What's new

9db upgrade antennas on ebay - worth it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The Asus RT-AC66U should be made into a much bigger unit, and spread the antennas out more.

This would eliminate heat problems and better signal from antennas being apart better.

For $200, they should make the case metal, and have fans like some of the better cisco's. (even if they charged a little more)

That is exactly what I experienced. All antennas I tried were worse then the stock ones!!

Too funny, I also got 2 uber long "super good" ones. Yup, back to stock on mine also. CFG'd in recommended pattern 45 deg left, straight up, and 45 deg right. Best reception way upstairs through lots of walls based on inSSIDer readings.

I am still toying with the asus one (looks like a rectangular dish) mentioned on amazon (long delivery 2-4 weeks) though just for more needless fun. Anyone tried that one? Asus vs Asus, so maybe it would work better.

Too funny, I also got 2 uber long "super good" ones. Yup, back to stock on mine also. CFG'd in recommended pattern 45 deg left, straight up, and 45 deg right. Best reception way upstairs through lots of walls based on inSSIDer readings.

I am still toying with the asus one (looks like a rectangular dish) mentioned on amazon (long delivery 2-4 weeks) though just for more needless fun. Anyone tried that one? Asus vs Asus, so maybe it would work better.

I tried the Asus ones too, even the Asus Directional one. No difference. Stock was better.

Hi,
Antenna engineering is still based on empirical field testing on initial design per theory. If one wishes to play with antennas, it will drive him crazy, LOL! Been there in my working days.

Hi,
Antenna engineering is still based on empirical field testing on initial design per theory. If one wishes to play with antennas, it will drive him crazy, LOL! Been there in my working days.

I much prefer that a router have external, removeable antennas. Routers with external antennas always seem to have better range and you can adjust them to meet your needs.

Problem is, the replacement antennas are junk and not matched to the router/transmitter.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!