What's new

A way to see network clients that are connected to APs that are connected to the Asus router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

m_listed

Occasional Visitor
I have a RT-AC68U with a RT-N66U attached to it by ethernet being used as an access point. The client list on the AC68U, despite it being the main router and the one assigning IP addresses to the N66U's clients, doesn't show the wireless clients that are connected to the N66U access point.

Earlier, I was using a cheapo Netgear router as an AP, and the AC68U was able to display its wireless clients under the "Wired" interface along with the Netgear router itself. But with Asus's own AP... nothing!

Last edited:
I have a RT-AC68U with a RT-N66U attached to it by ethernet being used as an access point. The client list on the AC68U, despite it being the main router and the one assigning IP addresses to the N66U's clients, doesn't show the wireless clients that are connected to the N66U access point.

Earlier, I was using a cheapo Netgear router as an AP, and the AC68U was able to display its wireless clients under the "Wired" interface along with the Netgear router itself. But with Asus's own AP... nothing!

(I'm connecting the WAN port on the N66U AP to the AC68U router instead of using one of the LAN ports... could that be a reason? It works perfectly other than the AP's clients not appearing in the router's client list though.)

That is the way it is. The ASUS router sees that the AP is connected using a cable and doesn't check how individual clients are connected to the AP.

That is the way it is. The ASUS router sees that the AP is connected using a cable and doesn't check how individual clients are connected to the AP.
That would be fine, but as I wrote, this is only for using the old crappy Netgear AP. I can't even see clients (on the client list) that are connected to the new ASUS AP, let alone see them as wired.

It's not NAT or something, since I can still access and discover the ASUS AP's clients just fine on the network. It's just the router's ASUS firmware doesn't show them as clients.

Last edited:
I have a old Linskys WRT54G with Tomato, and I see the Clients which are connected to the WRT54G, on my AC87U (and before AC66U).

I have a old Linskys WRT54G with Tomato, and I see the Clients which are connected to the WRT54G, on my AC87U (and before AC66U).

Yep, seems to work for non-ASUS access points, but not with my ASUS RT-N66U as an access point.

The RT-N66U AP can't see wireless clients on the router in its own Network Map clients list either; the old Netgear AP could display all the wireless clients connected to the main router. So this seems to be an ASUS thing.

Can you confirm that the N66U is in "access point mode" and not just in "router mode" with the LAN ports connected.

Oh boy, when I will use my AC66U as an acces point instead of WRT54G, then I'll never see the clients...

The RT-N66U AP can't see wireless clients on the router in its own Network Map clients list either; the old Netgear AP could display all the wireless clients connected to the main router. So this seems to be an ASUS thing.

That sounds about right... if I recall, the network map is part of the routing functionality, binding the DHCP to the client MAC addresses and interfaces...

Different vendors do different things...

Here's an update: just tried the ASUS Router app from ASUS, and it showed all of the clients on the network, no matter what AP they were connected to. So this seems to be a failure of the Client List on the firmware's GUI.

Then again, my AC68U also doesn't respect USB spindown times anymore, no longer does MAC address lookup, and has developed a bunch of weird bugs that all somehow survive the factory resets I do after each Merlin update... Maybe I'm factory-resetting wrong.

I have the same setup and issue. Can you confirm that the clients are also missing from System Log -> Wireless Log?; and that you CAN see the clients if you select LAN -> DHCP Server -> MAC Address dropdown?

If yes to the second, there are obviously different methodologies at work here, not a limitation of the router communications. Hence, a bug in the Network Map.

Posting your firmware version might help get the issue corrected, as all of the last few releases have had bug fixes related to networkmap. (I'm back on 378.56.2)

I have the same setup and issue. Can you confirm that the clients are also missing from System Log -> Wireless Log?; and that you CAN see the clients if you select LAN -> DHCP Server -> MAC Address dropdown?

If yes to the second, there are obviously different methodologies at work here, not a limitation of the router communications. Hence, a bug in the Network Map.

Posting your firmware version might help get the issue corrected, as all of the last few releases have had bug fixes related to networkmap. (I'm back on 378.56.2)
Yes, the clients are also missing from the Wireless Log as well as the DHCP Leases log. They only show up on the DHCP Leases log (until their lease expires) if they roam into the main router's wireless network at some point. Otherwise, no trace of them being on the network is even shown, even though they all function normally.

The ASUS Router app, again, is working beautifully at showing all the clients though (it shows the extender AP's clients as wired, but you can't expect anything more than that).

I have the same problem with AC87U and a ruckus xi3 AP when the client is on the AP they do not showup in the routers clients list,bandwidth monitor it shows the download it is using but not the client, I have a TP Link with ddwrt and tried it as router and I can see clienteles on the ap, also on the Asus I installed the old firmware and I can see clients on the AP so it has something to do with new fw, I think Im sending back this router all i had where bugs

You mean clearing cookies in your browser? Or are you referring to some setting on either the router or the AP?

I'm curious about this as well, because I have a similar issue with the IP's of several devices connected to one AC66U that I use as a "Repeater" and with another AC66U used as a Media Bridge. Both AC66's connect with my main AC3200 router, on which I'm now running Merlin's 380.57.

The GUI on the AC3200 shows IP addresses for both AC66's, but when it comes to the IP's of individual clients attached to those devices, it will aggregate the IP addresses for those connected to the Repeater, showing a small reference number and pop-up text (e.g., "There are 5 devices connecting to the AC3200 through this device"). but it will only show the IP for one of several device's connected to the Repeater, and this is seemingly done at random. For example, it may one day show the IP address of an HP printer connected wirelessly to the Repeater, and then the next day, it will show the IP of a desktop PC connected to the Repeater via an Ethernet cable (but the HP printer is now not shown). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for this. The DHCP lease list in "Administration" also shows none of the device IP's or MAC's that are connected to the Repeater.

Just the opposite is true of the devices connected to the Media Bridge. Those are shown as though they are connected directly via wired connection to the AC3200 (even though the Media Bridge is, obviously connected wirelessly to the AC3200).

And you're saying that deleting cookies in your browser allowed all IP's connected to your AP to be visible? Hmmm. I'll try it, but I'm skeptical.

Sorry if this is a Bump, but ive been encountering the issue with the number next to the device connected. For example, I have the RT-AC68U and I have the RP-AC56 hooked in media bridge mode. However in the client list on the RT-AC68U I can only see either the repeater or the computer connected to it. is there any way for the client list to see both devices. and If possible I would like to hook a small switch to the repeater so i can hook a few more devices into it.

Thanks much guys.
-Joshua