What's new

ZenWifi XD6 - router loses internet connection 1-2 times a day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

neocryte

New Around Here
Hello everyone. I got a new XD6 system with 2 devices. One ("router") is plugged into my Optimum modem/gateway via wire, and the other ("node") is set up wirelessly as an AIMesh node, and actually provides wired connection to my desktop, along with wireless to a slew of devices. The WiFi network works great, devices have strong connectivity, etc. However, I noticed that sometimes the main router will disconnect from the internet. The light goes red on it, and the web router interface shows "Disconnected" for internet. I can either reboot the router, or re-enable DHCP connection via the App... I think that forces the router to re-connect, and it works fine. This happens a couple days per day.

I tried ASUS support, they started me down the path of disabling SmartConnect and separating the 2.4 and 5 Ghz WiFi networks. Which makes no sense... I don't think this has anything to do with the WiFi, but something specifically in the WAN connection at the router-modem point. And I don't want to separate my networks...

I tried changing DHCP query frequency to Normal from Aggressive, but that did not seem to help.

I upgraded firmware to latest while setting up the device out of the box - it's running 3.0.0.4.386_45898

Any thoughts? The main log doesn't seem to provide anything obvious, but I am not really sure what to look for.

Thank you, will review the links and try a hard reset. I got the router 2 days ago though.. so haven't really changed much from the factory settings.

The fact that you updated to a (most likely) vastly updated firmware is the reason for a full factory reset. Not how fresh, out-of-the-box, the routers are.

OK, got it. I updated it while setting up the router for the first time. Will the full factory reset roll back the firmware, or that stays upgraded?

No, a full reset to factory defaults doesn't (can't) roll back the firmware.

What it does is it allows the router to use the installed firmware's current defaults and variables as the current firmware expects them to be. These may (and do) change from firmware-to-firmware versions. As do many underlying defaults the whole router may be based on. (Wireless drivers, or optional switches when the new firmware was built, for example).

Thank you for the explanation. I did a hard reset, and re-setup the network in my house. I will leave everything at current default settings and see if I encounter the internet disconnect issue again.

And if the firmware's 'current default settings' don't work, try the suggested 'best practice defaults' in the links above.

I'm having this same issue with the same units. It's been going on for 6+ months now. Super annoying. I e verified each until is updated. I've also done a factory reset at least 3 times now. And I've swapped out which of the 3 units is the main one, wired directly to the modem. Nothing helps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!