What's new

ZenWifi XT8 (Ax6600) and USB ethernet dongle for a second multigig port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TBONE204

Regular Contributor
Has anyone successully used the USB port on the XT8 as a WAN so they could free up the 2.5G want to connect back to a 2.5G switch?

I have fiber 1.5G service and I'm trying to figure out how to setup my XT8's along with a 2.5G switch to make 2.5G service available to all my devices.

the issue is the single 2.5G WAN port on each XT8 unit. I can run 2.5G service from the ISP modem to one XT8 but then can't currently connect that to a 2.5G switch unless I have a second 2.5G port available. All LAN ports on the XT8 are gigabit so it makes it impossible to get 2.5G beyond the one router. This is where I am hoping someone has successfully used a 2.5G USB-ethernet dongle to act as a second 2.5G port to get 2.5G service back to a switch in which the node would connect to so that 2.5G service is supplied to all devices.

Has anyone had success with this? if so, what USB-Ethernet dongle did you use (link appreciated)?

would this be available with alternate firmware such as MERLIN/GNUTON?

thanks in advance.

Search the forums. There was exactly a thread like that for the RT-AX86U. Might work better/worse for your router today.

I solved that 'problem' by obtaining a GT-AX6000 when on sale for $230. Yet only one of the XT8s is connected (as AP) @ 2.5 GHz. Likely some configuration /could/ be made to accomplish what you desire

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!