What's new

2.4GHz interferences with 5GHz adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KSoze

Occasional Visitor
Hi!

I'm getting what seems to be 2.4GHz interferences using my USB AC56 Dual Band adapter connected to a 5GHz network. When I turn on my old microwave, my client connected to the 5GHz network with this adapter loses a lot packets and my ping skyrockets. I don't get this issue with another dual band adapter, a Netgear A6210. My router is an Asus RT-AC66U. Any ideas? Thanks!

Strange indeed but i would replace the old microwave or don't use the adapter while it's operating.

why do you use wifi near the microwave? Also if a microwave causes interference that means it is not properly shielded. a micowave should have a faraday cage with minimal leakage for your safety.

Depends on how you are from the microwave oven, but I can see perhaps where a 2.4GHz broadband jammer (that's what a microwave is to a WiFi adapter) could impact things... the USB-AC56 is a USB 3.0 device, and as such, could be impacted there...

Maybe the Microwave is causing some type of power line issue? I can't imagine it actually interfering in the 5Ghz range.

Last edited:
It may if the microwave is faulty.

I'm renting this place and the microwave came with it. It works pretty well but it seems to be leaking and killing the WiFi. The thing is, it seems to affect this particular device and no the other one. From what I understand, microwaves work in the 2.4GHz spectrum so a 5GHz adapter shoul be fine. I'm more curious than anything at this point.

I'm getting what seems to be 2.4GHz interferences using my USB AC56 Dual Band adapter connected to a 5GHz network. [...] I don't get this issue with another dual band adapter, a Netgear A6210.
Are you sure both dual band adapters connect the same way? In the 5 GHz band, availability of channels depends on your country. Device settings may lead to one of the clients actually connecting on the 2.4 GHz band.

2.4GHz and 5GHz don't have the same SSID. The speeds I'm getting correspond with Wireless AC over the 5GHz band so it shouldn't be connected with 2.4.

I seem to have traced the problem to the usb stand this adapter is using. The same adapter with the Netgear stand doesn't have any interference whatsover.

I seem to have traced the problem to the usb stand this adapter is using. The same adapter with the Netgear stand doesn't have any interference whatsover.

What is a usb stand?

What is a usb stand?

If it's the one that ships with the USB-AC56, it's the extension cable that the AC56 can use...

Asus_USB-AC56_kit_800home.jpg