What's new

XT8 node keeps disconnecting from mesh; firmware 9.0.0.4.386_41994

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tcn

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have seen a few posts about this but with no definitive fix. I am stuck with this issue. My nodes are connected through the 2.5Gbps WAN ports to the network.

I add the node and works fine for a few hours after which it just disconnects and keeps trying to reconnect. This is a very annoying issue I am having since day 1 I purchased the units. I thought the new firmware would fix but .... I was wrong.

Each time it happens, I have to reboot not only the node but the master XT8 as well or it just won’t re-connect. The WAN port is still connected to the switch (the switch sees the link and confirms it is up) but no traffic is sent through.

The first issue I was having at first (with an old firware where we could not force the WAN port on Ethernet) was that there was a loop between the WIFI and the wired network and the switches were disabling the ports. A new firmware was enabling the mesh feature to be forced on the wired network bu I still gert disconnections. I am not sure if this is still loops in the network as I have not been able to detect one yet.

Has anyone found a solution to a working mesh network on wired interfaces using the XT8? I am about to set everything in AP mode and just forget about the mesh.

Yes, the units are in smart connect but this should not affect the wired interface.........

Thanks for your input,
tcn

Hi,

I have seen a few posts about this but with no definitive fix. I am stuck with this issue. My nodes are connected through the 2.5Gbps WAN ports to the network.

I add the node and works fine for a few hours after which it just disconnects and keeps trying to reconnect. This is a very annoying issue I am having since day 1 I purchased the units. I thought the new firmware would fix but .... I was wrong.

Each time it happens, I have to reboot not only the node but the master XT8 as well or it just won’t re-connect. The WAN port is still connected to the switch (the switch sees the link and confirms it is up) but no traffic is sent through.

The first issue I was having at first (with an old firware where we could not force the WAN port on Ethernet) was that there was a loop between the WIFI and the wired network and the switches were disabling the ports. A new firmware was enabling the mesh feature to be forced on the wired network bu I still gert disconnections. I am not sure if this is still loops in the network as I have not been able to detect one yet.

Has anyone found a solution to a working mesh network on wired interfaces using the XT8? I am about to set everything in AP mode and just forget about the mesh.

Yes, the units are in smart connect but this should not affect the wired interface.........

Thanks for your input,
tcn

Are the nodes wired directly to the router LAN ports? And if not, would that make a difference?

OE

Are the nodes wired directly to the router LAN ports? And if not, would that make a difference?

OE
The WAN ports are used to get the 2.5Gbps; I do not see the point in using the LAN 1Gbps ports for this..... And not sure why it would make a difference either.....

Good day,

please inform me how to set QNAP switch QSW-M2108-2C fw - 1.0.2 build 20210122 to work Ethernet backhaul between ZenWiFi AX (AT8), both have fw: - 9.0.0.4.386_41994. One is in access point (AP) mode / AiMesh router in AP mode and the other as AiMesh Node. Unfortunately, the Ethernet backhaul does not work via the QNAP switch. If I replace the QNAP switch with a regular TP-Link TL-SG105, everything is fine and the Ethernet backhaul will start normally.

Thank you in advance for the information.
Sorry mate; you’ll have to start a new thread for this; I have absolutely no idea how the QNAP switch works.

The WAN ports are used to get the 2.5Gbps; I do not see the point in using the LAN 1Gbps ports for this..... And not sure why it would make a difference either.....

So, wired like this:

1612651725246.png

Given the LAN ports are Gigabit Ethernet, the 2.5 Gbps WAN port won't matter much.

You mention a switch. If you are using a switch in the backhaul path, maybe it is a factor in the disconnects. You could try a direct cable (no switch)... and try a different cable.

And, of course, if you have not reset the firmware before configuring it, that's worth a try.

I can't imagine WPA3 being a factor, but it's new enough to consider disabling it.

OE

My setup is not gigabit; the two XT8 are connected to a 10Gbps switch which is in turn connected to my server and ISP equipment. So yes, 2.5Gbps backhaul is wanted to access my server. It is not just Internet.

The switch cannot be the issue; if it is then the XT8 are the problem. Switches are the foundation of networking.

WPA3 has nothing to do with the wired backhaul either; this should not matter.

I did reset the firmware a few times; the node still won’t cooperate. Hence why I came to the forum.

My setup is not gigabit; the two XT8 are connected to a 10Gbps switch which is in turn connected to my server and ISP equipment. So yes, 2.5Gbps backhaul is wanted to access my server. It is not just Internet.

The switch cannot be the issue; if it is then the XT8 are the problem. Switches are the foundation of networking.

WPA3 has nothing to do with the wired backhaul either; this should not matter.

I did reset the firmware a few times; the node still won’t cooperate. Hence why I came to the forum.

I appreciate that you want to use your switch, but if you can prove it works without the switch, then you have isolated the problem to a conflict with the switch and can decide where to go from there.

OE

Mine was doing that due to double NAT from the Verizon combo modem/router. I found out I had double NAT when I tried to turn on DDNS. Are you on Verizon FIOS?

Yeah, switches a great! :)
BUT Level 2 or level 3 switches can really mess with you, and need to be set up right. :mad:
"Dumb" switches are perhaps a better choice a home system. :eek:

Why not test with a dumb switch?

"The switch cannot be the issue"

I don't know how many times I've heard this. Without complete knowledge of every working component (including cables), there is no way to verify this. Even with complete knowledge of every working component, you still have firmware (that you know nothing about) and bugs with specific types of devices. I've heard from engineers on HP gold support say "it's not supposed to do that". But it does.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!