What's new

A question about RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sir Patriot

Regular Contributor
Hi
I recently buy a RT-AC68U and I am testing it to see what is the maximum speed that I can get from sharing HDD over wireless N and AC receivers.
My laptop is wireless N with one antenna and the maximum speed that I was able to get is 5MB/s and for my cellphone which is AC with I guess one antenna is 6MB/s.
Is it normal?
I was expecting something 35-40 MB/s (of course for 2 antenna AC device) but for one antenna 6MB/s is not low?
Is something wrong with my router?

Thanks

the maximum for one channel of wifi N is 150Mb/s
the maximum practical for one channel of wifi N is 60Mb/s (about 8MB/s)
Than you have the bandwidth going down because of distance. The practical rate of wifi is half of theoratical bandwidth showed.
on the phone file transfer is slow because of the flash chip in the phone. The flash chips are only capable of a few Mb/s depending on the quality of the chip as well.

F
the maximum for one channel of wifi N is 150Mb/s
the maximum practical for one channel of wifi N is 60Mb/s (about 8MB/s)
Than you have the bandwidth going down because of distance. The practical rate of wifi is half of theoratical bandwidth showed.
on the phone file transfer is slow because of the flash chip in the phone. The flash chips are only capable of a few Mb/s depending on the quality of the chip as well.
You are right but can you tell me what is the tested speed over wireless AC on laptop (1 channel and 2 channels)?

on stress test i got above 80% bandwidth utilisation from 1 meter away from the router but with lots of packets dropping and lots of CPU usage because of the stress test software. This is one of my usual nonsensical testing.

the expected bandwidth for wireless AC is up to 60% of the bandwidth you see from the connection status from wifi to wire.
the asus AC68U will do SAMBA at 50MB/s approx.

often times you will see a utilisation of less than 50% from wifi to wire. Half of that when between wifi to wifi of the same radio. not all programs will utilise the bandwidth available even if you had a 10G network. some programs and settings easily use all the bandwidth for LAN to LAN while some will use like 30% of LAN bandwidth for LAN to LAN transfer. This is from experience and what many around here would also say.

on stress test i got above 80% bandwidth utilisation from 1 meter away from the router but with lots of packets dropping and lots of CPU usage because of the stress test software. This is one of my usual nonsensical testing.

the expected bandwidth for wireless AC is up to 60% of the bandwidth you see from the connection status from wifi to wire.
the asus AC68U will do SAMBA at 50MB/s approx.

often times you will see a utilisation of less than 50% from wifi to wire. Half of that when between wifi to wifi of the same radio. not all programs will utilise the bandwidth available even if you had a 10G network. some programs and settings easily use all the bandwidth for LAN to LAN while some will use like 30% of LAN bandwidth for LAN to LAN transfer. This is from experience and what many around here would also say.
What is important to me is copying files mostly video files.
Even 40% of theoretical bandwidth is acceptable for me which is something around 35MB/s but it was shocking for me to see 5-6MB/s transfer speed.
Another question.
Is that possible to install apps on shared HDD over the wifi?

How exactly did you measure wireless speed?
Did you measure transfers through Ethernet?
How do Ethernet speeds compare to wireless speeds?

How exactly did you measure wireless speed?
Did you measure transfers through Ethernet?
How do Ethernet speeds compare to wireless speeds?
I have an external HDD connected to USB3 of router and I copy a file from HDD to my device connected to the router via wireless network.

I have an external HDD connected to USB3 of router and I copy a file from HDD to my device connected to the router via wireless network.

If I use CrystalDiskMark to measure a mapped network drive based of a HDD connected with USB3 on my RT-AC68P, I will get about 55MB using a wired gigabit connection and about 30MB using a wireless connection that Windows shows as being connecting at 700Mb

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online