What's new

Yet another 'which router' question, Details inside

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Resurrecting the thread.

Thank you everyone, for the comments/suggestion. Since Acer was recommended often, I got T-mobile branded AC-1900 router (refurbished).

From what I read, it is rebranded AC-68U. I am not too sure if its same as AC-1900P recommended here from BestBuy. The router is in shipment. Should get it in 2 days. I plan to flash it with Asus stock or Merlins whichever works best.

Any precaution I should take before flashing? I will backup TMo firmware just in case I have to return it within the return period.
The non 'P' model AC1900 has a 1 Ghz CPU whereas the Best Buy AC1900P has a 1.4 Ghz CPU. I don't think there are any other major differences in the two models.

• Myself, I think I'd run it the way it comes for a week before flashing.
    • I'm lazy, it it ain't broke I don't bother fixing it. If things are running well I skip "code fixes". If I don't need a new feature I pass. Security fixes are different.
    • I try to stay trailing edge. I wait for the feedback from the smart guys. I pass on new builds and wait for the follow up fixes.
  • I'm not familiar with the T-mobile tweaks but I'd be surprised if it was any different than the usual Flash and Restore Factory.
What I'm really looking forward to hearing about is how you and your brother-in-law set up your genuine make believe DVR system : -)
Thank you. Makes sense.

Regarding the disc attaching, I don't think its a DVR. If I understand correctly, DVR is to record the TV shows. None of us have cable (again to keep the kids away from the TV), but we buy movie discs and he rips them. He puts those files on the HDD. I will definitely update what he does once he sets up the thing.

None of us have cable (again to keep the kids away from the TV), but we buy movie discs and he rips them
I'd like to be able to do that too : -)

I didn't mean cable and dvr per se. I've been wanting to stream shows from the Internet and save them to my "disk" for viewing later. "thiggins" had me try "play on tv" and it's pretty close to doing exactly what I want. It's even got parental controls.

The TM I had the processor was 800.
And the multi step process to turn it back into an Asus was time consuming and subject to bricking the router.
I was able to convert mine back but it took the better part of two days.
But it worked fine.
I sold it when I got a 1900P with faster CPU at BB during black friday week.

Joe