What's new

ZenWiFi AX XT8 - Have I made a mistake?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mathmos

Occasional Visitor
I have just ordered the XT8 based on the reviews I read. I wanted a mesh wifi but also wanted to separate out the 2.5 and 5 ghz networks which the XT8 allows me to do. However, here I am reading lots of comments from people having problems with this router but they are issues I do not really understand - for example, things to do with backhaul etc.(I know what the backhaul is just not what the issues are)

I am beginning to think this router might be too problematic, is that the case? I would appreciate peoples honest opinions. My current Netgear R7800 behaves flawlessly, never drops connections and I hardly ever touch it, it just doesn't have the coverage I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Last edited:
My opinion? Cancel the order.

Buy an RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, or an RT-AX86U, today. (or pair two AC86U's or either of the AX's together if you need it).

My opinion? Cancel the order.

Buy an RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, or an RT-AX86U, today. (or pair two AC86U's or either of the AX's together if you need it).

Interested to know the reasons why please? Problem with those others is the looks. My wife isn't going to have one of those in the hall where the satellite needs to be! :-(

Looks? Not a valid method to choose network gear. :)

Reasons? Performance, security, and reliability. What other reasons could there be for Wi-Fi? :)

Looks? Not a valid method to choose network gear. :)

Reasons? Performance, security, and reliability. What other reasons could there be for Wi-Fi? :)

Thanks. All very confusing when all the reviews I read raved about it.

What reviews?

What reviews?

are some of the ones I read.

WAF can be a very strong influence on Wi-Fi product selection. We feel your pain. :)

Backhaul is the wireless connection between mesh nodes. If the backhaul connection is not good, then a mesh node won't have bandwidth to pass on to the client. Look at the "Closing Thoughts" section of this article.

Im on my second pair of XT8 due to the first pair was laggy as hell and dropped connection. Thinking of returning these back also. They have been more stable than the first pair but still drops the wifi backhaul from time to time. My advise, cancel the order.

@mathmos thanks for those links. None of those reviews would have convinced me to buy.

If it's about networking equipment and it's not written by our own Tim Higgins (or one of his associates), I don't waste time reading about it.

Buy to 'try'? Yes. But with a healthy dose of skepticism and more importantly, objectivity vs. what is currently the top 'consumer' contenders I've already mentioned along with RMerlin firmware, amtm, and script support, of course.

With regards to the 'looks', a little bit of creativity can go a long way to making one of these 'disappear' even in plain sight. ;)

I have just ordered the XT8 based on the reviews I read. I wanted a mesh wifi but also wanted to separate out the 2.5 and 5 ghz networks which the XT8 allows me to do. However, here I am reading lots of comments from people having problems with this router but they are issues I do not really understand - for example, things to do with backhaul etc.(I know what the backhaul is just not what the issues are)

I am beginning to think this router might be too problematic, is that the case? I would appreciate peoples honest opinions. My current Netgear R7800 behaves flawlessly, never drops connections and I hardly ever touch it, it just doesn't have the coverage I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Unlike most on here offering opinions on your purchase I actually own a XT8 system.
Its been a work in progress but right now with some firmware updates it works quite well without a lot of issues that I have to babysit and watch everyday. I run a Wi-Fi backhaul with one node and works as advertised. 2 stories, 2400 sq. ft., 45 devices not a probleml

My opinion is the XT8 is far better than anything else out there for the price. Try it out,
you can always return it if if doesn’t work out.

Hi,

I have a XT8 mesh system and after cople of sheaty months it's almost OK. I just had to reboot one manually one node in 2 month but it's still pretty anoying to have this kind of problems.

I have been abused too with all those reviews, The main problem is the stability and firmware issues but I don't know if it's better on other brands (I had an apple router with a CPL wifi extender and never had any issue in years but since I tried to upgrade to a WIFI AX mesh system, I burnt my money on asus products and I'm pretty disapointed). For me this is the last Asus product.

Good luck and keep us informed :)

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions. I guess at the end of the day all I can do is try out in my environment and see how I get on. Because of Christmas I have a generous return window so that will help.

I'll report back as to how I get on.

Thanks again.

Router got delivered this afternoon, earlier than expected but I'm not complaining.

Up and running with good connection to the satellite. Everything ok so far but then its only been about 4 hrs!

Are you wireless backhaul or wired....? I just ordered this same set a few days ago....Im a little nervous hoping it works as reliably as my old AC68U ......I have had a plug in Wireless Extender downstairs and to be quite honest the system works pretty darn good for a 4200 sq ft 3 level home.......my delve into the Mesh Systems began with figuring I could use the old AC68U as a node.and replace it with a new Router...then I researched further and things have morphed......
Like yourself every single review I read really amped this mesh set up......although there are many here that seem to be Network Guru's....I am not (although I build Water Cooled Gaming Rigs), spending hours in a Router GUI bores the hell out of me ;)

Are you wireless backhaul or wired....?

I'm wireless backhaul and so far so good though it has only been just under 24hrs. The connection status for the backhaul is showing 'Great'.

Everything is pretty much as it came out of the box, I'm no expert so my tinkering is pretty much limited to configuring 2.5 and 5 to separate SSIDs. Changing the DHCP range and assigning static IP addresses to certain devices.

The only 'funny' if you could call it that was upgrading the firmware. I was using the app for that and 1st try it came back immediately saying it failed. 2nd try it seemed to complete, reaching 100% but then said it failed but the 3rd try completed successfully and both nodes are reporting the latest firmware.

First thing first
  1. XT8 will not get as great support as RT-AX86U or RT-AX88U
  2. I am using RT-AX88U for 1 and 1/2 years and even this thing has been a buggy mess as of today. Third class reliability all round.
  3. Asus makes excellent hardware. But when it comes to software, these routers bounce hard and fall into cow dung
  4. You can still buy Zen XT8, but you will forever continue to be a beta tester and keep fingers crossed hoping that everyday on waking things work as they should.
  5. Simple things like PPPOe, DDNS and more complex things like Dual WAN are unreliable at best.

^^^^^ Yeah once I find a Firmware that works ok (and I dont check every single "Router Geek setting"), I dont touch the FW after that.....I have been running 5 yr old Merlin FW on my AC68U and it has been solid.

Provided Im getting decent WiFi coverage in my home.....Smart TV's are streaming ok....no frequent Inernet dropping.....I'm happy..also Im not one to spend hrs going to every location in my house repeatedly running Ookla on every single device!
Perhaps some have have a little OCD when it comes to there Home Networks ;)

Five years old firmware? Why?

^^^ Its working great....low on my priority list ;) Is there some great reason Im missing to feverishly update my FW every release....same as some folks fixated with updating there Mobo BIOS every release.....unless I have "issues", cant be bothered, particularly if I have a great OC.
Funny though, as now I want to try out my AC68U in a Mesh set-up...so researching what FW version I have to start the upgrade process from ......think I may have to go back awhile and perhaps 2 or 3 updates, not really sure.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!