What's new

xt8 second 5G wifi not visible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

evlo

Regular Contributor
I bought XT8 mainly because I like the looks with no external antennas and white color,
immediately installed "gnuton"'s merlin build onto it
, i bought just one unit
, but i canůt see the 5g-2 netwrok from ax200 clients or snapdragon ones. Is is because of the chanels it use or is ti blocked by asus?

why dont you just go to wireless setting and choose hide ssd to 'no'?

that was the first thing i checked, maybe i'm blind

i even tried smartconnect, still only uses 5g-1, even for 1000mib+ phy devices.

QtDp17y.png

X0M8FYA.png

o9Q1UGi.png

Maybe it is client thing, but both snapradgon and ax200 are affected

If it was just hidden i would see it as hidden sid network, right?

Last edited:
that was the first thing i checked, maybe i'm blind

i even tried smartconnect, still only uses 5g-1, even for 1000mib+ phy devices.

QtDp17y.png

X0M8FYA.png

o9Q1UGi.png

Maybe it is client thing, but both snapradgon and ax220 are affected

If it was just hidden i would see it as hidden sid network, right?
what channel did you use for 5Ghz-2? you may play a bit with channel other than DFS if available.

these are the only available options
1650121098755.png

and yes, i would like to use non dfs Channel, but that is just not an option
available channels for 5Ghz-2 don't change even if i turn 5Ghz-1 off.
5Ghz-1 has these options:
1650121473129.png

It is not possible to set it to use ie. channel 32 even thought that is available in my country

Update so i thought about it and set it to 120 for 5Ghz-2 and 44 for 5Ghz-1 and I can now see the network, but can't connect to it.

Last edited:
So I restarted my PC and now the network is gone, I guess maybe HW problem with the router? :(

now when i disabled 5Ghz-1 i was able to connect to 5Ghz-2, access router interface, but not internet, then after about a minute 5Ghz-2 disappeared, i will return this thing.

I really like the design and asusWrt, but for the price i would like 160hz width.
Well I'm not very surprised actually :(

Last edited:
I did try that one, it is the same.
When i have 5GHz-1 disabled I was able once to connect from computer, i got about 900mbps download on speedtest.net, but it was downward slope a then network disappeared, i really think it is hardware issue, and after that i was not able to connect again.

Even factory reset does not work, routers remembers my remembers my set lan ip address, shame

Last edited:
The most likely cause is that your client does not support DFS channels. Or your router detects a radar nearby and doesn't have DFS channels enabled (maybe give it some time, scanning for DFS channels usually takes a while)

You can go to the system logs -- wireless to check the status of the radios.

But it's best to check if your client supports DFS channels.

Even factory reset does not work, routers remembers my remembers my set lan ip address, shame
The same IP address because your client prefers the last IP address, not because of your router.

Check AiMesh tab - System Settings and make sure ethernet backhaul mode is checked. I'm wondering if the unit is trying to sync to a non-existent 2nd unit and reclaiming your 5-2 band in the process.
So I restarted my PC and now the network is gone, I guess maybe HW problem with the router? :(

now when i disabled 5Ghz-1 i was able to connect to 5Ghz-2, access router interface, but not internet, then after about a minute 5Ghz-2 disappeared, i will return this thing.

I really like the design and asusWrt, but for the price i would like 160hz width.
Check AiMesh tab - System Settings and make sure ethernet backhaul mode is checked. Maybe your device is trying to sync to a non-existent 2nd unit and is reclaiming your 5Ghz-2 band in the process?

you cannot use 160Mhz as your area have radar equipment.. thats why it keep missing.. and that is also why Asus need to introduced 6Ghz channel to cover this problem.. My area dont have radar so I can use that 160MHz for a long period.

There is radar in my country that uses FEW of those frequencies, not in my area, how does the 160hz blocking work? Why would it not broadcast at all in 40/80/160 auto mode?

Radar operator even publish list of violators in the reserved frequencies
YOkHVYv.png

Also I could accept that it is hardware fault (still sucks), but the fact, that the router does not reset all of it's settings in hard factory reset makes it untrustworthy anymore :(

Last edited:
If a reset doesn't actually reset the router fully/completely...

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

I would repeat the steps above in the first link a few times (while checking to see if the router did get fully reset, between attempts) before I would put it down to a hardware fault. Many routers that seemed beyond help have been brought back to life by simply resetting them multiple times in a row (in as many different ways as possible).

Use the last link to minimally and manually configure the router afterward.

Do not use a saved backup config file.

Do not use old settings/features, scripts, and options that worked 'once upon a time' on older firmware.

Do not reuse a USB drive that was previously used as the amtm drive without first formatting it on a PC in NTFS format, first (i.e. 'clean').

The following may also help to get the network/router back to a good/known state.

Remember, the key is to take nothing for granted (no assuming!). New SSIDs, passwords, and adhering to the suggestions for those will all help (at least while you're testing for hardware faults).

And finally, do not underestimate the power of reading the changelogs and understanding the changes brought by new firmware vs. how the same type of things was handled by the router previously.

A router doesn't stand on its own. It is just part of a chain in the network, and the whole network should be 'clean' if you properly want to test the hardware itself.

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD