1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ZenWiFi XT8 2.5G WAN

Discussion in 'ASUS AX Routers & Adapters' started by Quan, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Quan

Quan New Around Here

Hello,
    I just bought a ZenWiFi XT8. I have a fiber optic modem/router with a 10G port and four 1G ports. The 2.5G WAN port on the XT8 crashes when I plug in the 10G connection. When I use the 1G connection, the XT8 works fine. Anybody else have this problem? Thank you.

2. Gouldin

Gouldin Regular Contributor

Does the 10gb port on the ISP modem support 2.5gb? (If it's sfp to copper, then is the sfp adaptor capable of 2.5gb. some are locked to 10gb only)
    If not, might need a cheapish 10gb switch that supports 2.5gb to do what you need.

3. Quan

Quan New Around Here

Thanks for the feedback. I used to have a Netgear Orbi and the 10G connection worked fine in the Orbi 1G WAN port.

4. Gouldin

Gouldin Regular Contributor

Ok, does the modem support the 2.5gb though? / what model modem is it, should be able to check the specs very easily to find out if it's the modem causing the lockups or just asus being kinda rubbish as usual :)

5. mlai

mlai Regular Contributor

10G ports and multi-gig (2.5/5/10) ports are two different things. A 10G does not necessarily support 2.5/5G but it is backwards compatible with 1G port. That's why plugging a 10G port into a 1G port will most likely work, but not a 2.5/5 multi-gig port

6. Quan

Quan New Around Here

I just heard back from ASUS technical support. Unfortunately, the 2.5G WAN port on the XT8 cannot handle an incoming 10G Internet connection. Can anybody recommend a 10G (ethernet) to 2.5G switch? Thank you.