What's new

Zyxel PLA4205: disappointed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rhodesengr

Occasional Visitor
After good experiences with two other Zyxel products (NBG5715 router and WAP3205 AP) I am disappointed in the PLA4205. I have been working to get network signal from my downstairs office to an upstairs bedroom. before running a cable, I though i would try this Homeplug solution. To be fair, I have to say that the hardware worked right out of the box. The throughput was no so great. I get about 5Mbps with the PLA4205's compared to 15Mbps using the WAP3205 in repeater mode). I use Netstress to do the speed tests. I get 78Mbps if I wore both the TX and RX to the router. I think my lap top is not GigE (have to check that). So I understand Homeplug performance varies with wiring and I am pretty sure the wiring situation is not ideal. The upstairs is on a different sub-panel from the downstairs because it was an addition.

My real disappointment is with the software utility. I just could not get it to work at all. There are 64bit and 32 bit version on the disk. I installed the 64 bit version on my W7 desktop. The utility opens but does not detect the PLA4205's. All the fields are greyed out. I tried connecting one of the 4205's direct to the ethernet port on my desktop. The utility still does not see it. I loaded the 32bit version on my XP laptop. It won't even run. I just get a "must close" error when I try to run it. Pretty pathetic.

I was hoping to use the utility to check whatever settings there might be and check for latest firmware to perhaps improve the speed. I checked the Zyxel website and there are no firmware releases or updates to the utility that i could find and no entries at all in the knowledge base. If I can get the software running on my laptop and talking to the 4205's, I might keep them for some use in the future use but otherwise, I'll probably send them back.

most all consumer routers enable you to alter all settings via a web browser and you'd not need to use their special utility application.

the router and the AP yes. The Homeplugs, no. There is nothing in the manual about a web interface for the PLA4205.

yes, I saw the driver get loaded. Still, the Zyxel util does not work. I guess I'll try the Netgear util. Anyway, I didn't get the speed I needed so I am having a cable installed.

Hi - have you contacted ZyXEL Tech Support? We're here in the US, in Anaheim CA. It's free, open Monday through Friday, 8:00AM-5:00PM (PST).

1-800-255-4101 option #5

support@zyxel.com

BTW, the software is only necessary if you have multiple HomePlug networks. You don't need it to connect or manage a pair of HomePlug devices.

Anyway, please contact our Tech Support and they'll be glad to help you.

I too am very disappointed in the 4205 and support

So I sent support an email:

I have a pair of new PLA4205's and testing in the same room on the same
(non-GFI) circuit, the best speed that I can achieve is 100mbps on a
gigabit wired network with CAT 6 cables to the PLA4205's. I'm using LAN
Speed Test, and also just simple windows file transfers between two
computers with SATA III SSDs. There are no significant interference
sources on the circuits or in the vicinity. Using them over different
circuits gives far slower results, well below the wireless that they were
meant to improve on.

Do you have any suggestions to improve performance?

Their response was worse than pitiful, with NO suggestions, just blame my wiring which is in excellent condition and I was on the SAME circuit, moreover I tested by numerous techniques and never got over 100mbps with the adapters 6 feet apart:

The throughput also is determined by the condition of the electrical lines
that are in your home, if they are old or damaged that could cause the
loss in through put. Also, the program that you use is most likely testing
TCP packets the unit were tested with UDP packets. If you have any other
questions please let me know.

Thank you,

Extremely disappointing -- I would never buy another Zyxel product after that joke of a response. Anyone have any idea how to get these POS's working any better?

I'm pleased with the 4 Zyxel devices I use, I get speeds ranging from 55 to 115 Mbps on different circuits in the house, also to a couple of out buildings.

I agree, maybe they shouldn't advertise them as 500 Mbps capable as I never achieved that on the same circuit 12 feet apart.

I'm pleased with the 4 Zyxel devices I use, I get speeds ranging from 55 to 115 Mbps on different circuits in the house, also to a couple of out buildings.

I agree, maybe they shouldn't advertise them as 500 Mbps capable as I never achieved that on the same circuit 12 feet apart.

Same deal with the wireless advertised speeds. 300Mbps? 450Mbps? 54Mbps for 802.11g even. Nobody ever actually gets those theoretical max speeds. Yes, the O/S may report having a connection at those speeds to make you happy, but actual transfer rates are only a fraction of that, as all of Tim's tests show.

I've only been able to get close to the max advertised speeds on wired connections...

Same deal with the wireless advertised speeds. 300Mbps? 450Mbps? 54Mbps for 802.11g even. Nobody ever actually gets those theoretical max speeds. Yes, the O/S may report having a connection at those speeds to make you happy, but actual transfer rates are only a fraction of that, as all of Tim's tests show.

I've only been able to get close to the max advertised speeds on wired connections...

Sure, but with wireless 6 feet from the base station I get within 90% of the possible speed from my wireless devices using the same LAN Speed Test software. 6 feet apart on a single circuit for the 4205's and I get 20% of the rated speed. That's just too far below the advertised speed to be acceptable.

Moreover, I've tested them in 4 different homes on the same non-GFI circuits with nothing else using power on the circuits to stop any interference and never get any faster than 100mbps (using gigabit ethernet ports and ssds so the bottleneck is the 4205's).

I don't expect the 803mbps that I see from wired gigabit (using the same Ethernet cables as used on the 4205's just to insure that wasn't the issue), but at such close proximity 300mbps would be nice for a 500 mbps device, 60% doesn't seem like too much to ask. Or at least a constructive idea from support.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!