What's new

AB-Solution 2.0 is out! (v2.0.1)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm still lurking around :) Not much to add for a while as I am on DD-WRT at the moment using that script I wrote (still continually adding to it :) )

However, my brother in law is running AB-Solution on his XVortex Linksys ea6900, and the best part....NO ISSUES :)

However, my brother in law is running AB-Solution on his XVortex Linksys ea6900, and the best part....NO ISSUES
Thought so, home brewed is best brew.
That's why absolutely no other ad blocker is allowed around my place. Even the Raspberry Pi lies dormant.
I assume your BIL runs 2.0.1, the best version yet, apart from 1.07.

I believe he is still on your 2.0.1 beta release. However I always update them as I go over to their house (in-laws).
I will add, that my Rasp-pi is running as a pi-hole AS WELL as having local router based ad blocking.

Now if only HTTPS were in the mix :)

Question for you, and it may be out of your scope of responsibility here. I also added IPV6 functionality to my script and can generate dup entries from ipv4 for ipv6 preceded with ::. But, at least in DD-WRT, I need to populate a DNS server for IPV6. Pi-Hole provides me an IPV6 DNS entry to use locally, however of course my own script does not and of course I have not tested what happens when I put in an IPV4 address for an IPV6 DNS server :)

How are you handling the assignment/routing of IPV6 entries to make sure they query the local DNS server first?

Last edited:
Are you running v1.07?
Surely not. The backup of the file you used was made when you updated AB-Solution from version 1.07 to 2.o or 2.0.1 and it made it to
/adblocking/backup/<the file you copied the posted content from>
I said:
Entware replaced the file /jffs/scripts/post-mount.
It saved a backup of all the files to the root of your USB device in jffs_scripts_backup_<date>.tgz

Heh... oops... so I had a backup of 8-27 and 9-27... copied the wrong one... DOH!

I believe he is still on your 2.0.1 beta release. However I always update them as I go over to their house (in-laws).
I will add, that my Rasp-pi is running as a pi-hole AS WELL as having local router based ad blocking.

Now if only HTTPS were in the mix :)

Question for you, and it may be our of your scope of responsibility here. I also added IPV6 functionality to my script and can generate dup entries from ipv4 for ipv6 preceded with ::. But, at least in DD-WRT, I need to populate a DNS server for IPV6. Pi-Hole provides me an IPV6 DNS entry to use locally, however of course my own script does not.

How are you handling the assignment/routing of IPV6 entries to make sure they query the local DNS server first?
Add a pointer record. I use these to route it:
address=/::/::
ptr-record=0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa,::

upload_2016-9-29_22-5-18.png

Is this one working correctly?

View attachment 7355
Is this one working correctly?
Absolutely!
From the App's viewpoint, there are no configuration errors, no missing files, no missing entries in the /jffs/scripts/ files.
Otherwise it would tell you when you start it.

This is a fresh installation. While installing it, it already blocked 2 ads and counted it.
Next automatic counter update is Saturday at 2 am. The (u) option updates that counter as well.

Is there a way for Entware NG and AB-Solution to co-exist ?
Whichever you install first, you best make your own copy of the scripts in /jffs/scripts/ and save them. Then install the second and compare the files, adding back what's missing.
AB-Solution only needs dnsmasq.postconf and post-mount. The latter is the one that is affected when installing Entware.

Whichever you install first, you best make your own copy of the scripts in /jffs/scripts/ and save them. Then install the second and compare the files, adding back what's missing.
AB-Solution only needs dnsmasq.postconf and post-mount. The latter is the one that is affected when installing Entware.

I tried that just now and that does not seem to work.

I installed Entware NG after having installed AB-Solution. (I had backed up Post-Mount, prior). After installing Entware I could see that the Post-mount file had been altered. I then replaced that file with the backed up version (Containing AB Script) and rebooted. Unfortunately AB-Solution does not work and neither does Entware which I kind of expected.

I am obviously missing a step. Is there a way to have the Post-Mount host both Entware and AB ?

This is what I have for bothing Entware and AB.

AB
# DO NOT EDIT THIS MANUALLY. But said:
;then
service restart_dnsmasq
logger "AB-Solution added entries via post-mount"
ln -s /tmp/mnt/2GB/ab-solution.sh /home/root/ab-solution.sh
fi
# end of DO NOT EDIT. And you may edit below as well.

Entware
#!/bin/sh if [ "$1" = "/tmp/mnt/2GB" said:
; then
ln -nsf $1/entware-ng.arm /tmp/opt
fi

sleep 2
if [ -f /opt/swap ]
then
echo -e "Mounting swap file..."
swapon /opt/swap
else
echo -e "Swap file not found or /opt is not mounted..."
fi

You want to cut the ab-solution section out of its post-mount script, and add it to the entware version of the post-mount script. Or vice versa. You end up with one post-mount script that runs both sections.

When the thumbdrive mounts, the link is made from the /entware directory to the /tmp/opt directory. Then rc.unslung is run to start up the entware packages (in my case, pixelserv-tls). Then ab-solution does its thing.

You want to cut the ab-solution section out of its post-mount script, and add it to the entware version of the post-mount script. Or vice versa. You end up with one post-mount script that runs both sections.

When the thumbdrive mounts, the link is made from the /entware directory to the /tmp/opt directory. Then rc.unslung is run to start up the entware packages (in my case, pixelserv-tls). Then ab-solution does its thing.

Thanks for the info, I had kind of tried that but my linux scripting skills are not great, Sorry I am learning about Linux and scripting at the same time so the finess is lacking lol.

I had tried the below Post-mount script which I am guessing is wrong.

#!/bin/sh if [ "$1" = "/tmp/mnt/2GB" said:
; then
fi

sleep 2
if [ -f /opt/swap ]
then
echo -e "Mounting swap file..."
swapon /opt/swap
else
echo -e "Swap file not found or /opt is not mounted..."
fi

# DO NOT EDIT THIS MANUALLY. But, you may edit above.
# This version and future versions of AB-Solution depend on it to be unaltered.
# More entries may be added by AB-Solution dynamically when changing services.
# You have been warned.
# generated by AB-Solution 2.0.1
if [ -d "/tmp/mnt/2GB" ];then
service restart_dnsmasq
logger "AB-Solution added entries via post-mount"
ln -s /tmp/mnt/2GB/ab-solution.sh /home/root/ab-solution.sh
fi
# end of DO NOT EDIT. And you may edit below as well.

Thanks for the info, I had kind of tried that but my linux scripting skills are not great, Sorry I am learning about Linux and scripting at the same time so the finess is lacking lol.

I had tried the below Post-mount script which I am guessing is wrong.
Add:
Code:
  /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung
after:
Code:
Try that. That starts the packages.

But I'm a little confused by your entware directory. If you install entware-ng from the built in script, [entware-setup.sh], your entware directory will be /entware, and your post-mount will say:
Code:
 ln -nsf $1/entware /tmp/opt
What version of merlin and what model router do you have?

Last edited:
Odd issue on my N66U - I'm not able to connect to hotmail.com because I can't get to their authentication site so I added the entries to the whitelist.txt file and did a [p]. Connection was still being blocked. Also continues to block even after a reboot. If I disable AB then I'm able to connect just fine. Re-enabling AB and the problem continues. This shows that the entry is not in hosts-adblock:

admin@--:/tmp/mnt/FLASHDRIVE/adblocking# grep login.live.com *
blacklist.txt:0.0.0.0 login.live.com
blacklist.txt:0.0.0.0 login.live.com.nsatc.net
whitelist.txt:login.live.com
whitelist.txt:login.live.com.nsatc.net

admin@--:/tmp/mnt/FLASHDRIVE/adblocking# ping login.live.com
PING login.live.com (0.0.0.0): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.274 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.265 ms

admin@--:/tmp/home/root# ping hotmail.com
PING hotmail.com (65.55.77.28): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 65.55.77.28: seq=0 ttl=235 time=55.983 ms

Using the "shooter40sw" file. I'm out of ideas of what to try next. Thanks!

AB-Solution is up to date!

ab-solution.sh: 2.0.1 (latest version)
update-hosts.sh: 1.4 (latest version)
log-stats.sh: 1.1 (latest version)

Add:
Code:
  /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung
after:
Code:
Try that. That starts the packages.

But I'm a little confused by your entware directory. If you install entware-ng from the built in script, [entware-setup.sh], your entware directory will be /entware, and your post-mount will say:
Code:
 ln -nsf $1/entware /tmp/opt
What version of merlin and what model router do you have?

Thanks, I will make a note of that.

I have an AC88U and I am running the latest version of Merlin 380.62_1.

Just so its known, whe I set up Entware I used this guide: https://www.hqt.ro/how-to-install-new-generation-entware/

Is it because it is the next generation entware ?

Thanks, I will make a note of that.

I have an AC88U and I am running the latest version of Merlin 380.62_1.

Just so its known, whe I set up Entware I used this guide: https://www.hqt.ro/how-to-install-new-generation-entware/

Is it because it is the next generation entware ?
Ah, got it. The built in script installs entware-ng as well, but to the /entware directory, so it isn't that that is the problem, but that's why we have different scripts.