What's new

[ 386.13 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tested this build? It's just strange that many users complain about the 386.12 versions, but AFAICS not even one report of trying 386.13 alpha to see if things improve.
Activity usually takes up when the beta comes. And not all people have environments where they can experiment with the network. Besides, what are the chances for improvements in intermittent stability which doesn't even show up in the log, when the GPL from Asus that the whole thing revolves around is not updated?

I have been using this build for "up 2 days, 16:45" without noticing any problems on a RT-AC86U.
Not really tested but just ordinary used. Nothing worrying in the log file.
For how long, and with what setup (you should include that or put it in your signature)? The problem I experienced with AC86U and .12 was intermittent instability where i could use the network for a few hours without issues, but then all of a sudden the next few hours, i would have several disconnection events (relatively quick, >1min but interrupts your activity). If I had only used the network an hour here or there, it could have taken me days if not weeks to discover the issue, depending on luck/frequency of use.

For how long, and with what setup (you should include that or put it in your signature)? The problem I experienced with AC86U and .12 was intermittent instability where i could use the network for a few hours without issues, but then all of a sudden the next few hours, i would have several disconnection events (relatively quick, >1min but interrupts your activity). If I had only used the network an hour here or there, it could have taken me days if not weeks to discover the issue, depending on luck/frequency of use.

My setup is a D-Link DWR-953 with LTE which provides internet to the Aimesh system: AC86U main (Merlin), AC66U_B1 wired node (official fw).
We have three iPhones, a macbook and two Linux computers connected to the network, some wired and some wireless.
Uptime is now 3 days, 16 minutes without any problems with 386.13_alpha1.

A question as a precaution maybe...

If ANYBODY is now apparently already capable of compiling a firmware for ASUS routers... Have safe are the these firmwares? Is there any danger for potential security threats like backdoors, integrated malwares etc.? I mean, of course we trust Merlin but other users randomly posting their firmwares?

Cough cough - time to pitch in an update to the VPN kill-switch, to be moved to the VPN director tab:

Link

Key observation:

In particular, if I have Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel set to VPN Director, then both DNS Configuration and Killswitch have to move VPN Director level as well, under device specific rules. As long as a VPN client establishes a connection, the job in that section is done. VPN client cannot have a kill switch - since it's not linked yet to any particular devices. At this point of "VPN client" we have a VPN going between Asus router and some remote VPN server. There is nothing to kill yet.

VPN director role is then to tell a client to use a particular VPN interface, and then this very section could have buttons to set kill-switch for that device if the interface is not available, and to force DNS to be exclusive too.

A question as a precaution maybe...

If ANYBODY is now apparently already capable of compiling a firmware for ASUS routers... Have safe are the these firmwares? Is there any danger for potential security threats like backdoors, integrated malwares etc.? I mean, of course we trust Merlin but other users randomly posting their firmwares?

Of course, there are potential security threats if you use ANYBODY's firmware.

Time to be selective. To be safe. Is always 'now'.

Have safe are the these firmwares? Is there any danger for potential security threats like backdoors, integrated malwares etc.? I mean, of course we trust Merlin but other users randomly posting their firmwares?

Yes there could be backdoors and security threats on any firmware. This is true with even stock firmware after all it's from China.

Yes there could be backdoors and security threats on any firmware. This is true with even stock firmware after all it's from China.
And China is going to do what - jail you for having expressed the wrong political views online, or having the wrong books stored on you computer? No, that's what western governments do these days.

Small sidebar, but worth thinking about.

If ANYBODY is now apparently already capable of compiling a firmware for ASUS routers
That has always been the case since day one of this project. Everything needed to compile the firmware has always been available on Github.

I mean, of course we trust Merlin but other users randomly posting their firmwares?
That will be up to you to judge how much you trust a firmware provided by someone else. I've rarely seen anyone providing their own builds of Asuswrt-Merlin however, aside from actual forks.

All 3rd party firmware is in category "Use at your own risk". No guarantees. In some regions there are forks more popular than the original.

I was going to upgrade to 386.12_6 but took the opportunity to try the alpha out on my AC66 B1. This was an upgrade from 386.12_4 .

Have just reached 24 hours uptime.

Speedtest, latency (with Adaptive QoS using the FlexQos mod) normal.
Wifi 2.4 and 5ghz both performing as expected, no obvious drops in connections (I have had 2 over 1 hour teams video meetings without interruption), but I have not specifically monitored.
Memory, CPU, logs are all looking as expected.

I cannot test the new IPV6 UI changes fully as I still have an issue with IPV6 outbound not being managed by Adaptive/FlexQoS and being categorised as inbound traffic according to the UI.

Cough cough - time to pitch in an update to the VPN kill-switch, to be moved to the VPN director tab:

Link

Key observation:

In particular, if I have Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel set to VPN Director, then both DNS Configuration and Killswitch have to move VPN Director level as well, under device specific rules. As long as a VPN client establishes a connection, the job in that section is done. VPN client cannot have a kill switch - since it's not linked yet to any particular devices. At this point of "VPN client" we have a VPN going between Asus router and some remote VPN server. There is nothing to kill yet.

VPN director role is then to tell a client to use a particular VPN interface, and then this very section could have buttons to set kill-switch for that device if the interface is not available, and to force DNS to be exclusive too.
Sorry, could you describe that please with a little more details? I am a little bit confused, what I have to check in my configuration. Thank you.

- UPDATED: OUI database used by networkmap and the webui.

I just noticed this alpha build thread this morrning. Does this change fix the issue with network map not updating after a period of time? Would be rather ironic if this is finally fixed when the EOL announcement was just made by ASUS.

I just noticed this alpha build thread this morrning. Does this change fix the issue with network map not updating after a period of time? Would be rather ironic if this is finally fixed when the EOL announcement was just made by ASUS.
EOL for what device?

The OUI database is merely the list of MAC addresses assigned to manufacturers. It's only used to identify which manufacturer a device's from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!