What's new

ZenWifi XD4 Don't Work Don't Buy!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AnnieBody

Regular Contributor
Hi all.
Last year I purchased an ASUS RT-AX58U router with the intention of using this with XD4 nodes for whole house WiFi.
Because of delays in rolling out XD4 (ASUS blame Covid) I have only just been able to get my hands on the XD4 devices.
DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!
The first set of three I purchased had one router and two wireless repeater nodes.
I first set these up a stand-alone wireless system in accordance with the ASUS website instructions to see what I needed to so to use Aimesh.
This worked fine. Easy to use and setup. If you want to replace all your equipment then I would recommended this system, but ONLY if you don't have more than one ethernet device.

I then tried to setup the router as an AP to work as a backhaul connection with my existing router.
You can, but the gui doesn't allow you to change the IP address in this mode from 192.168.50.1 so it will not work with my existing network using 192.168.1.nnn.
To get over this you have to configure it as a router, change the IP address then change the IP address.
It now works with my existing router, sort of!

When trying to add the two wireless nodes I get all sorts of problems:
1. After each attempt the node would show green in the AiMesh list then disconnected.
2. The first one only got a wireless connection after five attempts and even then advised the signal was weak even though WiFi Analyser app had it 10dbm greater than my router.
3. Some repeated attempts dropped out the XD4 AP connection. Frustratingly, this has to be setup from scratch each time.
[I don't know why as according to ASUS published data the wireless node should be linking to my RT-AX58U router]
4. Under no circumstance was I able to add the second wireless node. Again with the AP connection regularly dropping out.
5. The RT-AX58U AiMesh gui does not list any of the devices in the Clients List. The XD4 does. I have no idea why?
6. ASUS provide reasons for the failure but they don't make any sense!
For instance if the device was not powered up then how does the gui first find it, then initially connect to it?

Even though they still worked as a stand-alone system ASUS technical support advised returning the devices as 'possibly faulty'.

On my second attempt I decided to purchase three routers as single devices in the hope that the router worked and the repeater node had the problems.
I have exactly the same issue.
Each one can be setup as an AP backhaul.
This time whatever node I configure as AP I cannot get one of the other devices to connect to AiMesh as a wireless device.
ASUS support have again advised returning them as 'possibly faulty', and have subsequently refused to acknowledge any further replies and questions from me.
It should also be noted that despite getting an email response in my email, you have to reply to then using the website login, which you can never do as the 'send' button does nothing!

I have since discovered that using reset on the node doesn't always work!
Resetting a node will result in either a flashing blue or continuous blue light depending upon how many times you want to press reset.
You also have to press reset at the right time or it will be ignored!
I have also discovered that trying factory reset from the gui will not work as whatever node I connect using the default address 192.1.68.50.1 the ASUS popup now advises the node is in AP mode when it clearly is not.
I use default address loosely as the ASUS Device Discovery doesn't always find the nodes and if it does advises tou cannot configure it as it is on a different subnet to my PC. It's not!
It appears that ASUS cannot determine the device's correct configuration.

I have greatly shortened the many hours of trying different things attempting to get a working system.
It appears to me that by getting a stand alone XD4 system working ASUS have failed to correctly apply the same principles to using these nodes with another of their routers listed as AiMesh compatible.
It is also clear that ASUS have no interest in getting the wireless devices working individually nor as an AiMesh system.
I have purchased an ASUS router with the intention of having whole house WiFi which I cannot have.
I have no doubts that ASUS will in time have to come up with a working solution, after all, their adverts are making statements they cannot meet; however, I have zero confidence this will actually happen and when.

My advice is not to make the same mistake as me.
Be patient and if you really want whole house WiFi with an AiMesh compiable router steer well clear of ZenWifi XD4!

I found over 27 obvious software flaws, some minor which have escaped logical testing and some because they can never have been tested with the RT-AX58U router and XD4 devices.
The worst one is that when using the RT-AX58U AiMesh to connect to a XD4 node as a wireless repeater, the screen reports success, but the devices drop their WiFi after a few seconds.
As they no longer have WiFi they will never be able to connect to other AiMesh devices.
If you reset them you get a flashing blue mode which indicates they are attempting to join to AiMesh, but with NO WiFi signal will never be able to!
If you then connect them to your network you cannot access the gui as they are now configured as wireless devices with no wired capability!
So you have no factory reset option.
Tried this twice and both are now BRICKED!
ASUS are, as usual, not responding.

I have found a way of factory resetting without the gui.
What a pity Asus wouldn't direct me or offer any assistance.

In accordance with ASUS policy, the website at:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078
details an incorrect procedure. Maybe one day ASUS will be able to get something right!

The XD4 does not have a power button as described! Instead I found that the following worked:
1. Power off the repeater.
2. Press and hold the 'WPS' button while powering on.
3. Keep pressing the 'WPS’ button until the led turns off.
4. Turn off the repeater.
5. Wait for thirty seconds
6. Power on the repeater.
7. Wait for it to settle to a continuous blue with a WiFi signal.

NOTE: The repeater has been factory reset to the default IP address 192.168.50.1.

My experience with the XD4 system has been extremely positive, although unlike you I'm running them as a stand alone system (1 router, 2 nodes connected via wired backhaul). The system supports 10 wired devices and almost 40 wireless devices (when the kids are home). All wireless devices seamlessly roam between the nodes as we move through the house. Throughput of my wireless AX devices is strong. I have a PC using an ASUS wireless AX adapter that pushes over 900mbit to a wired pc in the basement. I got the system on sale for 229 and couldn't be happier with it.

As I have stated, the XD4 devices will ONLY work in the configuration you are using.
However, if you review the advertised functionality of AiMesh components advertised on ASUS websites you will see that they make statements regarding the list of devices that are AiMesh compatible. My router being one of them, which is why I purchased it.
Apparently, at the moment, you cannot use any of the devices listed as AiMesh compliant in an AiMesh configuration. It appears that you will not be able to until ASUS are able to write working software.
I would be interested to know how your devices are connected, as one of the problems I found was that the XD4 in stand alone wireless router mode cannot find any wireless devices due to the software not having a client list tab for wireless devices. If I run my RT-AX58U router then I have many wireless devices, if I then swap to the XD4 in wireless router mode it has none. I get the same thing for three separate XD4 routers.
Would you be willing to change your configuration (using the latest firmware) to a stand alone wireless router (with no AiMesh nodes connected) and confirm if you still have your wireless devices connected to it in this configuration?

I can test that configuration for you but it's not something I can do now. I'm an IT professional who works from home so no network changes during business hours. Due to the amount of streaming by the wife and kids I'd need to wait until the house is empty so it may be several days until I can test. I'll post back here when it's done.

I can now confirm that, after a very long wait, the RT-AX58U now works with the XD4 in AiMesh mode!!!
Attached are two files that detail the process followed and some methods provided by ASUS that still don't work.
If you want to, just jump to section 05 that details the working method from the RT-AX58U gui.
Note also the correct XD4 factory reset procedure can be found above.
I used RT-AX58U Firmware 3.0.0.4.386.45674 and XD4 Firmware 3.0.0.4.386.46061 so please make sure you have these (or later versions) installed before you continue.
Note also that I did not need to factory reset the RT-AX58U as ASUS claimed.
Good luck!

Attachments

• AiMesh Following ASUS Instructions.txt
    8.5 KB · Views: 175
Not needing to reset is just for your particular network/device environment, in total. Consider yourself lucky, for now.

Resetting in another environment may be 'required'.

As a follow up, now I have an AiMesh system I have to report just how poor the XD4 nodes are!
Any less than a signal strength of -55db (according to my phone app), which is a very good signal, the router reports a 'poor' signal and won't connect.
You lose all WiFi through the repeaters unless you keep both the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz on at the same time and use the router 'Smart Connect' option. Disable any one of these and you can kiss goodbye to your whole house WiFi.
Also, if they power down in a low (less than -55db) signal area (repeat boosted by a second XD4) they no longer reconnect. You have to move them next to the router, reset them and reassign an AiMesh connection via the router.
This means I am not capable of having WiFi 6 in my four bedroom home unless the extra nodes are within 5 mtrs of each other and no more than one room away from the router, which is NOT what Wifi 6 should be about.
Hardly the whole house WiFi they advertise.
I only found out about these difficulties during a signal strength test trying to determine the best placing for the repeaters.
I rue the day I ever changed to Asus for WiFi 6. Please don't make the same mistake!
I would be interested how these expensive items perform against much cheaper options.

AiMesh is just inferior software developed by ASUS. The entire methodology is flawed.

Check your roaming assistant settings and you might want to disable that. It will force mesh node to disconnect if signal is lower by that threshold.

One more thing, AiMesh will not work reliably if there are other WiFi AP or routers in your network having the same SSID.

I have only Asus AiMesh compatible products in my WiFi system. Using 2.4G and 5G on the same SSID with 'Smart switching' enabled.
1x RTAX85U using AiMesh; 1 XD4 in AP mode with AiMesh in my lounge; 1 x XD4 as AiMesh on my landing as the signal is too weak to repeat in any of my bedrooms!
The landing is adjacent to my study which has the router.
I have purchased three XD4 but I can't use the second node in my conservatory due to the signal being lower that -55db from the AP in the lounge in the next room!
Also, as I have noted the router WiFi signal is much lower than that from the nodes, I am thinking of using it as an AP next to my router. Might as well do something with it as I can't send it back after waiting six months for Asus to provide working software!
As a reference, I also have two legacy pre WiFi 6 repeater nodes from TP-Link which, although only being a fraction of the cost of the XD4, connect the the RTAX-58U router WiFi and work in every room in my house!
If anyone is thinking of using the XD4 as a node I suggest just purchasing one and trying it around your house first. See where it works and more importantly where it doesn't, but should!

Last edited:
As a further update, I again chased Asus support regarding hearing nothing from them about a fix. They gave me a link to a beta version firmware for the XD4 nodes.
This improved the signal level required meaning I could place one in another room. The downside of this firmware is that the nodes regularly drop out and will not reconnect unless you reset them. iT would apper the initla AiMesh conncetion problem was reinstated as I could also not connec t when adjaceb to the router. As this was happening many times a day, the beta firmware was not fit for purpose. Back to the previous version which at least gives me a stable but minimum range WiFi.

I am running an XD4 setup in AP mode behind my Firewalla Gold. I am very satisfied with the wifi range, stability and mesh operation. I am running the latest firmware and only using the router and one node. Maybe Asus made some hardware changes since you purchased yours. I have only had my for a few weeks.

As above, the wired AP mode is not a problem, mine works fine too. If I only use this single node for WiFi then it appears stable even though the router keeps showing it disconnecting then reconnecting to AiMesh. One problem reported to Asus which they are unwilling or unable to resolve.
The node should work as part of an advertised whole house AiMesh WiFi, working with other nodes which it clearly does not do.
One node does not provide a whole house WiFi network, that's what WiFi 6 / AiMesh is all about!

Why pay the high Asus price for a single node with WiFi 6 when you have no other WiFi broadcast devices to connect with? There are much cheaper and better single nodes out there that work in AP mode.

Asus have now confirmed a new firmware release for the router and nodes: 3.0.0.4.386.45674 and 3.0.0.4.386.48790 respectively.
DO NOT update the firmware of the router! This will disable all the nodes and means you have to reset them one by one, as I found out!
Update each node's firmware first, then the router.
The new firmware appears to have resolved the low signal issue and the connections have been stable for a week.
What hasn't been resolved is the fact the router still states you have a node connection when the node led indicates no connection and visa versa.
One of 27 software bugs reported two years ago which still hasn't been resolved.
So don't trust the gui, go by what your WiFi connection is telling you!

Oh dear!
The latest firmware release for the router and nodes: 3.0.0.4.386.49674 and 3.0.0.4.386.49599 respectively has broken AiMesh again.
Asus advise resetting all the equipment then reconfiguring the entire system and "See if that works".
Back to not having a working WiFi 6 network again!

I have one XD4 doing great work pushing AX into the far corner of our house with wireless backhaul to an RT-AX88U, itself using wired backhaul to another AX88U. It seems to do it's job perfectly.

My only comment would be the small box clearly limits the capability of the antenna. Compared to the AX88U its penetration is limited. Seems to work well horizontally but hardly at all vertically. I originally tried it directly below the room I wanted it to reach and it completely failed - <70dbm to clients in that room. Based on this, admittedly limited, anecdotal evidence, I'd say an XD4 mesh might work well in an apartment or bungalow, but not so much in a multistorey house unless you can use wired backhaul.

Agreed, when it works it works well (after 18 months of updates and fixes to get there), except the wired backhaul no longer works in AiMesh mode with the latest firmware update above!
Asus appear to release beta updates which clearly are not tested on working systems that is why they rely on me providing feedback regarding what is working and what is not.
Use router firmware 3.0.0.4.386.45674 and XD4 firmware 3.0.0.4.386.48790 which was working and stable as reported to Asus.
It would appear the person(s) responsible for the product firmware have little to no knowledge of WiFi6 nor their own Aimesh advertised expectations that's why they keep breaking it!

No problems here. Router and nodes continue to function properly in a wired backhaul configuration. Neither of the last two firmware updates have given me problems. Clients continue to seamlessly roam between the nodes as I move around the house.

Sorry some of you are having problems. The XD4 system is the single biggest upgrade to my wireless network since 2003 when I bought my first WRT54G. Feels like mesh technology is progressing quickly. Several of my non technical neighbors have purchased EERO systems off the Best Buy shelf and installed them without my assistance with very good results. I don't mind having to troubleshoot a neighbors wireless network but I haven't had to in quite a while.

Can someone point me whats the correct procedure to hard reset a xd4 node? Not Router.

I go a 3 units pack setup today, all good for 1 hr, then suddenly 1 node flashing blue and lose its aimesh connection maybe after i changed the mu-mimo setting. Then I tried to hard reset the node followinf asus faq. At first the node go to green then solid blue for 20 seconds aftet reset, however it seems reboot itself again then go thru green and then flashing blue. No matter how I reset the node it just the same ans cannot stay at solid blue to more than 20 sec. As such it never rejoin my AiMesh and also cannot be added as a new node.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!