What's new

Release XT8 New Firmware 3.0.0.4.386_25790

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for that. I’ll send it in for repairs.

Of course the next question is what the hell we do for Wi-Fi in the meantime. Fairly top of the list in terms of required features with networks / Wi-Fi is reliability. This ASUS stuff just seems flakey. So I think I’ll be going with a different brand in future.

Thanks for that. I’ll send it in for repairs.

Of course the next question is what the hell we do for Wi-Fi in the meantime. Fairly top of the list in terms of required features with networks / Wi-Fi is reliability. This ASUS stuff just seems flakey. So I think I’ll be going with a different brand in future.
Whenever I buy a new router I always keep the previous as backup. If you didn’t have a “previous” then not sure. Short term, and for WiFi devices you could use your mobile phone as a hotspot if you have that capability.

So far the XT8 is running great on the latest firmware. Night and day difference from the last RC5 firmware. First time since March I didn’t have to hassle with this every day, reboot it, reset it, move it, change settings. It works like it should and it doesn’t require a tech babysitter to keep it up and running.

Still working?

Whenever I buy a new router I always keep the previous as backup. If you didn’t have a “previous” then not sure. Short term, and for WiFi devices you could use your mobile phone as a hotspot if you have that capability.
That's the good advice I just didn't take. I gave my old Apple Airport Extreme's to my son in Los Angeles. I won't be making that mistake again. I have just ordered another two pack of the XT8 in black and when they arrive, I'll RMA the current set and when I get them back from ASUS, that's the backup problem solved. Truth is, all this virus lockdown has meant that our home network has to be as resilient as we are used to in our corporate offices. And so we need to spend whatever is needed to have primary and backup solutions. Who knows, it might even be tax deductible :)

Still working?

Yes, it’s been working pretty well since I last posted. One thing I didn’t mention is I’ve setup and taken this down about 20 times so far and one thing I did notice is when I do a full factory reset after a firmware upgrade the XT8 is much more stable afterwards. I did a dirty upgrade (no factory reset) from RC5 to 25790 and it was a bit wonky. Reloaded 25790 and did a reset and new setup and it’s been rocking ever since. I have a friend who has the XT8 (my recommendation, he hate me) and we’re going to do the same setup on his later today and see how it goes.

Yes, it’s been working pretty well since I last posted. One thing I didn’t mention is I’ve setup and taken this down about 20 times so far and one thing I did notice is when I do a full factory reset after a firmware upgrade the XT8 is much more stable afterwards. I did a dirty upgrade (no factory reset) from RC5 to 25790 and it was a bit wonky. Reloaded 25790 and did a reset and new setup and it’s been rocking ever since. I have a friend who has the XT8 (my recommendation, he hate me) and we’re going to do the same setup on his later today and see how it goes.
Yeah, absolutely agree. I think I've posted more than 5 posts in this thread and RC2 thread to aware everyone not to do dirty upgrade on this XT8. It does not same as other model as it is auto-paired and the firmware is still immature. I will reset and setup from scratch either for upgrade or downgrade.

Ditto on factory reset AFTER upgrade. I run my XT8 pair in non-mesh AP mode and the one that I didn't reset after upgrade lost 5G2 sporadically. I bit the bullet, factory reset it and did a clean setup and has been stable since.

With fw 25790 my XT8 now works great!

Just installed the update. Initial experiences are not good.

Within 15 minutes the router had marked my Internet as "offline" (this has been an ongoing problem with the prior firmware).

As well, even when the router "knew" it had an Internet connection, various clients, which were successfully connected to WiFi, claimed to have NO Internet connection. This still happens with this latest firmware update.

VERY disappointed with this router.
I updated as well and am having stability issues. Router actually becomes unresponsive and has to be power cycled. I have a ticket open with support. Any hint on tracking down issues?

The real underlying issues may never be made public, but did you see the two posts above yours? A reset seems mandatory here.

FWIW I had major stability problems on the RC5 beta, although the features in beta were useful. Having downgraded to this new firmware my system has been very close to near perfect stability. I've gone from having to reboot every few hours to days of stability. I didn't factory reset when downgrading (nor did I when upgrading), not sure if/how this makes any difference or if there is a way to prove it either way.

I updated as well and am having stability issues. Router actually becomes unresponsive and has to be power cycled. I have a ticket open with support. Any hint on tracking down issues?
wow. did you just write and not read previous post? If you read, you may already solved it.

The real underlying issues may never be made public, but did you see the two posts above yours? A reset seems mandatory here.
Maybe, maybe not. I don’t think anyone has proven it one way or another nor has anyone to my knowledge identified root cause. Plenty of folks here have upgraded/downgraded/upgraded/etc without resorting to a reset with no problems. And honestly if Asus’s “solution” is to do a reset and re-apply all settings and customizations from scratch every time you do a FW upgrade that is really not a viable solution IMO.

It's been a viable solution for many. Nobody said it was required every time. This time, it seems that it is needed.

I think we can all agree if you currently own an XT8 system we’ve essentially been beta testers for he last six months. From what people have posted and my experience a full reset after a firmware upgrade does help quite a bit with stability issues. it’s my process going forward with this.

It's been a viable solution for many. Nobody said it was required every time. This time, it seems that it is needed.
I’m not saying that it won’t possibly help or solve an issue someone is having. But it’s kind of the equivalent of saying “we really don’t know what the problem is so just do a factory reset and see if that solves it”. For some that process is not a big deal. But if you have done lots of settings customizations and have lots of manual ip assignments and custom names and icons for all your devices, it is a significant and time consuming undertaking.

I think we can all agree if you currently own an XT8 system we’ve essentially been beta testers for he last six months. From what people have posted and my experience a full reset after a firmware upgrade does help quite a bit with stability issues. it’s my process going forward with this.
I agree we certainly have all been “unwilling” beta testers for sure. Unfortunately I will only do a full reset as an absolute last resort. It just takes way to much time and effort for me to get everything back to the way I have it setup. Now if you could do a reset and then restore your settings backup that would be a different story, but that is not what is being recommended.

I haven't seen anyone do a full reset and not have the issues they were seeing 'solved'. It is not equivalent to what you're suggesting. Some may have needed to do it each time. Some haven't. Everyone's network and network environment are different.

As @digits n bits state, beta testers. Manual IP assignments and custom names and icons are not what make a network, work. Sure, it may be what is wanted by many, but that isn't a mandatory requirement for the router to route either.

I haven't seen anyone do a full reset and not have the issues they were seeing 'solved'. It is not equivalent to what you're suggesting. Some may have needed to do it each time. Some haven't. Everyone's network and network environment are different.

As @digits n bits state, beta testers. Manual IP assignments and custom names and icons are not what make a network, work. Sure, it may be what is wanted by many, but that isn't a mandatory requirement for the router to route either.
I’m not saying anyone needs to have manual ip’s and customs names and icons...but I do and that makes it a significant work effort to do a reset. Thankfully my XT8’s have been running fine since the last FW update. Resets are absolute last resort for me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!