What's new

'Zero Wait DFS' IDL Portal Router Up For Preorder

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
portal_product.jpg
Ignition Design Labs today announced its Portal router can now be ordered on Amazon.

Portal is a QCA-based AC2350 / 2400 MU-MIMO enabled router with a dedicated radio module and cloud service that enables "zero wait" DFS channel switching. It was previewed at CES 2016 and its Kickstarter campaign launched this May.

Portal is no longer unique in its support of quick reuse of DFS channels in a consumer router. Linksys' recently announced WRT3200ACM also supports DFS channels and has a dedicated 5 GHz monitor radio to allow rapid reuse of channels when radar activity is detected.

Portal's price has increased from its $149 Kickstarter run, being listed for $199 on Amazon. The product is expected to start shipping in November.

Last edited:
Best of luck to the Ignition team...

Be honest in what you're selling - be honest with your customers... and keep the box open if things don't work out (startups are hard work - but keep at it!)

Ignition Design Labs today announced its Portal router can now be ordered on Amazon.

Portal is a QCA-based AC2350 / 2400 MU-MIMO enabled router with a dedicated radio module and cloud service that enables "zero wait" DFS channel switching. It was previewed at CES 2016 and its Kickstarter campaign launched this May.

Portal is no longer unique in its support of DFS channels. Linksys' recently announced WRT3200ACM also supports DFS channels and has a dedicated 5 GHz monitor radio to allow rapid reuse of channels when radar activity is detected.

Portal's price has increased from its $149 Kickstarter run, being listed for $199 on Amazon. The product is expected to start shipping in November.

The Portal was never unique in its support of DFS channels as the Apple Airport Extreme and Netgear R8000 also make use of DFS channels but it sounds like the Linksys works in the same way as the Portal in that it's not necessary to reboot the router to get back to a DFS channel. I ordered the portal on October 14 and to my delight I'm scheduled to get it on October 24.

One potential disappoint I have is that for some inane reason the portal cannot support both 5GHz non DFS and 5GHz DFS devices at the same time. My OLED EG9100 supports the 5GHz band but not the DFS channels so I have to either set the compatibility mode (this feature is supposedly coming next week) to "C" which disables the DFS channels to utilize the 5GHz non DFS channels or set the compatibility mode to "OFF" and utilize the 2.4GHz channels (this allows my other devices to support the DFS channels). Strangely enough my 2012 Samsung Plasma does support DFS channels so I'm thinking of leaving the compatibility mode off. I mean the whole point of this router is the ability to utilize the DFS frequencies.

I'm not a router enthusiast so my apologizes if some of my terminology is incorrect - I live in a 10 unit condo building so this particular router appears to be right up my alley.

Last edited:
The Portal was never unique in its support of DFS channels
No it wasn't and didn't claim to be. It was the first consumer router to be able to quickly re-enter a channel vacated due to radar detection by using a dedicated monitor radio.

It will be interesting to see the difference in DFS handling between the Portal and Linksys.

One potential disappoint I have is that for some inane reason the portal cannot support both 5GHz non DFS and 5GHz DFS devices at the same time.
Inane reason? There is only one 5 GHz radio.

No it wasn't and didn't claim to be. It was the first consumer router to be able to quickly re-enter a channel vacated due to radar detection by using a dedicated monitor radio.

It will be interesting to see the difference in DFS handling between the Portal and Linksys.

The sounder/monitor radio can identify other DFS channel candidates if a DFS trigger is found on a channel in use - if a trigger is found in a specific channel, one still has to do the keep out for the required amount of time...

The other advantage of that monitor is that one does not keep ping-ponging in and out of that channel if DFS triggers are present.

"Portal is no longer unique in its support of DFS channels." I was responding to this quote in your first post. I suspect this isn't what you meant but nevertheless that is what you wrote.

Inane reason? There is only one 5 GHz radio.

Yes, there is one 5GHz radio but there are traditional channels and the DFS channels correct? My point is what I stated, devices that support the 5GHz band but not the DFS frequencies will only recognize the 2.4GHz band from the router. A firmware update is coming soon that will add a compatibility mode which will allow the device to also recognize the 5GHz band but in this mode the DFS channels are disabled. Sorry, I can not explain it any clearer but perhaps you can make more of a effort to understand what I'm trying to state instead of responding with a short dismissive quip.