What's new

Zenwifi AC CT8 - Has anyone been able to downgrade the firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WillC

New Around Here
Hi all ,

I got the CT8 Zenwifi Mesh today and it was fantastic , setup easily and finally had fast internet and connectivity through out my house which i have never had before - the node showed strong connection quality using the 2nd 5g dedicated backhaul - basically working perfectly . Then because it is brand new , i broke my cardinal rule , and decided to update the firmware which i would never normally do , but since it was working so great out of the box , I just hit update to firmware 3.0.0.4.386.22245 and its all now gone horribly wrong. The node now can just barely connect where it was fine before , and it is reverting to using the main 2.4g as the backhaul in exactly the same spot as it was working perfecting before the upgrade. I've done a factory reset but it seems to have kept the latest firmware as part of that reset.

I've tried to install 3.0.0.4.386.21291 via the GUI , but although it says ok , the firmware never goes down , so am guessing the GUI is blocking downgrading versions.

I've tried to install it via the Firmware restoration app , however when i connect the router via static ip and lan line directly it says it isn't in recovery mode. According to the manual recovery mode is a flashing light , however if I hold down reset and power on , i get a purple light which according to a quick google seems to be correct at least for the Lyra model and so I am guessing the CT8 .

Any help would be appreciated - I've gone from a seriously happy customer of a great product to wanting to return it all within 8 hours of receiving it :-(

Thanks in advance!!

Hi all ,

I got the CT8 Zenwifi Mesh today and it was fantastic , setup easily and finally had fast internet and connectivity through out my house which i have never had before - the node showed strong connection quality using the 2nd 5g dedicated backhaul - basically working perfectly . Then because it is brand new , i broke my cardinal rule , and decided to update the firmware which i would never normally do , but since it was working so great out of the box , I just hit update to firmware 3.0.0.4.386.22245 and its all now gone horribly wrong. The node now can just barely connect where it was fine before , and it is reverting to using the main 2.4g as the backhaul in exactly the same spot as it was working perfecting before the upgrade. I've done a factory reset but it seems to have kept the latest firmware as part of that reset.

I've tried to install 3.0.0.4.386.21291 via the GUI , but although it says ok , the firmware never goes down , so am guessing the GUI is blocking downgrading versions.

I've tried to install it via the Firmware restoration app , however when i connect the router via static ip and lan line directly it says it isn't in recovery mode. According to the manual recovery mode is a flashing light , however if I hold down reset and power on , i get a purple light which according to a quick google seems to be correct at least for the Lyra model and so I am guessing the CT8 .

Any help would be appreciated - I've gone from a seriously happy customer of a great product to wanting to return it all within 8 hours of receiving it :-(

Thanks in advance!!

Reset each router, flash the latest version, reset again, and configure from scratch. Be sure to understand this FAQ: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

OE

Thank you very much for your reply and link the the FAQ , very useful.

Just a small update - I managed to get the Firmware restoration app working ( i needed to disable all other network connections including one for VMs which was the culprit ) and got the software down graded.

Unfortunately , i have discovered that Asus is now pushing out auto updates , so after finally downgrading and getting it all setup from scratch , 2 hours later and the software got updated without me wanting it - i see there are other threads this new auto updating so won't go there. Seems like the system runs ok for a few hours before suddenly deciding to switch the backhaul down and slow everything down until a restart - who knows why. I'll give it a few more days and hope things improve !

:sigh:

I was happy with my CT8-really happy-for the first month. Then their first pushed firmware update broke all the boutiquey features and I had to reset from factory reset. I get it when you manually upgrade and there's some kind of conflict in your settings, but auto-updates shouldn't be breaking stuff. This smacks of a lack of QA.

I just noticed about an hour ago that some of my features are broken/not displaying. Then I checked the damned firmware signature...updated 10/15.

Any way to block auto-updates? Possibly a port we can block?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!