What's new

87U and NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Allograft

Regular Contributor
Hi all, let me start off saying that I am a newb to NAS.

That being said, Hi.

Here's my deal. Family guy, looking at wireless NAS for the first time. Several late model Mac's at home and 1 windows 7 x64.

I have an 87U and want to attach a NAS for only local access. Not looking to connect to NAS remotely. Historically, I have used a WD USB 2.0 Elements Drive, 2 TB in exFAT, which works great for all the OS's. I love it because it is absolutely silent.

So, in looking at where I want to go, I want to get something that we can all access through the router...just the one router, no bridges, no repeaters etc. Pretty simple for what I'm reading that most of y'all do here.

I think that I would like to do RAID backup, so probably looking at 4 GB or 6 GB for redundancy. I like the WD products, so I'm thinking about a My Book Duo USB 3.0. I'm also thinking about a LaCie d2 USB 3.0 Thunderbolt so that if I ever want to directly connect to a Mac, then I can transfer data super fast with the TB2 port.

The factors that I want to balance are:
-plays well as NAS attached to 87U via USB 3.0
-quiet, prefer very very quiet
-maybe a Thunderbolt connection too for periodic direct PC connections
-can do RAID 1
-can do exFAT format (or if there another format that plays well with both OSX and Windows

Suggestions, thoughts?

I don't see how this is related to ASUS AC routers.

There is a NAS section in this forum where you can get better suggestion and help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!