What's new

Your ISP's DHCP does not function correctly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

any1 know what to do with this?
May 5 13:04:59 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
May 5 13:04:59 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
May 5 13:05:04 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
May 5 13:05:04 rc_service: wanduck 160:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
May 5 13:05:05 dnsmasq[178]: warning: no upstream servers configured
May 5 13:05:05 RT-AC1200G+: start httpd:80
May 5 13:05:05 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
May 5 13:05:06 AAE: AAE Service is started
May 5 13:05:06 disk monitor: be idle
May 5 13:05:06 syslog: Generating SSL certificate...
May 5 13:05:06 hour monitor: daemon is starting
May 5 13:05:06 hour monitor: daemon terminates
May 5 13:05:06 jffs2: valid logs(1)
May 5 13:05:06 miniupnpd[221]: version 1.9 started
May 5 13:05:06 miniupnpd[221]: HTTP listening on port 59285
May 5 13:05:06 miniupnpd[221]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
May 5 13:05:07 syslog: module ax88179_178a not found in modules.dep
May 5 13:05:08 Mastiff: init
May 5 13:05:08 syslog: module ledtrig-usbdev not found in modules.dep
May 5 13:05:08 syslog: module leds-usb not found in modules.dep
May 5 13:05:09 kernel: SCSI subsystem initialized
May 5 13:05:11 kernel: Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt
May 5 13:05:14 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
May 5 14:06:06 rc_service: httpd 184:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
May 5 14:06:06 kernel: Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt

Your modem is either rebooting or resetting itself. Check your modem, or have your ISP check your line.

How do i know if the modem is resetting or nt? Sorry , very noob on this ,

You'd have to look at its LED during an incident, or ask your ISP to look for you. The log entries you posted show that the Ethernet connection was lost between the router and the modem, so it's not a router issue.

You'd have to look at its LED during an incident, or ask your ISP to look for you. The log entries you posted show that the Ethernet connection was lost between the router and the modem, so it's not a router issue.

Ok , Ive checked the modem and none of the LED are flashing , both the power and PON are fine , then when i plugged in the ethernet cable from the modem to the router there will be this ,
42 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
May 5 15:26:52 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
May 5 15:26:52 rc_service: wanduck 160:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
May 5 15:26:52 kernel: Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt
May 5 15:26:57 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly. , popping up , so does this mean i have to call my ISP?

Ok , Ive checked the modem and none of the LED are flashing , both the power and PON are fine , then when i plugged in the ethernet cable from the modem to the router there will be this ,
42 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
May 5 15:26:52 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
May 5 15:26:52 rc_service: wanduck 160:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
May 5 15:26:52 kernel: Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt
May 5 15:26:57 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly. , popping up , so does this mean i have to call my ISP?

If you just unplugged then plugged it back, then it's normal that the router reports that it had been unplugged/replugged...

Same exact issue with RT-AC88U router and charter cable with a DPC3216 modem. Everything will work fine for a couple of hours and then internet drops with message "your isp's dhcp does not function properly."

This started after upgrade to firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.32799 but I have not been able to fix it. I downgraded to the firmware I was using (Version 3.0.0.4.384.32738). Then did a factory restore. I still have the intermittent drops.

Now trying

No mac Clone
DHCP query frequency" -> "Normal
Extend the TTL value -> Yes
Spoof LAN TTL value-> "Yes

Anyone have any idea why this happens or any other things to try?

Thanks

May 5 15:26:57 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

Hi Aaron,

If you're in HK, with PCCW Netvigator, I found that both the RT-AC 68U and RT-AC86U with 384.7 both result in this issue.

I am using Merlin 384.5 and it's fine.

Oddly both the latest ASUS Stock Firmware 3.0.0.4.384.32799 on both the RT-AC 68U and RT-AC86U as well as Merlin's latest firmware (even 384.8 beta) show NOT connected but the Internet is connected. Occasionally they drop out. When I complained to PCCW they sent a techie and the line is fine; but they made it clear they do not support NON-PCCW Routers (even though they do have ASUS Routers) so I guess they use custom or older firmware.

This was my thread on the issue ... https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...onstantly-dropping-internet-connection.49679/

and someone else:https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-7-is-now-available.49194/page-23#post-441963

Lots of similarities. I tried many things (settings and cable swaps and turning off the Huawei HG8040H GPON Modem waiting for the ISP) on both Routers with ASUS and Merlin FW and then finally gave up.

k.

Last edited:
Hi Aaron,

If you're in HK, with PCCW Netvigator, I found that both the RT-AC 68U and RT-AC86U with 384.7 both result in this issue.

I am using Merlin 384.5 and it's fine.

Oddly both the latest ASUS Stock Firmware 3.0.0.4.384.32799 on both the RT-AC 68U and RT-AC86U as well as Merlin's latest firmware (even 384.8 beta) show NOT connected but the Internet is connected. Occasionally they drop out. When I complained to PCCW they sent a techie and the line is fine; but they made it clear they do not support NON-PCCW Routers (even though they do have ASUS Routers) so I guess they use custom or older firmware.

This was my thread on the issue ... https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...onstantly-dropping-internet-connection.49679/

and someone else:https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-7-is-now-available.49194/page-23#post-441963

Lots of similarities. I tried many things (settings and cable swaps and turning off the Huawei HG8040H GPON Modem waiting for the ISP) on both Routers with ASUS and Merlin FW and then finally gave up.

k.
I was having similar issues with Comcast on latest merlin FW. I finally did a complete reset 'initialize' on the router and called Comcast to reprovision the modem and no issues since then....keeping an eye on this in case it comes back.

Last edited:
After messing with my ASUS RT-AC66U settings for about 3 days of not having Comcast internet access I finally found the solution that worked for me. I have a Motorola SB6121 modem and noticed that it only will accept one MAC address connected to it. So with a desktop PC connected directly to the modem I found the "Known CPE MAC Address (Max 1)" and typed that address into the MAC Address field in the ASUS WAN config. After hitting Apply the router rebooted and I finally have Wifi internet working again!

Note that the Modem said it was "Modem's IP Mode IPv6 Only" and I couldn't change that. So on the ASUS I had IPv6 enabled as Passthrough and in Router mode.

I have an Asus RT-AC66u that shows this message any time my ISP (Charter in Georgia) drops the connection, which has now become every few days. My only recourse is to power cycle the cable modem. I've had Charter out to check the line and modem and they say everything checks out.

In researching this, I've come to find out this seems to be an Asus thing. I use the Merlin firmware, and this has happened with multiple versions. It also happens with the Asus firmware. I've seen some suggest that changing the DHCP query frequency from aggressive to normal fixed the issue for them, but mine was already set on normal. My parents have an RT-AC68u, also on Charter (but in a different state) and they have no issues whatsoever. For that matter, mine used to work. But then this started happening suddenly and it's never worked normally again.

Is there anything else I can check or do? I hate to buy another router, but having my Internet routinely go out on my security cameras isn't an option. Regarding new routers, are there ones I should look into? Is this really mostly just an Asus issue? I don't want to spend $200+ only to have the same thing occur.

Thanks

Of note, my modem lights have always stayed solid when I’ve encountered this issue. Looks like solid connection. Only way to fix is call and have them send a reset signal.

I recently started getting these on my ac5300.
Power cycling my modem wouldn’t fix it—actually had to call & have the isp reset my modem. Used to be able to reset using the Xfinity app, but I own all of my equipment & now the reset modem requires you to have Comcast tv boxes bc they use them to sense what’s up.

Having this error is especially annoying bc my 4 Tivo mini’s don’t react well to it.
..basically I lose tv service on all but the DVR box’s actual tv. Doesn’t hit me, but it pisses off everyone else that lives here.

Would be nice to see a one click fix on this with a discription of the error I the little help noted. If not possible, then perhaps the default connection settings wouldn’t trigger.

Of note, my sister was getting the same issue at her house... however it was bc she has splittersnhidden in walls & she uses a MOCA comparable amp. All of the downstream levels where perfect so I figured upstrem was good bc it had a solid s/n ratio. Turns out that it wasn reducing upstream channels to turn up the transmit power. I moved some stuff around & eliminate as much loss as possible...after my fix, she got 7db or signal back or (75% of her upstream powe) was lost in the line . Now her upstream power is in the mid 40’s...that starts issues really fast if it goes to the 50db’s. Fixing that stopped the issue & stopped the random outages she was getting

We both have arris sb8200 docsis 3.1 modem.

I fixed this by using these WAN settings:

"DHCP query frequency" -> "Normal"
"Extend the TTL value" -> "Yes"
"Spoof LAN TTL value" -> "Yes"

I just created an account on this forum to thank you. It worked immediately. I'm running 3 T-mobile cell spots configed with aimesh so I really didn't want to fiddle with it.

Thank you!

Thanks for all of the responses on the forum. I was having this issue intermittently with my Asus RT-AC3200 router. Most of the time this would occur after making changes to the router's config. I have spent hours configuring the router and did not want to restore it so I spent quite a bit of time researching and troubleshooting this issue.

The fix that solved the WAN connection issue, "Your ISP's DHCP does not function correctly", was to disabled IPv6 under the advanced settings. I would not make any changes to the router remotely before due to the possibility that it would not come back up with internet connection. I have been able to change configuration on the router several times without any issues connecting to the WAN on restart and have gained the confidence to do it remotely.

upload_2019-6-23_10-16-59.png

Also, the firmware in the picture solved a Wi-Fi connection issue I was having. The Wi-Fi would drop out on all networks and nothing would connect until reboot. This issue was only present a few days between firmware's. Unfortunately, I did not note the previous firmware.

I signed up just to post this. I tried all the solutions in the previous posts to no avail. What worked for me is switching IPv6 to Passthrough and then hitting the MAC clone button under the WAN settings. Extend the TTL = Yes, Spoof LAN TTL =Yes. Reboot and connected.

Last edited:
I signed up just to post this. I tried all the solutions in the previous posts to no avail. What worked for me is switching IPv6 to Passthrough and then hitting the MAC clone button under the WAN settings. Extend the TTL = Yes, Spoof LAN TTL =Yes. Reboot and connected.

I think Dan has a point here...

Per Asus' IPv6 summary (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/113990/):

WAN >Internet Connection> WAN Connection Type set [PPPoE], please select IPv6 Connection type set [Native]

WAN >Internet Connection> WAN Connection Type set [Automatic IP], please select IPv6 Connection type set [Passthrough]

WAN >Internet Connection> WAN Connection Type set [Static IP], please select IPv6 Connection type set [Static IPv6]

I've added this setting, but even changing it to Passthrough did NOT alleviate my issues. I was consistently seeing "notify_rc restart_dnsmasq" in my logs along with the message, making me think about DNS potentially being an issue.

What seemingly has worked for me was disabling "Connect to DNS Server automatically" in WAN-Internet-WAN DNS Setting. By default my network monitoring DNS Query seemingly was failing and causing it to go into a cycle of death.

Seem to be running well now when nothing else here did. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
any1 know what to do with this?
May 5 13:04:59 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
May 5 13:05:04 rc_service: wanduck 160:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
May 5 13:05:05 dnsmasq[178]: warning: no upstream servers configured
May 5 13:05:05 RT-AC1200G+: start httpd:80
May 5 13:05:05 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
May 5 13:05:06 AAE: AAE Service is started
May 5 13:05:06 disk monitor: be idle
May 5 13:05:06 syslog: Generating SSL certificate...
May 5 13:05:06 hour monitor: daemon is starting
May 5 13:05:06 hour monitor: daemon terminates
May 5 13:05:06 jffs2: valid logs(1)
May 5 13:05:06 miniupnpd[221]: version 1.9 started
May 5 13:05:06 miniupnpd[221]: HTTP listening on port 59285
May 5 13:05:06 miniupnpd[221]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
May 5 13:05:07 syslog: module ax88179_178a not found in modules.dep
May 5 13:05:08 Mastiff: init
May 5 13:05:08 syslog: module ledtrig-usbdev not found in modules.dep
May 5 13:05:08 syslog: module leds-usb not found in modules.dep
May 5 13:05:09 kernel: SCSI subsystem initialized
May 5 13:05:11 kernel: Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt
May 5 13:05:14 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
May 5 14:06:06 rc_service: httpd 184:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
May 5 14:06:06 kernel: Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt
I know this is an old post but for the likes of me I cannot fix this problem
It started about 4 weeks ago when my vpn started timing out and the isp DHCP msg was lost in the logs and I thought it was a vpn issue and I worked with my open vpn provider for 2 weeks trying various options,
Then I removed the vpn completely and it is occurred 3 or 4 times a day
I removed diversion and sky net still no luck
I replaced my rt 86u with my Rt 1900P same problem

Reset and started from scratch mupitle times
I called my isp twice and they said signals fine
I replaced modem yesterday and it happen twice today
I was running Merlin 384.12 on both routers
I put my rt 86 back online and am running latest stock firmware
I have tried aggressive vs normal and I am not running ipv6
Searching google I see issues all over but no real resolutions
I would appreciate any ideas that you guys may have
Thanks in advance

I know this is an old post but for the likes of me I cannot fix this problem
It started about 4 weeks ago when my vpn started timing out and the isp DHCP msg was lost in the logs and I thought it was a vpn issue and I worked with my open vpn provider for 2 weeks trying various options,
Then I removed the vpn completely and it is occurred 3 or 4 times a day
I removed diversion and sky net still no luck
I replaced my rt 86u with my Rt 1900P same problem

Reset and started from scratch mupitle times
I called my isp twice and they said signals fine
I replaced modem yesterday and it happen twice today
I was running Merlin 384.12 on both routers
I put my rt 86 back online and am running latest stock firmware
I have tried aggressive vs normal and I am not running ipv6
Searching google I see issues all over but no real resolutions
I would appreciate any ideas that you guys may have
Thanks in advance
I had this issue once along time ago, it turns out it was the modem not getting enough of the upstream with the ISP, I could not get any solution from ISP except that everything looked fine on there end, what resolved it was replacing the modem. Sometimes external factors can effect this, other than needing to replace the modem, make sure you have your ISP send a tech to confirm any underlying issues isn't on their end effecting your signal to them.

Last edited:
I had this issue once along time ago, it turns out it was the modem not getting enough of the upstream with the ISP, I could not get any solution from ISP except that everything looked fine on there end, what resolved it was replacing the modem. Sometimes external factors can effect this, other than needing to replace the modem, make sure you have your ISP send a tech to confirm any underlying issues isn't on their end effecting your signal to them.
Thanks for your response

I had my isp out last Thursday and they measured signals ,etc, I had a 4 way splitter on the cable line for 3 TVs and the internet.
I removed one of the tv cable boxes about when all this started , and the tech claimed this was the issue . He replaced to with a 3 way splitter . He showed me on the 4 way it had -7db for each connection, while the 3 way had a -3 dB for each connection. I an running 5 days now without a drop so looks like my issue is solved
Thank you again for responding and your outlook

Sounds like you got it figured out.

OE

Is not resolved the issue. The issue persist. I only found that the problem is in the device. I haven´t the knowledge to resolve, for that I shared all my test and his result to find help.

Is not resolved the issue. The issue persist. I only found that the problem is in the device. I haven´t the knowledge to resolve, for that I shared all my test and his result to find help.

Have you Googled "Your ISP's DHCP does not function correctly"?

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!