What's new

Yet another 'which router' question, Details inside

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DocHudson

New Around Here
Hello folks,

I am in the market for a new/refurbished router. I do not need the latest tech but something that works with my older devices.

For e.g. My laptops are 7-8 years old, working great, no need to replace them for another 3-4 years unless something goes wrong.
Our phones are Galaxy S4 and HTC One X. The tablets are from Apple Generation 1 era. All tech working good to our needs so there will be no update and even if there is, I do not plan to buy the latest stuff. I will be buying some refurbished 2-3 years old phone/tablet.

The only problem with my router selection is, probably, the number of networks that I get in my apartment and a possibility of conflict or similar (don't know the technical term). Following is the image of networks I get in my apartment.

Networks.png

I have Verizon G1100 gateway but I do not get any signal in the bedroom (and my apartment is really small, just 750 sq ft). I have moved that router to various places but the network remains sketchy.

So I guess, my questions are,
- What router options do I have in this case?
- Do I really need AC2300 and above type of routers? or older like AC1200 or even N900 would do the job?
- In an ideal case, I really do not want to use a repeater.
- Ideally, I do not want to pay more than $70-$80 for the router. As I said earlier, I am fine with the refurbished routers as long as they do the job.

Many thanks for reading thus far. I appreciate all suggestions.

Ouch. But isn't your existing g1100 already dual band? Don't any of your aging devices use 5 GHz? How do they work?

Only Galaxy S4 uses 5 GHz band, rest all are using 2.4GHz only.

Honestly, its not the dual band that I am worried about, its about the crowding of networks in the apartment and therefore the conflict between them, if any. Super tired of DW complaining about not getting a network in the bedroom (I do not use any devices in the bedroom but she reads before going to bed.)

Totally agree. Was just poking at what you were hoping to accomplish by replacing an AC router with another AC router? 2.4 is still 2.4 and congested is still congested. I assume you are "fios-dh8zj" and you are in heavy competition with "bergtania" for channel 1 but I don't see a better channel to move to?

What device is "DW" using in the bedroom? If it's a laptop you might consider buying a 5 GHz dongle for it?

Other than what you mentioned regards to congestion, I was hoping to get my own router and return FiOS equipment to reduce $10 on my monthly bill. I only have internet from FiOS.
Secondly, I do plan to have shared storage so that the kids can watch movies from HDD without any adult's intervention. A minor point for most of the families but not for us as the kids are not allowed to touch any HDDs.

She usually uses her phone or Nook HD tablet.

Edit: Just curious, if this product is a better deal, https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgea...ith-dst-adapter-black/5714277.p?skuId=5714277 Comes with a DST adapter, kind of repeater if I understood correctly. Although I don't want to use it, seems like I really don't have many options left.

Last edited:
Aha ... and there's the rest of the story. So if WiFi gets better with the new router then that's great but, if not, it won't break your heart.

OK, my bias is Asus largely because of the built-in traffic monitor that can be useful for trouble shooting problems. Best Buy had holiday sales on the 1750 ($80) and the 1900 ($100) but their current price is over your target. They both support "file shares".

I have an N900. I like it but I wouldn't buy one today because everything new is AC.

I do plan to have shared storage so that the kids can watch movies from HDD without any adult's intervention
That sounds interesting. How do you do that? I've got the file share. How do I put movies on it and how do you view them from a TV?

That sounds interesting. How do you do that? I've got the file share. How do I put movies on it and how do you view them from a TV?
Oh man, you are asking a question that is beyond my ability to answer. My BIL did that at his home so I am going to tell him to do that in my household too. From what I have seen at his place, he has a 4TB HDD connected to the router and some app installed on Roku. The kids watch it through that app on Roku.

Edit: You mean this one, right? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-wireless-ac-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/5090912.p?skuId=5090912 Not too off. I can live with $90. Is this same as www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2AZLD2 ?
Thanks

The one I was talking about was the Asus RT-AC1750 B1 (which was on holiday special for $80). You're looking at its predecessor, pre-B1, which is on clearance. I have no idea if the difference is significant or moot but, hey, you were considering N900 so how bad could it be : -)

The one on your Amazon link was a Netgear. I like Asus but Netgear has also earned a large and loyal following.

Pay attention to your brother-in-law (what does he have, maybe that's the router you want?), I'd really love to learn more from the two of you!

Last edited:
Thank you. That guy is an IT guy and always buys fancy stuff. His current router costs around $400. I can no way match his choices (hence not asking him for the router advice). I will search a bit more. I am also going through older threads to see if I find something useful.
Thanks for all help.

Apologies for that incorrect Netgear link.

Note that most of those RSSI are rather weak, and will pose next to no interference however. I wouldn't worry about anything that's below -80.

Special deals come and go. The Asus you're looking at now went on clearance back in Nov. By the time I went to buy it was marked back up. Then the 1750 B1 went on sale and I missed it. When the 1900P went on sale I grabbed it. Now the original 1750 is back on clearance. You can either jump on it or ... hope ...

Sometimes they'll offer 10% trade-in if you or your brother-in-law have some old relic to turn in.

Tell your brother-in-law Asus supports Samba share 3.6 and ask him if any of his magic will work with that?

You might also look into BB's recycle discount offer where you bring in a router and get a 15% discount on your new purchase. I haven't read the boilerplate plate details but the offer seems pretty straightforward. This might be a regional offer, you'll need to check the BB site.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/recycl.../pcmcat1497300657381.c?id=pcmcat1497300657381
Excellent tip.

When the RT-AC1900P was on sale in November for $99.99, I recycled an old Netgear N300 that was gathering dust. The process was super easy. I took new router and the old router to the Best Buy service desk. They applied the discount. Walked out with new router for $90.

Oh man, you are asking a question that is beyond my ability to answer. My BIL did that at his home so I am going to tell him to do that in my household too. From what I have seen at his place, he has a 4TB HDD connected to the router and some app installed on Roku. The kids watch it through that app on Roku.

Edit: You mean this one, right? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-wireless-ac-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/5090912.p?skuId=5090912 Not too off. I can live with $90. Is this same as www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2AZLD2 ?
Thanks
Here’s the B1 on Amazon, with a $10 coupon that you can clip. $94.00.

Maybe you’ll have to do tax on that, but for just over $100 it’s a solid router.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N08LPPP/?tag=snbforums-20

Excellent tip.

When the RT-AC1900P was on sale in November for $99.99, I recycled an old Netgear N300 that was gathering dust. The process was super easy. I took new router and the old router to the Best Buy service desk. They applied the discount. Walked out with new router for $90.
Does the router/modem you bring in have to be functional? My previous router was an RT-N66 and it has a broken power button, the device works just fine, I've just had to tape the power button into the on position. It's a common failure on the N66.

Does the router/modem you bring in have to be functional? My previous router was an RT-N66 and it has a broken power button, the device works just fine, I've just had to tape the power button into the on position. It's a common failure on the N66.

When I handed the old modem to the lady at the service desk, she didn’t check it closely. She just made sure it was a modem. It was in a plastic bag, with the power cord. She took it and rang up the new modem.

Resurrecting the thread.

Thank you everyone, for the comments/suggestion. Since Acer was recommended often, I got T-mobile branded AC-1900 router (refurbished).

From what I read, it is rebranded AC-68U. I am not too sure if its same as AC-1900P recommended here from BestBuy. The router is in shipment. Should get it in 2 days. I plan to flash it with Asus stock or Merlins whichever works best.

Any precaution I should take before flashing? I will backup TMo firmware just in case I have to return it within the return period.

Resurrecting the thread.

Thank you everyone, for the comments/suggestion. Since Acer was recommended often, I got T-mobile branded AC-1900 router (refurbished).

From what I read, it is rebranded AC-68U. I am not too sure if its same as AC-1900P recommended here from BestBuy. The router is in shipment. Should get it in 2 days. I plan to flash it with Asus stock or Merlins whichever works best.

Any precaution I should take before flashing? I will backup TMo firmware just in case I have to return it within the return period.

I don’t think that unit is as simple as flashing with a downloaded firmware.

I saw the link below posted somewhere, but not sure if this is still a valid procedure to update that unit to the AC-68U. Maybe one of the pros here can comment if this is correct procedure:

http://www.bayareatechpros.com/ac1900-to-ac68u/

• Myself, I think I'd run it the way it comes for a week before flashing.
    • I'm lazy, it it ain't broke I don't bother fixing it. If things are running well I skip "code fixes". If I don't need a new feature I pass. Security fixes are different.
    • I try to stay trailing edge. I wait for the feedback from the smart guys. I pass on new builds and wait for the follow up fixes.
  • I'm not familiar with the T-mobile tweaks but I'd be surprised if it was any different than the usual Flash and Restore Factory.
My BIL did that at his home so I am going to tell him to do that in my household too. From what I have seen at his place, he has a 4TB HDD connected to the router and some app installed on Roku. The kids watch it through that app on Roku.
What I'm really looking forward to hearing about is how you and your brother-in-law set up your genuine make believe DVR system : -)

Last edited: