What's new

Yet another post about ECC Memory...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jim_Lafleur

Occasional Visitor
I mean even Synology, a well reputable manufacturer, don't use ECC memory in their "Small and medium business" line... https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/ If you look at the specs, they only do use ECC in their "Large Scale Business" line. So what? Small and medium businesses don't care about their data? Or is it that Synology considers that correctable memory errors don't happen to/affect small/medium businesses?

According to the following study, "About a third of machines and over 8% of DIMMs in our fleet saw at least one correctable error per year."

http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~bianca/papers/sigmetrics09.pdf (Conclusion 1)

ECC memory would definitely be beneficial to NAS devices, and I don't even think they would have a huge impact on price (though definitely some impact). I've seen occasional corrupted files in backups on my Synology which I would guess would have been avoided with ECC memory.

In theory, ECC memory is a good idea however in SOHO NAS it is not always possible as the CPU (Memory controller) has to support ECC. I just checked Intel and the Atom / Celeron chips do not, you will need a Core i3 or higher for ECC.

ECC memory would definitely be beneficial to NAS devices, and I don't even think they would have a huge impact on price (though definitely some impact). I've seen occasional corrupted files in backups on my Synology which I would guess would have been avoided with ECC memory.

If you understand how ECC algorithm works it is not 100% error proof. even bit failure in a word won't be caught and
corrected for example. It is better but not perfect.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!