What's new

XT9 AiMesh roaming trouble

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I still don't know what region you live in. Perhaps your 5GHz-1 has a region limit up to 200mW and 5GHz-2 allows up to 1000mW? Quite possible.

You were okay with Power Save settings, 5GHz-1 radio is perhaps good enough for your needs. Test all the available options and see what works better.

I live in the UK. No idea what that means for power allowance

Well I have 1GB coming in, and under power saving settings I was still hitting 800mbps up and 700 down on 5GHz-2. But as we discussed, I don't exactly have the technical experience so I have no idea if that even matters.

5GHz-1 drops me down to around 4-500 up and down

Have you tried setting it to Fair?
5GHz-1 in UK (and EU) is limited up to 200mW.

I live in the UK. No idea what that means for power allowance.

This means you have up to 200mW on lower 5GHz range (non-DFS, 36-48, 5GHz-1 radio), up to 1000mW in middle 5GHz range (DFS*, 100-144, 5GHz-2 radio) and perhaps your router doesn't have upper 5GHz range (non-DFS, 149-161, it was allowed in the UK recently, up to 200mW). For better Wi-Fi stability I would reccomend using 5GHz-1 radio in non-DFS range 36-48. If it gives you better roaming as well - bonus. I don't think your 5GHz-1 radio can overlap preset 5GHz-2 channels. No much of a choice anyway.

* - radar communications detection will disrupt your Wi-Fi until the channel is clear.

More about DFS range and how it works here:

Have you tried setting it to Fair?
5GHz-1 in UK (and EU) is limited up to 200mW.

I actually have it set to Fair currently, with OFDM 6 Multi cast rate (seems to help?? but not sure how necessary this setting is).

It actually did roam for me once under these circumstances, but going to continue testing how consistent it is.

Your routers are perhaps right hand drive. This may be the issue. 🤭

100-144, 5GHz-2 radio) and perhaps your router doesn't have upper 5GHz range (non-DFS, 149-161, it was allowed in the UK recently, up to 200mW).
I have channels 36-64 and only 100-140. I think it will be the same in the UK.
I actually have it set to Fair currently, with OFDM 6 Multi cast rate (seems to help?? but not sure how necessary this setting is).
I'm not convinced that Multicast Rate changes anything. Have you tried setting a high value? Additionally, you can disable IGMP Snooping.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!