What's new

YetAnotherModemMonitor - Arrismon - Monitor Arris SURFboard SB6183 modems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JGrana

Very Senior Member
I have long wanted @Jack Yaz 's modmon to work with my Arris SB6183 modem. After seeing @Wistuplu bravely jump in and add support for his Technicolor modem I decided to see if I could get stats and logs from my SB6183.

After many seds/greps/awks and wondering how to change a javascript file - I have a reasonable working version of modmon/belmon working with an Arris SURFboard SB6183 modem. It might work with later SB versions (i.e. SB6190) - I don't have one to test. More on that later.

I have tried to keep it as close to modmon as possible. It's pretty much 95% @JackYaz and the rest mine (with support of @Wistuplu ! So, any bugs are likely (no, make that surely) mine ;-)

It is correctly showing Downstream and Upstream power levels and Downstream SNR, Frequency, Symbol Rates, Corrected and Uncorrected counts. It also show the various logs from the modem.

Like modmon, arrismon checks the modem every 30 minutes. I know that @Wistuplu increased it to every 15, but as I was implementing I realized it does quite a bit of string manipulations/calculations, etc.

It is still a work in progress. There are a few minor issues:

1) The logs from the modem are not timestamped. Unlike modmon, the Arris modem results don't timestamp each log - they cluster them. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle this...For now, the time on the logs is the time they were read.
2) For some reason, you might see a chart show up as "No Data To Display". Just select another period (i.e. Last 7 Days) on that chart and it will display. I suspect some timing issue in the .js file.
3) Modmon uses the modem presented "Channel ID". Its pretty much 1 to 1, except for what arrismon calls channel 16, the Arris modem calls it Channel ID 26. So, it's shown as Channel 26.
4) The "Corrected" and "Uncorrected" are shown exactly how Arris presents them. Unfortunately, they are rarely/never reset back to 0. At least in the last few days of debugging. For now, I show what Arris sends. I am considering changing this to show the data by measurement period. In other words, internally reset them to 0 after every read. On my todo.
5) With respect to the Modem logs, I decided to make "Error" and "Critical" logs the default to be shown. You can change that to include "Notice" if you want.

This is working with an Arris SB6183 modem. If you have a newer/faster version and want to give it a try - please do - but no promises. Before you try, you might want to go to this web page and see if you get a pretty Arris web status page:

If so, there is a chance. The SB6183 has 16 upstream and 4 downstream channels. The SB6190 has 32 and 8. There is no limit on the number of channels read - but I don't have a sample read from an SB6190 to see how the html code looks.

If you want to try this, here is the information

Requirements
Requires Entware (therefore attached USB)

Supported firmware versions
You must be running firmware Merlin 384.15/384.13_4 or Fork 43E5 (or later) Asuswrt-Merlin

Installation
Using your preferred SSH client/terminal, copy and paste the following command, then press Enter:

Code:
/usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JGrana01/arrismon/master/arrismon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/arrismon" && chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/arrismon && /jffs/scripts/arrismon install

Like many Addons, it will add a new WebUI tab. You can view and changes options there.

For CLI, you can get to the arrismon menu by typing

Code:
arrismon

If that doesn't work, try

Code:
/jffs/scripts/arrismon

As I said, it's the initial release - let me know any issues/bugs and I will do my best.
BTW, I have discussed rolling this into modmon with @Jack Yaz. He is a bit busy right now but will look it over at some point. No promises.

Here are a few sample screen shots:

arrismon1.png

arrismon2.png

I have long wanted @Jack Yaz 's modmon to work with my Arris SB6183 modem. After seeing @Wistuplu bravely jump in and add support for his Technicolor modem I decided to see if I could get stats and logs from my SB6183.

After many seds/greps/awks and wondering how to change a javascript file - I have a reasonable working version of modmon/belmon working with an Arris SURFboard SB6183 modem. It might work with later SB versions (i.e. SB6190) - I don't have one to test. More on that later.

I have tried to keep it as close to modmon as possible. It's pretty much 95% @JackYaz and the rest mine (with support of @Wistuplu ! So, any bugs are likely (no, make that surely) mine ;-)

It is correctly showing Downstream and Upstream power levels and Downstream SNR, Frequency, Symbol Rates, Corrected and Uncorrected counts. It also show the various logs from the modem.

Like modmon, arrismon checks the modem every 30 minutes. I know that @Wistuplu increased it to every 15, but as I was implementing I realized it does quite a bit of string manipulations/calculations, etc.

It is still a work in progress. There are a few minor issues:

1) The logs from the modem are not timestamped. Unlike modmon, the Arris modem results don't timestamp each log - they cluster them. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle this...For now, the time on the logs is the time they were read.
2) For some reason, you might see a chart show up as "No Data To Display". Just select another period (i.e. Last 7 Days) on that chart and it will display. I suspect some timing issue in the .js file.
3) Modmon uses the modem presented "Channel ID". Its pretty much 1 to 1, except for what arrismon calls channel 16, the Arris modem calls it Channel ID 26. So, it's shown as Channel 26.
4) The "Corrected" and "Uncorrected" are shown exactly how Arris presents them. Unfortunately, they are rarely/never reset back to 0. At least in the last few days of debugging. For now, I show what Arris sends. I am considering changing this to show the data by measurement period. In other words, internally reset them to 0 after every read. On my todo.
5) With respect to the Modem logs, I decided to make "Error" and "Critical" logs the default to be shown. You can change that to include "Notice" if you want.

This is working with an Arris SB6183 modem. If you have a newer/faster version and want to give it a try - please do - but no promises. Before you try, you might want to go to this web page and see if you get a pretty Arris web status page:

If so, there is a chance. The SB6183 has 16 upstream and 4 downstream channels. The SB6190 has 32 and 8. There is no limit on the number of channels read - but I don't have a sample read from an SB6190 to see how the html code looks.

If you want to try this, here is the information

Requirements
Requires Entware (therefore attached USB)

Supported firmware versions
You must be running firmware Merlin 384.15/384.13_4 or Fork 43E5 (or later) Asuswrt-Merlin

Installation
Using your preferred SSH client/terminal, copy and paste the following command, then press Enter:

Code:
/usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JGrana01/arrismon/master/arrismon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/arrismon" && chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/arrismon && /jffs/scripts/arrismon install

Like many Addons, it will add a new WebUI tab. You can view and changes options there.

For CLI, you can get to the arrismon menu by typing

Code:
arrismon

If that doesn't work, try

Code:
/jffs/scripts/arrismon

As I said, it's the initial release - let me know any issues/bugs and I will do my best.
BTW, I have discussed rolling this into modmon with @Jack Yaz. He is a bit busy right now but will look it over at some point. No promises.

Here are a few sample screen shots:

View attachment 40608

View attachment 40609
I have an SB8200 (a 32x8) and I would be willing to do some test. Do you know if this will work on the latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware 386.5_2?

Yes, I am running 386_5.2 presently and doing the development on that release.
Give it a go. If it doesn’t work, try the command (not shown in menu) “l”. It should read the results of the curl command into a temp file - /tmp/arrislog. If you could post that to a postbin to me I can take a look. You can try to paste into a PM but it’s fairly large - typically around 18-20KBytes.

I might give it a go as well.

I have an Arris Surfboard SBG6900-AC which is a combo cable modem and wireless router; now running in bridge mode to my ASUS wireless network. (16x2 unit) I used to use the Surfboard as the wireless router as well. And while it is a decent cable modem, it sucked as a wireless router. Dropped all the time. Decided to get an ASUS RT-AC68U for wireless, bridged the Surfboard, installed ASUSWRT-Merlin and never looked back.

I might give it a go as well.

I have an Arris Surfboard SBG6900-AC which is a combo cable modem and wireless router; now running in bridge mode to my ASUS wireless network. (16x2 unit) I used to use the Surfboard as the wireless router as well. And while it is a decent cable modem, it sucked as a wireless router. Dropped all the time. Decided to get an ASUS RT-AC68U for wireless, bridged the Surfboard, installed ASUSWRT-Merlin and never looked back.
This one should be interesting. It appears you would need to login to grab the stats and logs.
From looking at the manual, the stats and logs look pretty close to the SB6183. Not sure about the login part…
Let me know how it goes!

This one should be interesting. It appears you would need to login to grab the stats and logs.
From looking at the manual, the stats and logs look pretty close to the SB6183. Not sure about the login part…
Let me know how it goes!
If you can get to it via a curl POST you'll be well on your way

I installed Arrismon and got no data. Of course, this was expected due to the login requirement. I'm currently trying to work through logging in via a cURL POST. Getting closer to being able to log in - not there yet. (I'm a retired IT Pro, but my work was on other/older platforms). Stay tuned.

Okay, so via Putty/SSH, after logging into my ASUS router, I've gotten the Cable Modem authentication to work via a cURL command:

curl "http://192.168.xxx.xxx/goform/login" -H "Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded" --data "loginUsername=MyUserName&loginPassword=MyPW"

If I then immediately follow this with an arrismon menu call, that then followed by option #1 (Check Stats now), I get new stats posted to the arrismon GUI. So now, I need to play around with authenticating every 30 minutes within arrismon, since 30 minutes is the interval whereby arrismon tries to contact the cable modem to pull in more info. Obviously I get nothing on any of the automated 30 minutes checks, because the cable modem requires login and pw.

This will be "fun" because (#1) I don't know linux and (#2) I've never played around with scripts. But hey, it'll keep me off the streets. (grin) I'm thinking I should store the login and pw in a file someplace and then get that and use it every 30 minutes (within the Check Stats processing).

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!