What's new

YazFi YazFi Lite with Router in AP Mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drewski22785

Occasional Visitor
Hi @Jack Yaz , your addon has been outstanding, especially for my recent needs.

Are there any plans to implement a lite version of your addon to operate in AP Mode? Most of the functions wouldn't work but I think it would be a great function to add. It would allow soft handoff between SSID's on guest for example.

Right now I converted my two AP Mode routers back to Routed mode but had to do some hacks to get it to function similar for non guest SSID's. It wasn't too complicated to get working but still a hack none the less.

I would be more than happy to help with it and test since I have a multi AP mode environment.

In another post which I tag'd incorrectly so you probably never saw I implemented a multi-vpn capability via vpn director to allow for failover between vpns. It's simple but it looks at all vpn's that are up and adds the appropriate rules etc... The failover is based on TUN # obviously since that is how vpn director makes its decision. I did not make it for the old version though...

Last edited:
There isn't a YazFi member present in these forums. :)

@Jack Yaz is who you need to direct your post, to.

YazFi can't be used when the router isn't in router mode.

There isn't a YazFi member present in these forums. :)

@Jack Yaz is who you need to direct your post, to.

YazFi can't be used when the router isn't in router mode.
You are right, current state and full featured it definitely can't. But a lite version I think would be possible, just Guest IP/SSID setup.

On the AP mode router, I was able to separate a guest ssid, add an ip to it, and ping the router in Router Mode which had a corresponding SSID with the same subnet. I did add these into the br0 so they would be reachable and had to do secondary ip's on the br0's. Clearly this isn't ideal but it shows multi subnet connectivity is viable.

I did attempt to setup dhcp with no luck, either connecting through the AP router (got the local brn IP) or on the Full router wasn't getting any ip. If there is a way to properly identify the dhcp request that is on the AP at the Full Router this becomes very much workable. What is the best way to identify that traffic I am not sure, some kind of unique tag maybe, possibly enabling dhcp and setting up some kind of relay to the Full router?

Technically, I think it is very much possible, and yes we are probably stepping into some of the AIMESH territory because now the routers will likely have to communicate for this to work, pass config files potentially etc...

YazFi relies on the firewall and DHCP to achieve most/all of its features, so fundamentally conflicts with AP mode. A future version may be compatible, but its not a small task.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!