What's new

YazFi YazFi v4.x

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am gettting ready to upgrade to newest Merlin FW and latest YazFi, would like to ask for advice on how to best get my guest networks on VPN clients to use the (NextDNS) DNS-Over-TLS servers in my WAN list.

1) Is it recommended to not use VPN DNS?
2) What is the best way to achieve this given new DNS features in YazFi?

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing regular spikes in high (over 50%) CPU usage now with YazFi?

When I kill YazFi Monitor the spikes stop.

Code:
/jffs/addons/YazFi.d/S98YazFiMonitor stop

Where the yellow arrow is, is about where I issued the stop code. The routine spikes appear to stop after that.

View attachment 35262
I noticed spikes when I first upgraded, but assumed it was just a normal part of the various upgrades that had occurred. Just checked and I'm seeing very similar behavior to what you're reporting.

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing regular spikes in high (over 50%) CPU usage now with YazFi?

When I kill YazFi Monitor the spikes stop.

Code:
/jffs/addons/YazFi.d/S98YazFiMonitor stop

Where the yellow arrow is, is about where I issued the stop code. The routine spikes appear to stop after that.

View attachment 35262

I noticed spikes when I first upgraded, but assumed it was just a normal part of the various upgrades that had occurred. Just checked and I'm seeing very similar behavior to what you're reporting.
is this actually causing any issues with your router's performance?

I'll need to check my IoT and Guest networks when I'm back home, but expect that there will be a measurable reduction in throughout since those are funneled through the VPN, which is already CPU limited.

Any idea what's causing the spiking/higher CPU load on the latest YazFi?

I'll need to check my IoT and Guest networks when I'm back home, but expect that there will be a measurable reduction in throughout since those are funneled through the VPN, which is already CPU limited.

Any idea what's causing the spiking/higher CPU load on the latest YazFi?
YazFiMonitor runs in the background to provide up to date information about connected clients when you visit the webui. it's either that or I spam the syslog everytime you visit the page

YazFiMonitor runs in the background to provide up to date information about connected clients when you visit the webui. it's either that or I spam the syslog everytime you visit the page
Is it possible to make the toggle setting for refreshing clients stick so that the refresh can be disabled?

Webui would refresh clients any time the YazFi page is loaded and then periodic client refresh would only occur if the toggle is active?

Not sure in my case. I've had the router now have issues twice since updating to 386.3 (while running YazFi). Both times the router's internet dropped or the router became unresponsive for all devices (wired and wireless). I've done, late yesterday, a factory reset and reconfigured the router from scratch on 386.3. Even blew out my Raspberry Pi Zero running Pi-Hole and Unbound and started from scratch to see if that was the cause (cannot reinstall Unbound on bare headless Pi without it throwing errors during install but that's a separate problem for another day LOL). Never really payed attention to CPU usage prior to this but noticed the regular spikes in CPU usage (approx 4-6 seconds apart) while trying to troubleshoot the two crashes and that lead me to look at disabling the YazFi Monitoring for testing and troubleshooting purposes.

Is it possible to make the toggle setting for refreshing clients stick so that the refresh can be disabled?

Webui would refresh clients any time the YazFi page is loaded and then periodic client refresh would only occur if the toggle is active?
yes, but it would result in the aforementioned syslog spam while the page is open. if that's acceptable, I can re-write things

webui startup code unchanged - works here on 86u and 68u. check syslog

Thanks for your reply, appreciated.

The GUI is there on a fresh install of YazFi, but goes away on reboot.
Syslog ‘appears’ ok, advises YazFi completed successfully.

In AMTM under YazFi I see this…

WebUI for YazFi is available at:
WebUI page not found

As best as I can tell, YazFi is working though.

yes, but it would result in the aforementioned syslog spam while the page is open. if that's acceptable, I can re-write things
Lots of users of your script with different use cases, but I'll provide my input and defer to you on design direction.

Given the CPU loading that's currently exhibited with YazFi Monitor constantly refreshing clients, if given the option, I would likely leave the client refresh in the GUI set to off the majority of the time. When the GUI page is loaded, it would do a 1-time refresh of the client list and that would be sufficient for my needs most of the time. In the rare instances where I wanted to specifically monitor client connections, I would enable client refresh for a limited window. Syslog spam during that limited window would be inconsequential for my purposes.

Thanks for your reply, appreciated.

The GUI is there on a fresh install of YazFi, but goes away on reboot.
Syslog ‘appears’ ok, advises YazFi completed successfully.

In AMTM under YazFi I see this…

WebUI for YazFi is available at:
WebUI page not found

As best as I can tell, YazFi is working though.
please share a copy of syslog

Did some quick testing (just two rounds of speedtests with YazFi Monitor Enabled and Disabled) and I'm seeing ~8-10% reduction in throughput when YazFi Monitor is enabled when downloading through VPN (which is how my IoT and Guest Networks are configured).

I am gettting ready to upgrade to newest Merlin FW and latest YazFi, would like to ask for advice on how to best get my guest networks on VPN clients to use the (NextDNS) DNS-Over-TLS servers in my WAN list.

1) Is it recommended to not use VPN DNS?
2) What is the best way to achieve this given new DNS features in YazFi?
FW and YazFi upgraded to latest, got the DNS functioning as as I need it, works nice - thank you!

When:

WAN
DNS-over-TLS Profile = Strict

VPN Client
Accept DNS Configuration = Disabled

YazFi
Force DNS = No

Guest network will use WAN DNS.

When:

WAN
DNS-over-TLS Profile = Strict

VPN Client
Accept DNS Configuration = Exclusive

YazFi
Force DNS = Yes

Guest network will use VPN DNS.

@bennor and @abracadabra11 please switch to develop branch using
Code:
/jffs/scripts/YazFi develop
and let me know how you get on. all seems ok with a quick test on my 86U and 68U
Here's the behavior I'm seeing:
1. CPU utilization appears generally normal in the develop branch - definitely no spiking occurring every 5 seconds in excess of 15% on Cores 1 and 2. Generally stays below 10% on both.
2. Navigating to the YazFi GUI starts the spiking that was exhibited in 4.3.1. Cores 1 and 2 generally spike to around 40% each when on the page. System log shows recurring YazFiconnected clients service start and end every 5 seconds.
Code:
Jul 28 12:56:21 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start YazFiconnectedclients)
Jul 28 12:56:21 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event-end (args: start YazFiconnectedclients)
3. Deselecting 'Update Automatically' under Connected Guests menu eliminates the spiking and stops the recurring YazFiconnected clients service.
4. Saving the YazFi GUI page after deselecting 'Update Automatically' does not maintain the deselection. Instead, the page reloads and and 'Update Automatically' is automatically reselected (with associated CPU and System Log behavior)
5. Navigating away from the YazFi GUI page (regardless of 'Update Automatically' selection) keeps CPU utilization low and does not restart the YazFiconnected clients service.

Overall, the functionality looks pretty good. This is on an RT-AX3000 (RT-AX58U).

@bennor and @abracadabra11 please switch to develop branch using
Code:
/jffs/scripts/YazFi develop
and let me know how you get on. all seems ok with a quick test on my 86U and 68U
Ran in the develop version and all seems fine in a brief look at the CPU. Will monitor. No more regular 50% plus spikes of CPU usage.

YazFiDevelopCPU.jpg

Still a bit strange with the "unknown" showing up in the client list for 8 of the 10 active 2.4Ghz clients. All YazFi guest clients are assigned IP addresses and names via dnsmasq.postconf. Picks up the name for for two of them the but not others. The unknowns are a mix of Feit smart bulbs and generic band smart plugs. Will see if cycling power to them (at some point) changes anything in the connected guest table.

YazFiClientNameUnknown.jpg

Edit: Can confirm the sys log being filled with:
Code:
Jul 28 16:08:20 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start YazFiconnectedclients)
Jul 28 16:08:28 rc_service: httpd 25424:notify_rc start_YazFiconnectedclients
Jul 28 16:08:28 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start YazFiconnectedclients)
Jul 28 16:08:36 rc_service: httpd 25424:notify_rc start_YazFiconnectedclients
Jul 28 16:08:36 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start YazFiconnectedclients)
Jul 28 16:08:44 rc_service: httpd 25424:notify_rc start_YazFiconnectedclients
Jul 28 16:08:44 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start YazFiconnectedclients)
Jul 28 16:08:52 rc_service: httpd 25424:notify_rc start_YazFiconnectedclients
Jul 28 16:08:52 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start YazFiconnectedclients)
Jul 28 16:09:00 rc_service: httpd 25424:notify_rc start_YazFiconnectedclients
Jul 28 16:09:00 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start YazFiconnectedclients)
Jul 28 16:09:07 rc_service: httpd 25424:notify_rc start_YazFiconnectedclients
Jul 28 16:09:07 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start YazFiconnectedclients)

Last edited:
Here's the behavior I'm seeing:
1. CPU utilization appears generally normal in the develop branch - definitely no spiking occurring every 5 seconds in excess of 15% on Cores 1 and 2. Generally stays below 10% on both.
2. Navigating to the YazFi GUI starts the spiking that was exhibited in 4.3.1. Cores 1 and 2 generally spike to around 40% each when on the page. System log shows recurring YazFiconnected clients service start and end every 5 seconds.
Code:
Jul 28 12:56:21 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start YazFiconnectedclients)
Jul 28 12:56:21 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event-end (args: start YazFiconnectedclients)
3. Deselecting 'Update Automatically' under Connected Guests menu eliminates the spiking and stops the recurring YazFiconnected clients service.
4. Saving the YazFi GUI page after deselecting 'Update Automatically' does not maintain the deselection. Instead, the page reloads and and 'Update Automatically' is automatically reselected (with associated CPU and System Log behavior)
5. Navigating away from the YazFi GUI page (regardless of 'Update Automatically' selection) keeps CPU utilization low and does not restart the YazFiconnected clients service.

Overall, the functionality looks pretty good. This is on an RT-AX3000 (RT-AX58U).
its worth mentioning despite the CPU usage, the process priority is bumped to 15 niceness so when your VPN demands go up, it should push the YazFi process to the back of the queue

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!