What's new

YazFi YazFi - enhanced AsusWRT-Merlin Guest WiFi inc. SSID <-> VPN Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@daedex I'm not sure about the VPN part of your question, but you do not have a guest (isolated) SSID on the AP. That is not possible in current firmware as far as I know.

I haven't tried, but is it possible to set up a 2.5 & 5 with the same SSID and use Smart Connect so that I could give guests 1 SSID and 1 password to setup their device? Or would this break something

Wouldn't break anything, but it would be only by chance as to which band/speed you would connect.

I have read through this thread and may have missed what I am looking for. It would be very useful for me to be able to change the Destination IP of one of the YazFi VPNs, so the YazFi guest network only tunnels through the assigned VPN if it wants to connect to a specific scope.

I had several devices on a particular (not YazFi) guest network connect to a 192.168.x.0/24 scope and it worked fine, but I cannot edit the entry through the GUI, and I don't want to even try to find the appropriate configuration file before asking if it will work. It DOES work as is, I just wonder if I am forcing all traffic through the VPN.

Thanks for this awesome script, Jack! It is a very good feeling to isolate and minimize IoT analytics, among other things. More privacy + more security = Less 1984.

I have recently changed my setup so that I am running a DNS server on a device located on my local network, rather than previously when I was running Unbound/Adblocking on the router itself. I have used DNSFilter to forward all requests to this IP address and it works as expected.

One thing I noticed is that, in order to get any clients connected to YazFi guest networks to use this server, I needed to force DNS within the script. I thought that DNSFilter would take over as No.1 priority. Purely out of interest, is that expected behaviour for guest networks to need the DNS forced, despite DNSFilter being active?

Is there a quick way to remedy this? It doesn't seem to cause a problem, but it is aesthetically displeasing :)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 266
1. I had two guest networks enabled to a VPN. When I disabled them, the routing rules stayed in the VPN client. 2. I also made a rule after the rules when multiple guest networks were entered in to the VPN client. When I disabled a few guest networks, the rule I entered was deleted. 3. This also happened when I disabled the last two guest networks.
Code:
Mar 12 15:35:34 rc_service: httpds 1058:notify_rc start_yazfi
Mar 12 15:35:34 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start yazfi)
Mar 12 15:35:34 YazFi: Updated settings from WebUI found, merging into /jffs/addons/YazFi.d/config
Mar 12 15:35:35 YazFi: Merge of updated settings from WebUI completed successfully
Mar 12 15:35:35 YazFi: WebUI config updated - running YazFi
Mar 12 15:35:35 YazFi: YazFi v4.0.1 starting up
Mar 12 15:35:35 YazFi: No YazFi guests are enabled in the configuration file!
I understand that manually deleting the VPN rules left over and rebooting will probably fix everything. I just wanted to let you know.

1. I had two guest networks enabled to a VPN. When I disabled them, the routing rules stayed in the VPN client. 2. I also made a rule after the rules when multiple guest networks were entered in to the VPN client. When I disabled a few guest networks, the rule I entered was deleted. 3. This also happened when I disabled the last two guest networks.
Code:
Mar 12 15:35:34 rc_service: httpds 1058:notify_rc start_yazfi
Mar 12 15:35:34 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start yazfi)
Mar 12 15:35:34 YazFi: Updated settings from WebUI found, merging into /jffs/addons/YazFi.d/config
Mar 12 15:35:35 YazFi: Merge of updated settings from WebUI completed successfully
Mar 12 15:35:35 YazFi: WebUI config updated - running YazFi
Mar 12 15:35:35 YazFi: YazFi v4.0.1 starting up
Mar 12 15:35:35 YazFi: No YazFi guests are enabled in the configuration file!
I understand that manually deleting the VPN rules left over and rebooting will probably fix everything. I just wanted to let you know.
Can you share a screenshot of what your rules looked like prior to disabling the guests?

@TheLyppardMan I can't reproduce your issue on a fresh install, but I suspect it's some sort of race condition/slow writing of the page after the first time download. What happens if you open YazFi and use option u?

Can you share a screenshot of what your rules looked like prior to disabling the guests?

After disabling in the GUI menu and rebooting, the web page would not show. This is what it said.
Code:
Mar 13 07:41:55 YazFi: YazFi v4.0.1 starting up
Mar 13 07:41:55 YazFi: No YazFi guests are enabled in the configuration file!

I uninstalled and reinstalled. After I reinstalled through amtm, the web page was there but got a 404 on click. I had to force an update and everything worked again.

Here's the screenshot.
Shot0001.jpg

After disabling in the GUI menu and rebooting, the web page would not show. This is what it said.
Code:
Mar 13 07:41:55 YazFi: YazFi v4.0.1 starting up
Mar 13 07:41:55 YazFi: No YazFi guests are enabled in the configuration file!

I uninstalled and reinstalled. After I reinstalled through amtm, the web page was there but got a 404 on click. I had to force an update and everything worked again.

Here's the screenshot.
View attachment 21893
I think I've found the cause of the 404 on install - fix will be out along with Chromecast fixes shortly

Fantastic work. It's been working great.

I now have a second access point that is hardwired. How do I go about getting the guest network onto the other AP? Do I just install Yazfi and set it up exactly the same as my main router?

Hello I am still a noob to the Asus router as I just bought it a month ago and of course soon after I discovered amtm scripts. I started installing them one by one starting with Skynet, Diversion, Common and yesterday I started playing with YazFi.

I really like it as I use guest networks for my IoT Devices and another 5 GHz one for when my friends come over. I always wanted to have them on a different subnet but wasn't sure how ... until now lol

My issue is when I got to my Network Map in my router config it shows all my devices but with the original DHCP subnets and not the ones that I setup with YazFi. I have a couple that showed correctly but now they all show the original subnet. I tried using manual IP setting but it will not allow me to manually set IP outside my routers subnet.

When I run YazFi it shows most of my devices have switched over to the new subnets but not my WeMo devices but they are picky so I might need to play around with them more.

But I was hoping that in Network Map it would show the devices with the new subnets assigned from YazFi. Did I do something wrong?

Hello I am still a noob to the Asus router as I just bought it a month ago and of course soon after I discovered amtm scripts. I started installing them one by one starting with Skynet, Diversion, Common and yesterday I started playing with YazFi.

snip for readability.
Not sure if its a bug in the Asus firmware coding (that Merlin firmware is based on) where the information is being pulled from the NVRAM, but the Network Map listing of DHCP addresses doesn't properly poll the right Guest IP addresses when using scripts like the YazFi script. Rather it uses the IP address of the main IP address subnet network, if that device was ever connected to the main IP address subnet. Instead look at the System Log > DHCP Leases page which should show the correct IP addresses being assigned by the guest network(s).

I made a post earlier in the thread detailing how to take things even further and manually assign IP addresses to the various guest devices. See this post ##640 or this post #944 for more information.

Not sure if its a bug in the Asus firmware coding (that Merlin firmware is based on) where the information is being pulled from the NVRAM, but the Network Map listing of DHCP addresses doesn't properly poll the right Guest IP addresses when using scripts like the YazFi script. Rather it uses the IP address of the main IP address subnet network, if that device was ever connected to the main IP address subnet. Instead look at the System Log > DHCP Leases page which should show the correct IP addresses being assigned by the guest network(s).

I made a post earlier in the thread detailing how to take things even further and manually assign IP addresses to the various guest devices. See this post ##640 or this post #944 for more information.

Wow thanks that is amazing I wanted to do that as I am kind of OCD with stuff but I figured it wasn't possible yet. I really appreciate the info.

So everything is working fine just Network Map is not reporting properly. Hope that gets fixed cause I liked seeing all my devices sorted by IP range the way I had it setup before with all static assigned but I liked having them on a different subnet over having control over each IP.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!