What's new

3.0.0.4.374.42_0 dropping connections, PC only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kjarrett

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

My RT-N66U has been rock solid since I bought it until I recently upgraded the firmware to ASUS' latest. After that, my PCs had problems staying connected wirelessly. No other changes to the PCs or router were made other than the firmware when the problems first appeared.

I tried tweaking settings, nothing worked, so I installed Merlin's 3.0.0.4.374.42_0. I first reset the router to defaults, then upgraded the firmware, then manually configured it using screenshots from the prior build (which were flawless until the ASUS firmware was upgraded.)

3.0.0.4.374.42_0 has been on the router for two days and things are better but I am still getting disconnects, "NO INTERNET" messages in Win7. Affected PCs are an older Dell Vostro 1520 (Intel 5100 AGN) and a Thinkpad T420s (also Intel N, Centrino N-6205). Drivers on both PCs are the latest available. Wireless profiles have also been deleted and re-created. 'Troupbleshooting' usually restores connectivity but not always.

Any suggestions? I'm inclined to buy a new router and try it for a week to see if it helps, but, I'd rather not.

Thanks in advance,

-kj-

FWIW my daughter's Macbook Pro has no disconnect issues and as far as I can tell our Android smartphones don't either.

The factory default reset must be done after flashing, otherwise you will still end up with the default values of the old firmware rather than the new firmware.

Kjarret problem looks a lot like my problems.
Random "no internet" connections on Intel AGN5100 card ( Dell XT2) and Logitech radio (not sure about the chipset) but no problems on other wifi devices. .42 firmware, AC66U

Repair often solves the problem, but as with Kjarret not always.
In the case of the logitech radio, a off/on/ cycle solves the problem for some time.

Tried al kind of settings.. 20 versus 40, 20/40 no interference with neighbours.
channel 1 and 6 (40 or channel 6 (20) other networks on 9, 11 and 1

Intel problem?

I suspect Intel as well but if that is true it was something introduced a couple of ASUS firmwares ago, unit's been rock-solid since purchase until recently...

Currently have a 90 minute Discovery Channel documentary streaming via YouTube in HD on my T420s laptop, my Chromebook 550, an iPad 2, and my HTC One; the wife's Vostro laptop is playing an episode of Grey's Anatomy on Hulu, full screen. And I'm downloading the Windows 7 Professional SP1 ISO from Digital River just for kicks.

Web browsing is snappy as usual. Speedtest.net reports almost no loss in download speed, 120-ish mb/s.

We'll see if it continues...

Well that didn't take long.

Both the T420s and Vostro laptops choked. The YouTube stream on the 420s just stopped and Hulu on the Vostro popped up an error message about not being able to play the video. By the time I noticed it, the wifi connections did NOT indicate a connectivity problem (suspect it cleared itself up.)

Meanwhile, every other device is happily streaming away as I write this.

Seems pretty obvious we have an issue with the wifi cards in the two PC laptops.

Can I use Event Viewer to diagnose this further? Or some other tool?

Thanks, kj

I found these two links about the Intel.. looking into it..

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

and
17. Re: Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN connecting to wifi problem
snoopz1
Community Member
snoopz1 19-jul-2013 13:58 (in antwoord op Tecnails)
go to control panel ---> power option --> change plan setting ---> change advance power setting ---> wireless adapter setting ---> power saving mode ---> both "on battery" and "plugged in" : change setting to "low power saving" or something that isn't "Maximum performance"

"Maximum performance" setting cause Intel WIFI 5100 to hang and disconnected.

But they seem to contradict..

Last edited:
Thanks but that did not help. Changed the setting from 'Maximum Performance' to 'Low Power Saving' and it hung up within 5 minutes. 'NO INTERNET ACCESS.' Appreciate the suggestion though!

Having the same problem periodically when connected to RT-AC66u and my laptop. I'm even using the Asus wireless adapter USB-AC51 on RMerlins .42 build.

I'm on 374.41 on my AC66 and had a similar problem where my Xoom tablet & Razr Maxx phone were dropping the connection while other phones, laptops & tablets had no issue.

Oddly, they had no problems with staying connected to my other AC66 which is set in AP mode.

I compared wireless settings and noticed everything was the same except the AP had WPS set to OFF while the one in Router mode had WPS set to ON.

I switched off WPS and it looks like the connection dropping with connections to the router A66 has stopped occurring.

Seems odd, but it worked for my devices . . . YMMV

Appreciate the suggestion - just tried it - no joy. Still dropping.

I've got a Netgear N7000 Nighthawk inbound for testing.

Appreciate the suggestion - just tried it - no joy. Still dropping.

I've got a Netgear N7000 Nighthawk inbound for testing.

Good luck. If you have any trouble with it initially, I would suggest not waiting to return it.

I've seen a couple of reports of people having bug-free operation using stock Netgear firmware but most of the "success" stories are on DD-WRT.

I had a ton of problems with mine and Netgear support was very difficult to work with.

If you get a good one though, you're going to be happy. It's a freaking monster.

I'm having a similar issue with one of my laptops....a Dell XPS 12 with an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wireless NIC. It disconnects when rebooted, and sometimes randomly or when coming out of hibernation. I have a RT-N66U.

I posted in the 374.42 release thread, and Merlin responded that the "wireless driver hasn't changed in the last 3 versions"...which may be true, but then what has caused this demonstrable difference in behavior between .41 and .42?

I went back to .41 last weekend and it solved the problem, but then upgraded again to .42 over this weekend to see if the issue was my drivers or other configuration on my end. I tried various older and newer drivers, played with power management settings, and played with some BIOS power management settings, as well as a feature called "Intel Smart Connect" by enabling/disabling, and removing the Intel drivers.

Nothing works....when you reboot the machine with 374.42, the wireless will disconnect. You can simply go and reconnect it manually with no problem as a workaround. So...it may be back to .41 for me later tonight unless anyone has any pointers or other suggestions.

Last edited:
Try turning 2.4Ghz bandwidth from 20/40MHz to 20MHz. I believe 20/40 is the default. I had similar issues and this resolved it immediately.

I'd also suggest turning of beamforming (Wireless -> Professional) on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. You'll need to turn off two beamforming options per page.

My you can try deleting the wireless profile on your machine and adding it again.

2.4GHz is set for "neighbor friendly" 20MHz. I have removed and re-added wireless profile as part of driver up/downgrades and separately.