What's new

4G router with built in modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ShadoX

New Around Here
Hello!

I'm searching for a good router with built-in sim modem for my 4G connection. Also LAN ports is needed.
I'm considering one of these alternatives:
- Asus 4G-N12
- Zyxel LET3301
- D-link DWR-921
- TP-Link Archer MR200

These are four alternatives that goes along with my budget. I was looking at Asus 4G-AC55U also, but it feels a bit pricey for my needs right now.

Can you recommend any of the above alternatives, or have any better suggestions?

scrap the dlink and tp-link for security reasons.

Honestly im not sure why go with integrated because you can take any ordinary router with usb port, add usb sim and modem and you're good to go as long as the firmware supports it. I know asus stock firmware supports usb mobile modems. There are many more routers that you can consider if you add up usb sim and modem.

While you may not think you need wireless AC, it is becoming common in many things even phones like my old SGS4 has wireless AC. It also lets you do more like better LAN, better wifi even though your WAN speeds dont exceed practical wifi N speeds. Because wireless AC is newer meaning newer better chips it outperforms the older wifi in every way even with legacy protocols.

The other reason for router with usb port is that you can do other things with it. If there arent enough ports you can try a hub for more ports. You could even use a printer or even attach storage on it (just make sure it has 2 usb ports so the modem is on its own port and not having to fight over usb bandwidth.

The only reason in my opinion for integrated is for portability if you wanted to power it from usb or battery or bring it around.

Many here will say it is better to have modem and router separate but whether to get separate modem or integrate really depends on your needs and situation.

There are even more options but it depends on your skill level. Mikrotik for example have customisable router/AP that have mini PCIe (they have a RB 9xx with wireless AC, SIM, USB, SFP,Ethernet, mini PCIe) for a good price but the OS requires some learning. Lots of options you havent considered and some could be cheap but you would have to select the components separately. Since you dont need such high speeds, you can use openWRT or tomato for routers that the firmware doesnt support usb mobile internet but the CPU needs to be a minimum of 600Mhz MIPS if you want 100Mb/s of internet throughput which is 4G maximum. With 3rd party firmware even a terrible router like d-link or tp-link can be great (just be sure to check hardware revision of considering either of those brands).

Hello!

I'm searching for a good router with built-in sim modem for my 4G connection. Also LAN ports is needed.
I'm considering one of these alternatives:
- Asus 4G-N12
- Zyxel LET3301
- D-link DWR-921
- TP-Link Archer MR200

These are four alternatives that goes along with my budget. I was looking at Asus 4G-AC55U also, but it feels a bit pricey for my needs right now.

Can you recommend any of the above alternatives, or have any better suggestions?

What country and operators are you considering?

In the US, the Big Two (ATT and Verizon) offer different devices - I have an ATT Unite Pro that I use for work from time to time - it's pretty decent as it's concurrent dual band with a 2 stream radio (think N600 class)..

Thanks a lot for the great answers! I'm trying to cut the costs for my internet connection, as i'm offered 150Mbit/s unlimited for 14,90€/month from my current mobile service provider. The other alternatives, more stable ones, are ADSL connection 10Mbit/s for 24,90€/month and cable connection 50Mbit/s for 29,9€/month.

scrap the dlink and tp-link for security reasons.

Honestly im not sure why go with integrated because you can take any ordinary router with usb port, add usb sim and modem and you're good to go as long as the firmware supports it. I know asus stock firmware supports usb mobile modems. There are many more routers that you can consider if you add up usb sim and modem.

While you may not think you need wireless AC, it is becoming common in many things even phones like my old SGS4 has wireless AC. It also lets you do more like better LAN, better wifi even though your WAN speeds dont exceed practical wifi N speeds. Because wireless AC is newer meaning newer better chips it outperforms the older wifi in every way even with legacy protocols.

The other reason for router with usb port is that you can do other things with it. If there arent enough ports you can try a hub for more ports. You could even use a printer or even attach storage on it (just make sure it has 2 usb ports so the modem is on its own port and not having to fight over usb bandwidth.

The only reason in my opinion for integrated is for portability if you wanted to power it from usb or battery or bring it around.

Many here will say it is better to have modem and router separate but whether to get separate modem or integrate really depends on your needs and situation.

There are even more options but it depends on your skill level. Mikrotik for example have customisable router/AP that have mini PCIe (they have a RB 9xx with wireless AC, SIM, USB, SFP,Ethernet, mini PCIe) for a good price but the OS requires some learning. Lots of options you havent considered and some could be cheap but you would have to select the components separately. Since you dont need such high speeds, you can use openWRT or tomato for routers that the firmware doesnt support usb mobile internet but the CPU needs to be a minimum of 600Mhz MIPS if you want 100Mb/s of internet throughput which is 4G maximum. With 3rd party firmware even a terrible router like d-link or tp-link can be great (just be sure to check hardware revision of considering either of those brands).

The reason why i'm considering a router with intergraded sim support is the cheaper cost than buying a good router and a modem separate, looking at modems supported for 4G 150 MBit/s they don't come cheap.
But at the same time I'm a bit afraid for the unstableness in 4G, as I usually share my phone internet connection to computer when watching netflix etc but it have lagspikes now and then, wonder if it any better with a real modem? Or should i just go with the most stable but double the prices, cable alternative?

What country and operators are you considering?

In the US, the Big Two (ATT and Verizon) offer different devices - I have an ATT Unite Pro that I use for work from time to time - it's pretty decent as it's concurrent dual band with a 2 stream radio (think N600 class)..

Finland, using Sonera as my cellurar service provider right now, where i'm offered this cheap 150Mbit/s for 14,90€ a month. Other providers are DNA and Elisa but their alternatives are more expensive.

Thanks a lot for the great answers! I'm trying to cut the costs for my internet connection, as i'm offered 150Mbit/s unlimited for 14,90€/month from my current mobile service provider. The other alternatives, more stable ones, are ADSL connection 10Mbit/s for 24,90€/month and cable connection 50Mbit/s for 29,9€/month.

The reason why i'm considering a router with intergraded sim support is the cheaper cost than buying a good router and a modem separate, looking at modems supported for 4G 150 MBit/s they don't come cheap.
But at the same time I'm a bit afraid for the unstableness in 4G, as I usually share my phone internet connection to computer when watching netflix etc but it have lagspikes now and then, wonder if it any better with a real modem? Or should i just go with the most stable but double the prices, cable alternative?
Its why i suggested getting a usb modem. Sometimes getting a router and modem seperately can be cheaper, more stable as you can choose better parts and you can upgrade things seperately. it also helps for getting things that are supported. USB 2.0 goes up to 400Mb/s practically so just make sure the modem you get does use USB 2.0 and not USB 1.1

Integrated modems do well for portability and compactness but not the best on performance or cost as they are much rarer. What i am hoping for is for modems to become modules or more portable such as being powered via usb or even SFP modules so they can use less power, space and also be cheaper. If you've ever been on DSL before (back when ADSL2 was new) and had an integrated modem router i used to remember whenever i put some load lets say use torrents the router would hang as it couldnt handle that many connections.

Its why i suggested getting a usb modem. Sometimes getting a router and modem seperately can be cheaper, more stable as you can choose better parts and you can upgrade things seperately. it also helps for getting things that are supported. USB 2.0 goes up to 400Mb/s practically so just make sure the modem you get does use USB 2.0 and not USB 1.1

Integrated modems do well for portability and compactness but not the best on performance or cost as they are much rarer. What i am hoping for is for modems to become modules or more portable such as being powered via usb or even SFP modules so they can use less power, space and also be cheaper. If you've ever been on DSL before (back when ADSL2 was new) and had an integrated modem router i used to remember whenever i put some load lets say use torrents the router would hang as it couldnt handle that many connections.

Thanks a lot for the information. I'll do a lot of streaming (Netflix and similar) and a bit of torrent.

Do you feel it's worth a try with the cheap 4g connection or should I just go for the expensive but reliable cable internet connection?

I have just used a 4g connection shared from my iPhone right now but I'm not happy with the limitations(only five connected devices) and it sometimes get lag spikes watching stream. Also feel my connection gets less priority with a big event in town and more connections in a small area.

4G is shared with other users on the same tower so it really depends on location and how many users. However 4G is an option if you arent restricted by bandwidth and the only other options are terrible such as WiMax, ADSL1, old DOCSIS cable with only 1Mb/s.

Professional quality/price, Cradlepoint is strong in this.
They are phasing out their routers with external 3G/4G modems (USB) but the MBR1200b is still sold.

I used Cradlepoint after finding that consumer WiFi routers with plug-in 3G/4G modems are unreliable - and modem support is hard to do, technically and the carriers around the world.

4G is shared with other users on the same tower so it really depends on location and how many users. However 4G is an option if you arent restricted by bandwidth and the only other options are terrible such as WiMax, ADSL1, old DOCSIS cable with only 1Mb/s.

So indirectly your saying a more stable option creates less headache in the future?

Professional quality/price, Cradlepoint is strong in this.
They are phasing out their routers with external 3G/4G modems (USB) but the MBR1200b is still sold.

I used Cradlepoint after finding that consumer WiFi routers with plug-in 3G/4G modems are unreliable - and modem support is hard to do, technically and the carriers around the world.

Thanks for the tip! Looks like that model is quite expensive, but will compare it to other alternatives.

what im saying is if the only other options you have are outdated go with 4G otherwise go with the more stable one. If the ISP for wire isnt good than go with 4G