unit set up in Wireless router mode and I've been having major problems this week. I've had to hard reboot the router everyday to get any sort of connection and it does seem to have started when I got an Echo Dot. I have now restricted the Dot to the 2.4ghz band to see if it makes any difference, weird thing was when I got up this morning and asked Alexa to turn on the lights, it did but when I got downstairs and powered up the PC, all the connections were lost.

Last edited:
Strangely after weeks of smooth running my XT8's have lost all internet connectivity twice now in the past 48 hours. Once, right in the middle of an important MS Teams call with a valued customer. Not good :-(

Maybe there's something going on with my internet connection. I hope so, because that was very inconvenient indeed. Maybe a full power off reboot is in order? Might that help I wonder?

Strangely after weeks of smooth running my XT8's have lost all internet connectivity twice now in the past 48 hours. Once, right in the middle of an important MS Teams call with a valued customer. Not good :-(

Maybe there's something going on with my internet connection. I hope so, because that was very inconvenient indeed. Maybe a full power off reboot is in order? Might that help I wonder?

My 86U AiMesh "lost all Internet connectivity" last night. The router webUI WAN connection was down and the cable modem was down and flashing/thrashing for its connection. I called Spectrum and their automated phone system confirmed a "planned maintenance" was in progress. So I went to bed.

OE

I finally had my XT8 replaced with new ones because of the 5ghz drops down to 2,4 on backhaul.. Now the new ones have been up and running for 3 days with no issues at all with latest firmware... Lets hope they stay this way......

You know guys that if you are having trouble with a release version of firmware you can try the next beta version as they release fixes usually earlier. There is threads in this forum that have the latest betas and release notes (like one below) Maybe take a look at the notes since sept release and see if their is any fixes to the issues you are experiencing and then reply with feedback to help if you run it and have any issues. You all seem super keen to share you experience so jump on beta testing.

ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

Anyone else notice that on the latest firmware (25790) the "LAN>DHCP Server" page only lists a single DNS server entry now, rather than fields for both primary and secondary DNS servers? I run my own PiHole DNS server, and have it's address in the only DNS field that's available now. On the previous firmware, my PiHole IP was in the primary DNS field, the secondary DNS field was left blank, and my DHCP clients only got the PiHole address for their DNS servers. Now on the most recent firmware, my DHCP clients are receiving both the PiHole IP as primary DNS, and the router's IP as secondary DNS. There doesn't seem to be any option to stop the router's DHCP service from giving out the router's IP as the secondary DNS server via DHCP. Is this a bug? Is this on purpose? I really hope this isn't on purpose, because that's a really crappy thing to do to your customers. Anyone know if I might be able to modify the DHCP server parameters via SSH? I'd really prefer to continue using the router as the DHCP server, but this may force me to switch over to the PiHole's DHCP service if I can't figure it out.

Anyone else notice that on the latest firmware (25790) the "LAN>DHCP Server" page only lists a single DNS server entry now, rather than fields for both primary and secondary DNS servers?

That page always offered a single DNS server. You are confusing it with the WAN page.

That page always offered a single DNS server. You are confusing it with the WAN page.
That may very well be. I can't say I paid that close of attention to the page before I started noticing the 2nd DNS server coming down DHCP. That part of it is defintiely new though, and I'd really like to find a way to stop if it there is one. I'm not all that fluent with Linux command line, but it should just be a dnsmasq command or config file change right?

My old DSL N55U_D1 (still releasing updates, incredibly), my prior router, had primary and secondary dns in DHCP server page, and so all routers I know. This is the first one I see with this "feature". I would like to be able to set 2 DNS as I do in WAN page.

LAN DHCP settings are completely different from WAN settings. One is what gets advertised to LAN clients (and is almost always the router's own IP address, while the WAN settings define what DNS are used for doing public name resolution, hence they allow to configure two separate servers as is the norm.

Do not configure public nameservers on the DHCP page, that will break things, for instance your LAN client's ability to resolve hostnames for other LAN clients.

I now have two XT8, one set up as regular router with smart connect disabled, where 5ghz-2 is hidden WPA3 WiFi 6 only, for dedicated "backhaul" to my 2nd XT8 in media bridge mode. Media bridge is manually connected with 5ghz-2 to this "backhaul" SSID, no other clients on this band.

I get around twice the upload speed vs. download when testing from a computer wired to the media bridge. I find that a bit strange. Gigabit symmetrical fiber btw, so around 950/950 when testing on WAN directly. Using firmware 9.0.0.4.386_41157.

1608030975165.png

Would there be any benefit of setting up AiMesh for this? I don't need the extra access point, as the router covers my whole apartment very well. I just want the most speed possible from router to my "office" three rooms away, without cables.

I now have two XT8, one set up as regular router with smart connect disabled, where 5ghz-2 is hidden WPA3 WiFi 6 only, for dedicated "backhaul" to my 2nd XT8 in media bridge mode. Media bridge is manually connected with 5ghz-2 to this "backhaul" SSID, no other clients on this band.

I get around twice the upload speed vs. download when testing from a computer wired to the media bridge. I find that a bit strange. Gigabit symmetrical fiber btw, so around 950/950 when testing on WAN directly. Using firmware 9.0.0.4.386_41157.

View attachment 28516

Would there be any benefit of setting up AiMesh for this? I don't need the extra access point, as the router covers my whole apartment very well. I just want the most speed possible from router to my "office" three rooms away, without cables.
you can try using wpa2 only

View attachment 28516

You can try using AiMesh. And beta RC2-9 firmware. :)

OE

Already using that firmware. Why do you expect AiMesh will make a difference in terms of performance here? I could try, yes, but not while gf is at home office. :D

Given there is room for improving the download speed to match the radically better upload speed... I would hope for that, not expect it. It's worth a try, imo, since media bridge appears to be falling short.

OE

One can't set DNS that will be given to clients by DHCP, per guest ssid? I'd like my IoT stuff to use a different DNS than my regular devices.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!