What's new

YazDHCP YazDHCP and manual assignment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Techrey

New Around Here
Hi. I’m using Merlin 386.5_2 and YazDHCP 1.04. I have a manual address assignment for a WiFi device, but when the device connects it gets a different address. I’ve tried different addresses, but it always picks up the same address which is not the one I want to manually assign. I excluded the address it gets, from the scope and it gets a different address, but still not the one I want to assign to it. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi. I’m using Merlin 386.5_2 and YazDHCP 1.04. I have a manual address assignment for a WiFi device, but when the device connects it gets a different address. I’ve tried different addresses, but it always picks up the same address which is not the one I want to manually assign. I excluded the address it gets, from the scope and it gets a different address, but still not the one I want to assign to it. Any help would be appreciated.
I have more information. I recently deleted some entries from my manual assignment list and was trying to reuse one of the addresses. It won’t assign that address. When I used an address that I believe has never been assigned, it worked. Is there some kind of cache that I need to clear before I can reuse a manually assigned address?

working fine for me on Merlin 386.5_2
your issue seems similar to one someone on the new beta is having here:

It might help if you shared screen shots of what your LAN DHCP settings look like (the entire page).

Last edited:
working fine for me on Merlin 386.5_2
your issue seems similar to one someone on the new beta is having here:

It might help if you shared screen shots of what your LAN DHCP settings look like (the entire page).
Here’s a screenshot of the DHCP page. The rest of it is the list of manually assigned addresses.

Attachments

• CEA2A635-5F4F-499D-8E47-9729FC9EB80F.jpeg
    CEA2A635-5F4F-499D-8E47-9729FC9EB80F.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 189
Here’s a screenshot of the DHCP page. The rest of it is the list of manually assigned addresses.
Are all of your "manual assignments" inside or use the same network as the parent (e.g. 192.168.1.0/24)? (also have you made sure your "device" doesn't have a manually static address configured on the device itself that would otherwise negate the routers advertised assignment for it?) Also, what are the contents of /etc/dnsmasq.conf?

you can determine this by putting

Code:
cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf
inside the ssh terminal.

Are all of your "manual assignments" inside or use the same network as the parent (e.g. 192.168.1.0/24)? (also have you made sure your "device" doesn't have a manually static address configured on the device itself that would otherwise negate the routers advertised assignment for it?) Also, what are the contents of /etc/dnsmasq.conf?

you can determine this by putting

Code:
cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf
inside the ssh terminal.
The dnsmasq.conf still shows the manual entries that I deleted in the GUI. They’re listed as dhcp-host=MAC address,set:MAC address,hostname,IP Address. This could be why it doesn’t let me reuse them. Should I clear out all of these dhcp-host entries?

The dnsmasq.conf still shows the manual entries that I deleted in the GUI. They’re listed as dhcp-host=MAC address,set:MAC address,hostname,IP Address. This could be why it doesn’t let me reuse them. Should I clear out all of these dhcp-host entries?
You cannot overide any entries in dnsmasq.conf without knowing what this script puts in dnsmasq.conf.

e.g. for yaz-dhcp requires these entries to be present in dnsmasq.conf to work.
Code:
addn-hosts=/jffs/addons/YazDHCP.d/.hostnames # YazDHCP_hostnames
dhcp-hostsfile=/jffs/addons/YazDHCP.d/.staticlist # YazDHCP_staticlist
dhcp-optsfile=/jffs/addons/YazDHCP.d/.optionslist # YazDHCP_optionslist

if they are not present, good luck getting the script to work.

any additional entries you put in, need to account for what is in the gui. You cannot create conflict by adding your own entries manually, if you are expecting those identical gui entries ( or lack there of) to behave properly.

Last edited:
e.g. for yaz-dhcp requires these entries to be present in dnsmasq.conf to work.
Code:
addn-hosts=/jffs/addons/YazDHCP.d/.hostnames # YazDHCP_hostnames
dhcp-hostsfile=/jffs/addons/YazDHCP.d/.staticlist # YazDHCP_staticlist
dhcp-optsfile=/jffs/addons/YazDHCP.d/.optionslist # YazDHCP_optionslist

if they are not present, good luck getting the script to work.

any additional entries you put in, need to account for what is in the gui. You cannot create conflict by adding your own entries manually, if you are expecting those identical gui entries ( or lack there of) to behave properly.
So how do I get rid of those entries?

First you need to share your contents of /etc/dnsmasq.conf before any one can troubleshoot your concerns. There in lies your issue.
I was able to fix my issue. I cleared dhcp_staticlist, dhcp_hostnames and custom_clientlist from the NVRAM. I then uninstalled YazDHCP and verified that the manually assigned list was empty in the GUI and that the dhcp-host entries were gone from the dnsmasq.conf. I reinstalled YazDHCP and restored my list from a CSV file that I had previously exported. The dhcp-host entries are still gone and I can now reuse the previously assigned addresses. Thanks SomeWhereOverTheRainBow, I couldn’t have figured it out without your help.