What's new

XT8 random disconnects.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phillips39

New Around Here
Hi,

Please help!

I have three XT8's, currently set up not in AiMesh, but rather as one router and two APs. All three are running 9.0.0.4.386.41994. All set up in wired backhaul as I have ethernet points through the house. Factory resets performed after firmware upgrades. I have a 300/50 BT Fibre service.

I tried to set them up in mesh, and whereas I was able to set them up and see them fine, this would only generally last about an hour or two before one or both nodes fell off the network and I would have to reboot everything. Hence, why I gave up and they are set up as router and two APs.

I have the usual issues of sticky APs and devices not necessarily moving as quickly as I would like. However, I can happily live with that as long as everything remains connected somehow.

However, the issue that is driving me nuts is relatively frequently I get random drop outs. This can happen at any time and could be whilst streaming or anything. Obvious alert is when my ring alarm alerts me that it is operating on mobile back up due to losing connection. The alarm is hard wired to the router XT8.

I'm confused as to why this would happen. Prior to getting these, I had three AC airport extremes/time capsules set up as APs which worked flawlessly for nearly 10 years until one died of old age. Also, the AiMesh 2.0 should work much better than that shouldn't it? Others seem to have it working absolutely fine, yet I can't get the nodes to remain connected.

Any help greatly appreciated as about ready to bin these!

Thanks.

Hi
I think the last few firmware releases have been very unstable. I am stuck on 25790 because of multiple issues inc Sonos connectivity issues, clients connected to mesh nodes having random dropouts (more reliable when connected directly to main router), wifi calling drops, VPN client drops. V frustrating, made worst by less than helpful UK support service (read no idea if these isssues being worked on, but assuming they are). Not sure if you’ve tried downgrading to see if helps.

Suggest logging a ticket with support even if not such a great experience (bigger customer voice).

Andrew

Firmware version 41793 wasn't stable for me, either. Have reverted to 26044, done reset to factory defaults, and manually reconfigured. Now everything's stable again. I'll try AiMesh 2.0 on the next firmware release, and see if it's more stable for me.

Note that I tried 41793 twice, once with factory reset and once without, unstable both times.

Thanks for the replies. I have actually introduced a RT-AX86u into the mix as the router now, running Merlin.

So far, seems much more reliable in running things. Passed any return window on the XT8s so they are now running as mesh nodes off that. Still running 41793 on those, but I may consider dropping the three of them back down to 26044 or 25790 as I am suspicious that they still occasionally slow the mesh down and caused the AX86 to reboot the whole network - plus, after initially setting up the AX86 with XT8 nodes, one of the nodes (factory reset) dropped off the network and I had to reset it completely and add it back as a node again. Was a frustrating weekend that!

If the nodes run an older firmware (that doesn't have AiMesh 2.0 built in), can the AX86 (running latest Merlin) still add them as nodes under AiMesh 2.0 or will that only work with 41793 installed on them? Sorry if that's a daft question! As I said before, quite enjoy playing around with tech (masochist clearly!), but had my airport extremes/time capsules running solidly without issue for nearly 10 years until one simply died toward the end of last year. I would have thought these 'high end' routers would be just as reliable in that regard?

Since last firmware, I'm having issues browsing Google webs (Gmail, Analytics, My Business, etc). They seems offline, and suddenly they load. (and Gmail tab says "lost connection", when the rest of tabs are ok) The same with any page that uses Analytics. I have tried EVERYTHING. My ISP says it is my fault, and now, reading you, I think they are right. About two hours ago, I have changed the XT8 by the horrible ZTE that they gave to me, with no problems at all. Do you think my problems may be related with the latest firm too? After a reboot it goes ok, but in a few hours, problems start. And I can't solve any Google captcha (the "I'm not a robot" one)

Running latest FW here on XT8 Mesh 3 nodes....no issues.....havent had any issues on previous FW since installing the Network in Dec. I also have yet to a "clean factory reset" after all FW updates (just too lazy) and no issues.
I have noticed I'm utilizing 80% of my RAM, but figured it was probably the 4TB HDD plugged into the USB port with 2TB of data on it?

Running latest FW here on XT8 Mesh 3 nodes....no issues.....havent had any issues on previous FW since installing the Network in Dec. I also have yet to a "clean factory reset" after all FW updates (just too lazy) and no issues.
I have noticed I'm utilizing 80% of my RAM, but figured it was probably the 4TB HDD plugged into the USB port with 2TB of data on it?
Mine too. I don't understand why a drive with only files (no multimedia) in it may cause so much ram usage.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!